Did Barbie Get Implants?!

Barbie isn't usually synonymous with modesty; you can typically catch the plastic icon gallivanting around her Dream House in short shorts and tight shirts -- often with her paramour, Ken, in tow. We've come to accept her outrageously proportioned body and irrationally small feet. But now there's a new Barbie in town -- and her plunging neckline has some moms' panties in a twist.

barbie-34.jpg

Each doll in the "Barbie Basic Collection" -- the latest to hit stores -- is dressed in that essential fashion statement, the little black dress. The doll that's creating the stir is the African-American doll in the series. Some moms believe that the busty Barbie has cleavage that mimics that of women with breast implants.

One mom questioned Mattel's new doll on a local news show. "What parent would buy this for their kid?" she asked. "Is that really an appropriate image you want to display for your young daughter?"

So far, there has not been a recall of the doll, and Mattel has kept silent. But you don't have to! What do YOU think? Should this Barbie cover up?

next: Warning: Button Batteries Can Kill Your Child
Janet May 26, 2010, 12:22 AM

Heck, yes, that doll should cover up. There’s no way I’d buy it for my child or any other child. Bring back the old-style Barbie. The one with unrealistic proportions. ;-)

Samantha  May 26, 2010, 9:08 AM

I want to know how this design-the clothing and the barbie itself, went through so many channels in mattel, and through so many people, and not one person suggested that it might be inappropriate? i’m certain that the corporate women working at mattel don’t bare that much cleavage…because it is inappropriate, so why in the hell would they allow it to be shown on a toy, that is supposed to be innocent, for little girls? what kind of example are THEY setting?

ProudMommy May 26, 2010, 9:36 AM

I saw that exact barbie at the store with my mom and sai “OMG”. It isnt only that doll. The other dolls are sporting tiny black dresses. I would understand of these dolls are targeting an older audience ot collectors but not at girls ages 3-12. I completely agree that the doll is inappropriate. It is completely sending the wrong message to our little girls. But it isnt only toys that are sending our youth the wrong meassage. Television and music are also setting the wrong example for children. Obviously they’re set with mind frame that “sex sells” and in some apects they’re right. But they shouldnt be pimping out that idea to our children.

KT May 26, 2010, 11:41 AM

If you don’t like it don’t by it. A lot of us older collectors love them. No need to ruin it for the rest of the country because little princess might get exposed too soon to the world. The thing is they will see MUCH worse things running around school, mostly other girls whoring it up.

dvine May 26, 2010, 11:52 AM

i don’t like this doll @ all.. it’s 2 provocative.. why isn’t the shirt closed up.. was this doll made for boys?

Sarah May 26, 2010, 1:47 PM

I’ve always wondered why anyone would buy ANY type of Barbie for their little girl. This one’s no worse than the regular one that’s got the equivalent of a 26-FF chest. Anyways, when in history has a Barbie doll kept her clothes on more than five minutes after purchase? They’re all equally bad as soon as they’re naked.

miumiu May 27, 2010, 4:24 PM

these dolls are for adult collectors. buy if you want dont if youre offended

Anonymous May 27, 2010, 4:34 PM

I love how the moms complaining about this, are probably the same moms that let their daughter sit around and idolize miley cyrus….

Michael May 27, 2010, 4:36 PM

Since when did they make barbies just for collectors?

Hatter May 27, 2010, 6:06 PM

You know. I think this toy was made for boys but honestly, Why? Why would someone make this doll And slap a ten and up sticker on it. We all know how much little kids are influenced by there idols. Look at the little boy who drown when looking for Sponge Bob. Really little boys will be looking at breasts sooner and little girls will be wearing skimpy outfits by the time they’re in fifth grade. Seriously moms hold on to your daughters while there still yours.

Online Banking Security October 18, 2010, 1:53 PM

I was just chatting with my coworker about this last week over lunch . Don’t know how in the world we landed on the subject really, they brought it up. I do recall eating a amazing fruit salad with cranberries on it. I digress…

Isaac Oxenrider October 25, 2010, 2:04 AM

I enjoyed reading this article, I was just wanting to know do you ever trade featured posts? I’m always in need of somebody to make trades with and merely thought I’d ask.

Marianne Botwinick October 25, 2010, 3:53 PM

Several of the points associated with this write-up are generally beneficial however had myself asking, did they truly suggest that? One point I have got to say is definitely your publishing knowledge are very very good and I will probably be returning back again for any new blog post you come up with, you could possibly have a brand new fan. I saved the site for personal reference.

Tamela Childers October 27, 2010, 10:11 AM

My mate and I had been just talking over this specific topic, jane is constantly wanting to prove me wrong! I am going to present her this particular post and rub it in a little!

Donnell Hosfeld November 2, 2010, 5:49 PM

Well…. Its great article and nice sharing. Thank you…Smile

Louie Gumphrey November 5, 2010, 8:16 AM

Have shared this post will loy my associated too.

Candice Ebersole November 13, 2010, 2:23 PM

My mom and I are looking to create a weblog comparable to this for our internet site, I stumbled across your website trying to find ideas on the theme and page layout. I am taking some coding course in college and not sure if I would have the capacity to develop a blog such as this one just yet. Did you code this site yourself or use a qualified?

Jermaine Triche November 18, 2010, 6:43 AM

All round I think that it is anything to think about nonetheless it may very well just be a little bit little bit of base. In my nation we will have to honer excellent writers and I’m adoring your publish as I do suppose it is actually extraordinarily wonderful.

Full Car Paint Job Price November 25, 2010, 12:42 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 3:15 PM

Very helpful info. I appreciate your effort, finally a decent website with good information in it.