World's Worst Mother's Day Gifts

While they say that it's the thought that counts, give us a break! Every mom knows that there are some seriously bad gifts out there for Mother's Day. Here are our top picks for the world's worst gifts ....

Gifts Mom Doesn't Want for Mother's Day

Another Ceramic From Color Me Mine

It was cute the first time but after a closet full of mis-painted bowls and vases and pencil holders and more -- Mommy's had her fill. As much as we love a handmade gifts, Color Me Mine is no inexpensive craft.A handmade and (practically free) card would mean just as much as dropping $50 on a piece of ceramic, which will eventually end up in a million pieces on my kitchen floor.

Anything With 'World's Best Mom' Printed On It

As much as we take pride in being mothers, please just tell us and save the cash on a beyond-generic mug or t-shirt or picture frame. The adding challenge in receiving a gift like this is you can never get ride of it. We can't exactly casually place his kind of a gift in the neighborhood yard sale box.

Yet Another Generic Bath/Body Gift Set

Have you looked underneath Mom's bathroom sink lately? Yes, it's filled with stuff like this from as far back as '88.As much as we'd love to be able to sit around and take hour-long baths, using all these bubbly treats, it ain't gonna happen.

All Kitchen Appliances

Nothing says you love mom like a toaster! And yes, even though smoothies are fantastic, blenders count too. Actually -- all items with a plug that require a ton of kitchen storage space and a ton of clean-up time.

Never-Fulfilled, Made-Up Coupons

These might have been cute when the kids were three but when your teenage son drops you one of these, you know it's a 100% crappy gift. And by the way, has anyone ever have one of these fulfilled?! If so, props to you for being so pissed at receiving one, they had to make it right.

Kitchen Pots

Gifts mom gives to help one to survive college and really, more out of the house all together, are not gifts to be given to mom for Mother's Day.

On that note, really, anything in the home/kitchen department of Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc.

Cleaning Supplies

Even if they are luxey "green" products, just say "no!"

This is the worst gift we've ever heard.

Kitchen Knives

No matter how expensive they are, knives are gifts that one buys oneself. Period.

Kendra May 4, 2010, 3:16 AM

Those are some overplayed gifts but i would never tell my kids that.The thought does count and if they make it by themselves no matter what it is i will treasure it.Te last thing a mom needs is to materialistic when it comes to their kids giving them gifts.

Louise May 4, 2010, 3:54 AM

I just read “Worst Mothers Day Gifts”, with the exception of the hand made gift cards and cleaning supplies, all those gifts can be re-gifted throughout the year, think about it, those little gift baskets filled with bath soaps, etc. and the ceramic items can be regifted at Christmas, the knives and the appliances can be regifted into House Warming or Bridal Shower gifts.

The Mothers Day mugs, well, their is always a new mom or mom to be who would love one of those.

Also if your church has a thrift store or bizarre, all these things (again with the exception of the gift cards and cleaning supplies) can be donated.

Michele Weibel May 4, 2010, 5:26 AM

“a gift like this is you can never get RIDE of it.”

I hope the mom who wrote the above sentence, along with those who proofread it, do a better job checking their kids’ homework than writing articles like this one.

hand-made loving momma May 4, 2010, 5:38 AM

I would like to say not every mom is hard to please or ungrateful. I really do believe in consideration of the thought behind the gift. If your toaster is broken or you don’t have one, you might smile at the sight of a brand new one. Somehow, I think that World’s Greatest Mom or hand-painted by a loved one ceramic plate will be priceless when the children have all grown up and moved away!

Crystal Martin May 4, 2010, 6:26 AM

Yes, it IS the thought that counts. Especially if you’ve ever lost your loved ones and would give anything in the world to even be able to see or hold them. A good friend just lost her son and would give anything just to have him with her! People need to stop caring more about the stupid gift and think more about the people in their lives.

Anonymous May 4, 2010, 6:55 AM

I’m a big supporter of “It’s the thought that counts!” I loved every mug, piece of costume jewelry, etc., that my children have ever given me and now my grandkids give me. In my eyes, they can never give me a bad gift.

Arlene May 4, 2010, 7:00 AM

I am a big supporter of “It’s the thought that counts!” I have loved every mug, piece of costume jewelry, etc., that my children have given me and now my grandkids give me. As far as I’m concerned, there is no “bad” Mom’s day gift.

Kathy from PA May 4, 2010, 8:28 AM

Mom always said that she wanted flowers before she passed away and not after, so that she could see them and appreciate them. In fact, that was her wish for every holiday or for “just no particular reason”. So, for each Mother’s Day, I honored her request and gave her flowers. Now that she’s gone, I am so glad that I did.

Nakia May 4, 2010, 10:14 AM

The best Mothers’ Day “gift”? A request for homework help. From my abusive ex-husband, three weeks after I had given birth to our son. I’ll take the World’s Best Mom mugs over this. I’ve gotten the random bath and body stuff too, just not for Mothers’ Day. It’s ridiculous when you consider that I make bath and body products, with much better ingredients than are usually in those things.

Sherry May 4, 2010, 11:38 AM

Wow this is a snotty article. The only thing I wouldn’t love is the cleaning products. Everyone always says to never buy a woman an appliance, that’s a load of crap. If my kids gave me a much-needed or wanted appliance I’d be thrilled.

Beth May 4, 2010, 12:07 PM

In regards to my child, anything that she put her thought and heart into would be cherished. If she got excited over making or purchasing something, anything, for me, then that’s the gift. It is most definitely the thought that counts.

Danielle May 4, 2010, 1:35 PM

I think I win. What about NO presents on mother’s day? I’d gladly take the expensive cookware :)

Danielle May 4, 2010, 1:37 PM

OR even a card, home made whatever…I’ll take anything sweet like that. Sentimental and from the heart.

karlene May 4, 2010, 3:41 PM

I just read your worst mom’s day gifts and I can tell you that for my first mother day gift from my old boyfriends son was a frog in a jar where he got when he went camping with his friends

Vanessa May 4, 2010, 7:31 PM

Of course, anything my sons have made for me, signed their names to, or personally picked out for me on Mother’s Day- I still have stored away. It’s when their dad tries to help out - like when he thought I really needed that food dehydrater so he could make beef jerky!

Jaci May 5, 2010, 4:55 AM

While I agree it is the thought that counts, there is a point in that sentence, THINK! If mom doesnt like to cook than pots and knives are a bad idea, but if mom has been hinting about a ceramic pairing knife (hey hubby read here!!) than a knife is a great idea! Although one time hubby got me a new vacuum for mothers day, I have him a look and he said “what, you wanted a new vacuum!” yeah but not for mothers day LOL

TC May 5, 2010, 7:43 AM

There isn’t a worsed gift for me
I have memories of giving birth to my 2 great daughter ,which in return gave me my 5 grand cildren.Thats the BEST not the WORST

Amy May 5, 2010, 11:36 AM

To all the moms protesting, “the thought DOES count…” Of course it does! But the thing about all these gifts is that they’re so thoughtless. A handmade gift, a heartfelt card, any gift that says, “you’re a great mom”-those are great… A gift that says, “you’re a great maid”? Not so much. I thought this post was funny ‘cause it’s so true.
Here’s to families stepping up their game! And Happy Almost-Mom’s Day, everybody!

MrsB May 5, 2010, 3:10 PM

At what age should a daughter give gifts to her Mother for Mother’s Day. I have never taught my daughter this tradition.

Judy May 6, 2010, 5:06 AM

I have one that is even worse.
NOTHING!
The worst gift ever is your children not doing anything at all.