'American Idols' Take On Sinatra

momlogic's Vivian: The remaining five "Idols" took on the work of Ol' Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra last night, with Harry Connick, Jr. as very involved mentor. However, Sinatra's work proved to be quite the challenge for some unsuspecting contestants.

idolmike250.jpg

Connick -- who described the iconic Sinatra's legacy as "great, great songs that can be interpreted in a myriad of ways" -- went way beyond the call of his mentoring duty, working hard on the arrangements and orchestrations of each contestant's song and doling out the requisite constructive criticism. "I should be out laying by the pool," he joked. "You think Shania Twain was up in here doing this?"

Frank's daughters, Nancy and Tina, were in the audience to present a gift that visibly touched Simon: a monogrammed hanky with Sinatra's initials.

Back to the nitty grit: Aaron hit the stage first, crooning "Fly Me to the Moon." His voice seemed a little thin at first, but he certainly looked his dapper best -- and received mild, positive reviews. Randy said he did "a really good job." Kara thought he was good but not as strong as last week, because he lacked charisma. Simon sided with Kara, saying, "Frank had a swagger. If he was a lion, you were a mouse. But you do try hard, and I'm going to give you that."

Casey then took on "Blue Skies," his hair slicked back in his best Mr. Sensitive Ponytail-Man look, but seemed visibly uncomfortable without his guitar strapped to his chest. Randy called it his worst performance. Kara said he "sounded like a lamb" and "needed to work on his vibrato." Yikes. Not good.

"MamaSox"Crystal did a tepid rendition of "Summer Wind" -- which also met with tepid reviews. She certainly looked lovely in a black strapless lace gown that showed off her full back tat, her hair swept in a glam updo. The band overpowered her until the bridge, when she started to throw down a few of her more expressive notes. Randy called it "one of her more subdued performances" and said "it was a little sleepy" for him. Ellen said that at first, it felt like Crystal was swallowing every word, and that she wanted her to loosen up a little more. Kara said Crystal was out of her element, but she "kind of liked it." Simon said frankly, "I love the song ... I don't know if I would have chosen it for you, though, because it felt a little bit indulgent. The first half was too jazzy for me, too small-nightclub. The second half obviously got a lot better. But I'm not going to lie and say that this is one of your strongest performances .... You've had two OK weeks. I think if you survive next week ... now it's about being in it to win it. It's about using this opportunity to nail it week after week after week. I expect better."

"I always try to do what I feel is best for the song," Crystal countered. "To me, it's a sweet love story, and you wouldn't sing it really big like that. If you're singing softly to your lover, you would sing it sweetly. And the song gets bigger as it goes on. I just don't feel like I should just sing really big notes because I'm on 'American Idol.' It should be about the music."

Simon replied, "I was just saying that, for you as an artist, you have one opportunity each week to absolutely present you in the best possible way. And I'm giving you this advice to help you, honestly."

So we'll have to see what happens there!

Meanwhile, Big Mike WAS in his element. His version of "The Way You Look Tonight" was flawless, emotional R&B, and the audience responded in kind. Randy called it an "unbelievable arrangement, unbelievable vocal," and said, "Mike is in it to win it -- this is what I'm saying!" Ellen said that out of everyone, he seemed to have the most comfort on stage and was able to "move easier than everybody else." Kara said that he took us on a journey and lost himself in the song. Simon said, "The first three performances have been OK, but with you ... you put it back in the game." Eyes on Mike!

Finally, affable Lee took on "That's Life." He sounded fantastic, and he was far more confident than usual. Randy admired how he "stayed his rocker self," Ellen said, "If this was the last night of performances, you would've just won this whole thing." Kara said she thought he could win this thing, and Simon called Lee's song "by far the best performance of the night so far."

So: The night's shining stars were Lee and Mike, MamaSox was fair to middling and Casey seems like he's on the chopping block. Who'll stay? Who'll go?

What do you guys think?

next: Immigrant Families Flee Arizona
Webmaster Forum March 3, 2011, 3:44 PM

Definitely imagine that that you said. Your favourite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest factor to be mindful of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same time as other folks think about worries that they just don’t recognise about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and also outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

Dagny Meile March 4, 2011, 8:05 PM

It’s an interesting view for sure and I appreciate it so this is a little something for all…
Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have. :)

Getting laid March 5, 2011, 12:03 AM

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I’m very satisfied to look your post. Thank you a lot and i’m taking a look ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

white dressers March 5, 2011, 11:55 AM

Unquestionably imagine that that you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest factor to have in mind of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst people consider concerns that they plainly don’t recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as smartly defined out the whole thing without having side effect , other folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

Alden Pahls March 5, 2011, 10:34 PM

I love this article very much. I will certainly be back. Hope that I can examine far more insightful posts then. Is going to be sharing your knowledge with all of my associates!

ucak bileti March 6, 2011, 8:09 AM

Can i use rss feed of your website?

Ocie Tamburrelli March 6, 2011, 1:53 PM

That makes sense to me but does this?

Life exists for no known purpose. :)

Easter Biby March 7, 2011, 9:38 AM

I am not so rapier-like to be well-suited to register accomplished stuff like you do but I am trying to pay it back so hoepfully this will afford you a toothful grin or make you burst out laughing or at the very least give you a thought for the day? : Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.

what is chickenpox March 7, 2011, 5:49 PM

Thank you for this unique article. I especially enjoyed reviewing it and ought to discuss it with everyone.

Ruthe Michelin March 7, 2011, 10:59 PM

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your web site in web explorer, might check this… IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a large portion of folks will pass over your great writing due to this problem.

Marantz PMD661 March 8, 2011, 12:29 AM

Just to let you know your web page looks a little bit strange on Safari on my pc with Linux .

vimax pills March 9, 2011, 9:34 AM

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

sohbet March 9, 2011, 10:05 AM

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing…

vimax March 9, 2011, 12:38 PM

Couldn?t be written any better. Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

Doodle Art March 9, 2011, 9:47 PM

Another interesting post, thanks a lot. I have looked over more posts around here and I you’ve got some nice content. Cheers.

Nintendo March 11, 2011, 8:18 PM

Helpful information. Lucky me I discovered your site unintentionally, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

Marlene Rauda March 11, 2011, 9:31 PM

I needed to give thanks to you for your competence and fantastic web site.

vigrx March 12, 2011, 4:17 AM

Simply, admirable what you have done here. It is pleasing to look you express from the heart and your clarity on this significant content can be easily looked. Remarkable post and will look forward to your future update.

Heather Echeverri March 12, 2011, 6:21 AM

Very nice publish, thank you so much for sharing. Do you have an RSS feed I can subscribe to?

bydło opasowe March 12, 2011, 7:35 AM

I’d should check with you here. Which is not one thing I often do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!