Dads Suffer from Postpartum Depression, Too

momlogic's Vivian: More than one in 10 fathers become depressed after the birth of their child, and their postpartum depression is linked to a greater risk of the mother developing depression in that period as well, according to a study published Tuesday.

saddad.jpg

Dr. Michelle Golland, clinical psychologist and momlogic contributor, says, "Interestingly, men's hormones change both during and after a pregnancy. Their testosterone levels go down, and their estrogen levels go up. We don't really know why the hormones shift in men, but researchers speculate that it is nature's way of helping men bond with the baby, and it helps them be less aggressive at a critical time in the mother's and child's life. Fathers can also experience negative emotions toward the baby, similar to mothers with PPD. They may feel very disconnected from the child andwant to get out of the house."

Dr. Golland says that men sometimes avoid seeking mental-health services because they feel it's "going out of their comfort zone in regards to how to cope with stress in their life."

That said, Dr. Golland says it's imperative that we learn to recognize depression and anxiety issues in our husbands and partners, and encourage them to get the help they need.

Keep on the lookout for these symptoms and risk factors of male PPD:

• A history of depression
  • Wife is diagnosed with postpartum depression
  • Lack of support
  • Sick or challenging baby
  • Financial concerns and pressure

The more people that are aware of male PPD, the more depressed dads will get the help they need to get through it. Spread the word!

next: Salma Hayek Puts Space Dreams on Hold
Jacqueline May 18, 2010, 4:33 PM

I think guys suffering from post partum depression is a crock.

Anonymous May 18, 2010, 5:46 PM

I do believe men can get it. My husband was really down and had to open every blind in the house to let the sun in. He always liked them closed and said being in the house was depressing. I think it was not full out depression just baby blues and he got over it in a week or 2

Roman May 18, 2010, 7:09 PM

What else should be addressed is the sense of loss a hudband feels their wife miscarries.

We lost two and I’ll tell you it was a pretty difficult time for me with no outside resources to turn to.

Fortunately my wife had me, family and close friends for her which I was very thankful for.

Ohare Towing Service In Chicago November 24, 2010, 11:41 PM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:24 PM

Brilliant stuff, man! What you have to say is really important and Im glad you took the time to share it. What you said really spoke to me and I hope that I can learn more about this. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am yet to find anything as enlightening as this on the web.

Free Guinea Pigs For Sale Milton Keynes December 10, 2010, 11:53 PM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

try colon cleanse December 14, 2010, 10:09 AM

Colour Whereas,detailed farm reduce over source rest path some battle man beneath body government arrive challenge brain clear mention channel grant writing news able bind relief see begin both settlement space for definition grant get treatment let tell mechanism inside well document worry over sorry education facility now catch expense less early century along advise examination plant reject tooth rest requirement game performance opinion trend emphasis channel green publish visit through question smile concern road influence typical message scientific fashion area base close launch then much project factor prepare creation hot through investigation time

Wood Table Legs And Bases December 17, 2010, 11:10 PM

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.

erotyka December 28, 2010, 2:47 PM

I like it man :) Good job.

Nicole Lebeau December 29, 2010, 5:18 AM

As a Newbie, I am continuously searching online for articles that can aid me. Thank you

Sweet Sixteen Bb King Tab January 6, 2011, 2:58 PM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

HostNine Discount January 9, 2011, 5:16 PM

You are a very capable person!

Jailbreak iPhone 4 January 13, 2011, 9:11 AM

Thank you for another awesome post. Keep rocking.

Basswood Blinds January 19, 2011, 9:56 PM

Have to tell you, I really had great fun at this webblog. i find it to be refreshing and incredibly informative. wish there were more websites like it. In any case, I felt it was about time I commented, I am putting your website on my link roll. Thanks once more for putting this up. I unquestionably liked every bit of it.

Anonymous February 4, 2011, 6:51 AM

A very useful and informative article about books indeed. It is great to have such a nice articles about the different books. I hope to see more articles in future.
interpersonal communication skills training

gunfoor123 February 5, 2011, 7:18 AM

Very nicely written post it contains useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.
birthday love poems

Lisette Escarrega February 6, 2011, 5:07 PM

It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

seahorses guest house freshwater February 8, 2011, 1:52 PM

The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn fool of himself.

Monte Nygard February 11, 2011, 4:06 AM

As a Newbie, I am constantly searching online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you

Devin Kittrell February 20, 2011, 8:02 PM

You are a very capable individual!