Is 'Glee' Too Racy for Tweens?

Kate Meyers: Is "Glee" too racy for tweens? Not mine.

Glee

If my daughter Emmy, 12, hasn't already seen it in a PG-13 movie, watched it in a trailer at the theater or heard it in the hallway at school, I'd be more surprised than Tiger Woods' sponsors. I'm way more worried about what kids her age read in the newspapers every day -- global warming, oil spills, child slavery, suicide bombing -- than about them watching a clever drama about high school. Teenage pregnancy, backstabbing, bad boys, sexting, homosexuality -- "Glee" is like a sneak preview of life.

I look at good TV ("Gilmore Girls" and "Friday Night Lights," to name two favorites) as a fabulous way to educate my children. I'm not telling them how the story ends -- they watch it, they see the consequences, they discuss it. They follow the play, acted out beforehand, so they understand their choices and the roads that follow when it becomes real. How cool to have a shared point of reference to discuss things with my girls. Plus, I don't need anyone to tell me what's too racy for my kids -- they let me know. We call it the "Tell me if it's inappropriate" check. My daughters are 12 and 15, and I'll warn them if something may have questionable content. Then, if what they see doesn't work for them, they'll cover their eyes and ask me to tell them when it's over. I kid you not.

Emmy and I rented a three-episode disc of "Glee" one Saturday night when nothing at Blockbuster was speaking to us. We LOVED it. The best moments -- and they happened frequently -- were when everyone was bursting into song. What could be more old-school than that?

next: Moms Sound Off About 'Leave Your Kids at the Park Day'
JD in Van May 20, 2010, 4:30 PM

My daughter (10) and I watch Glee together every Tues night. It’s become our girl time ritual. Mine, like yours, has been allowed to develope her own meter of what’s appropriate as I personally believe in absolutely minimal censorship (the only things I say no to are ultra-violence and graphic sex) and much to my pleasent suprise, my daughter tends to censor herself far more strictly then I ever would for the most part. When we do come across material that is questionable I use that as an opportunity to discuss it and talk about what it is about that material that’s questionable. Glee actually has lead to several conversations about teen pregnancy and sexual orientation and boys and dating.

CH May 21, 2010, 11:26 AM

This is great, and honestly I’m really glad to hear you’re using Glee as a vehicle to talk with your daughter about real issues while also getting great bonding time out of it. I adore the show, and I think it’s a great candid look at real issues kids face (even if they sometimes have to face them way too young). I babysit for a family that won’t their 15 year old daughter watch the series, and I think it’s unfortunate because she’s missing out on a candid snapshot of reality that’s couched in good music and fun storytelling. Kudos to you for turning the show and all of its points into a teaching tool. You also get great music to enjoy in the car, too! :)

CP July 19, 2010, 9:18 AM

I watched Glee with my 21 year old last night and found it offensive. H.S. Girl: I’m not bulimic. My gag reflex didn’t kick in. Counselor: That will actually serve you well later in life. Are you kidding me??? This is appropriate for kids? I find it far too racy for my 13 year old but most of all, it doesn’t meet MY standdard of what’s appropriate. It’s sad too, because the singing is awesome. Oh well, another show that gives into the sexually charged culture. No thank you.

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 3:56 PM

As a member with the fashion business, I salute you.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 5:12 PM

Nice site. Thanks so much, keep up all the work.

marbella apartments for rent December 10, 2010, 5:35 AM

Very useful information. Great post, finally a decent website with good information in it.

Merchant Services December 23, 2010, 6:18 PM

Thanks for the helpful information.

Watch Full Movies Online December 29, 2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the fantastic ideas. Please meditate upon some of the many blessings on this world, and share them with others. It’s a great blessing to pass along good things. Work exhausting to do one thing special for others everytime you can. Make every part more particular for everyone.

Nelson Brittan January 19, 2011, 1:07 AM

Very helpful site. Very helpful, have a nice day!

bedroom window treatments January 22, 2011, 1:23 PM

Hey, I’ve been comeing here to your webblog for weeks now and I always pick up a gem in your posts. Thanks for the share. Thank You For This Post, added it to my favorites. Thanks once more for putting this online. I certainly liked every part of it.

Catherin Founds January 24, 2011, 8:39 AM

I cant say Im in complete accordance, props to you for taking the time to write it down

Kelley Sicks January 25, 2011, 3:18 AM

Coming through the standpoint of a fellow member with the fashion business, I truly appreciate your post.

Chas Raffield January 27, 2011, 2:25 AM

Very helpful information. I appreciate your effort, you describe the topic very well

Non Traditional Wedding Ceremony Samples February 17, 2011, 9:44 AM

Let me not be understood as saying that there are no bad laws, nor that grievances may not arise for the redress of which no legal provisions have been made. I mean to say no such thing. But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed.

Hana Martie March 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

extreme book you’ve chalk up

Tom Barrasso Jerseys March 24, 2011, 7:50 PM

Hello may I extract some of the insight from this despatch if I provender a vinculum subvene to your site?

Patrick Kane Jerseys March 25, 2011, 6:38 PM

I withstand like I’m constantly looking payment gripping things to read there a multifariousness of topics, but I manage to classify your position among my reads every epoch because you organize compelling entries that I look forth to.

Troy Brouwer Jersey March 26, 2011, 2:35 PM

I am exact beholden to to you for posting such stuff.This de facto help me lot.I definitely appreciate your work.

Air Jordan 3 March 30, 2011, 8:42 PM

Hi there, I honestly like reading your posts, hold responsible you!

Lynn I. Hill March 31, 2011, 3:36 AM