Why Gay Marriage Is Good for Straight People

Diana Landen: If America would just allow gay people to get married, it would be better for all of us. Let me explain.

Cake topper

"Each one of us, whether we ever marry or not, benefits from the ways a healthy marriage culture protects children and the common good." -- National Organization for Marriage (NOM) pamphlet

I don't know whether to scream or cry. Our society desperately needs more strong, healthy marriages that last a lifetime. The members of NOM could be fighting to create them. Instead, NOM just wants to keep gay people from marrying each other.

Have they thought this one through? Who, exactly, are the gay men and lesbians supposed to marry? Some of my best friends are gay men, but I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one.

My friend Debra dated a gay man in college. He told her she kissed wrong. Debra was beautiful, but Tim managed to make her feel unattractive. Debra was lucky, though: It was the 1980s, and Tim eventually came out, moved to Amsterdam and married a man.

Not everyone is so lucky. My friend Alec married a lesbian. She would push him away when he tried to hug her.

A generation earlier, Alec might have spent his life in a doomed marriage. Instead, Alec's wife was able to accept herself and come out to him before they had any children. Alec went on to find happiness with a straight wife who enjoyed his lust.

Marriages between gay and straight people are not healthy marriages. They are based on a lie. Gay-straight marriages lack the passionate love that marriage thrives on, and they have no way to create it. The truth leaves the straight partner feeling betrayed, hurt, embarrassed and angry. The straight person's sense of self can be shattered -- especially their feelings about their sexuality.

Meanwhile, the gay spouse struggles with feelings of guilt and self-hatred. Frequently, they are unable to be faithful. So we have former pastor Ted Haggard accused of visiting a prostitute and paying hush money over an affair with a church member. We have former Congressman Eric Massa accused of sexually harassing his male employees. Former Senator Larry Craig had apparently been ready to have sex with a stranger in a bathroom.

Not surprisingly, gay-straight marriages rarely last. The Straight Spouse Network estimates that only 17 percent of mixed-orientation marriages will still be together three years after the gay or lesbian spouse comes out. That's an 83 percent divorce rate -- twice as high as the already-high national rate of 40 percent.

And what about the children in all of this? Before he was caught hiring a male prostitute to carry his luggage, minister and anti-gay activist George Rekers testified against adoption by gay parents in several court cases. Children, he argued, need parents who present positive role models of relationships between men and women.

Apparently Rekers thinks it is better for kids to have a father who visits prostitutes than two fathers who love each other.

Or maybe Rekers thinks divorce is good for children. Ironically, the former president of NOM, Maggie Gallagher, has written about the benefits of marriage for children. She argues that children with married parents are richer, healthier, better behaved, more educated, more successful and more likely to have lasting marriages themselves.

The truth is simple: Gay-straight marriages lead to adultery and divorce. They are dishonest, unhappy, unhealthy and bad for children. Gay marriages are the solution, not the problem.

It's long past time to accept and celebrate gay people and support them marrying each other. And maybe if people stopped fighting gay marriage, we could get to work figuring out how to strengthen American marriage.

Took me time to think about every single one of the commentary, other than I in actuality loved the commentary. It proved being in truth cooperative to me and I am optimistic to each and every one the commenters here! It’s in the main fine when you be able to not just be informed, but in addition entertained! I am helpful you had pleasurable writing this write-up.

Firm Sagging Breast Naturally April 3, 2011, 2:04 PM

Took me time to explore every one of the commentary, except I in actuality enjoyed the editorial. It proved being in actuality helpful to me and I am constructive to every one of the commenters here! It’s usually fine when you can not just be informed, but in addition entertained! I am helpful you had pleasing writing this write-up.

drywall Boise April 3, 2011, 8:20 PM

I have been surfing online greater than 3 hours lately, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the internet can be a lot more useful than ever before.

vegas packages cheap best April 4, 2011, 2:06 AM

Some genuinely interesting info , well written and generally user pleasant.

Cheap solar panels April 4, 2011, 3:52 AM

Thankyou a whole lot for leaving this!

Forrest Coppernoll April 4, 2011, 5:57 AM

recovered a key that long

erotikshop April 4, 2011, 7:07 AM

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually recognize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my website =). We can have a hyperlink exchange arrangement between us!

consolidate debt April 4, 2011, 8:17 AM

Thank you for making the honest try to give an explanation for this. I feel very robust approximately it and wish to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra in depth wisdom, could you mind including more posts similar to this one with more information? It will be extremely useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

Replacement Windows April 4, 2011, 3:59 PM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

artikel April 4, 2011, 6:31 PM

Really clear site, regards for this post.

Solar Panels For Home April 4, 2011, 8:38 PM

Your current writing is excellent and gives food for thought. I really hope that I’ll get more moments to read your blogposts. Regards. I hope that you publish new texts and invite you to greet me

Thanks for making the sincere effort to talk about this. I feel very robust approximately it and would like to read more. If it’s OK, as you gain more intensive knowledge, might you mind adding more articles similar to this one with additional information? It could be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my friends.

watch daybreakers April 4, 2011, 10:17 PM

I loved up to you’ll obtain carried out proper here. The caricature is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you want be turning in the following. sick surely come more beforehand again as exactly the same just about a lot regularly within case you shield this hike.

chunky silver jewellery uk April 4, 2011, 11:44 PM

Excellent points?I might be aware that as someone who in reality doesn’t write on blogs a lot (in fact, this can be my first post), I don’t suppose the term ‘lurker’ may be very turning into to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the least , however most likely the blogosphere may get a hold of a better, non-creepy title for the 90% folks that experience studying the content .

artiklar April 5, 2011, 9:00 AM

wonderful post.Never knew this, appreciate it for letting me know.

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 9:49 AM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

tutorial iphone development April 5, 2011, 3:30 PM

I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for posting .

Homes For Sale In Brentwood CA April 5, 2011, 6:21 PM

I don’t always agree with everything you say, however you always get me thinking! Instead of arguing with you this time, I’ll just say, “thanks for thinking”!

carpet cleaning washington dc April 5, 2011, 8:46 PM

Hey mate, greetings from Hawii !

BMW news April 5, 2011, 9:04 PM

That was interesting . I admire your quality that you put into your post . Please do move forward with more like this.