Sarah Jessica Parker Spent Almost 2 Months Away From Babies

Jessica Katz: According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, Sarah Jessica Parker has an estimated net worth of $130 million -- prior to "Sex and the City 2" (which premieres on May 27). That's not even including her hubby's salary. So I think it's safe to say that she will be able to afford those Manolos for a long, long time. She's in a financial position many of us would love to be in.

sarah jessica parker

In the May issue of Vogue, SJP admitted that she was away from her newborn twins (Tabitha Hodge and Marion Loretta Elwell) for about eight weeks while filming "Sex and the City 2." In the article, she says, "I haven't seen my daughters for almost two months, with the exception of Skype." According to Parker, the babies -- born June 22 -- were too young to get their H1N1 vaccine and therefore couldn't travel to Morocco for filming.

That's a huge sacrifice. SJP has talked about how long and hard she had tried to conceive again, and how eventually she turned to surrogacy because nothing else worked. How could she stand to be away from something she worked so hard for? Yet she also worked long and hard for her career. How do you choose between the two passios ... and why should you have to?

This is the never-ending challenge of motherhood: How to keep your career, your figure, your persona and your sanity -- as a mom. It's not easy for any of us. Some critics might say that SJP could have found a way to see her babies. But even if she flew her twins over in a private H1N1-free jet, who knows if they might have contracted something in Morocco that they hadn't yet been vaccinated for. And then she'd be judged for that!

Many times as moms, we feel like we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Each mom has to do what feels right for her, and follow her own instincts. I personally cannot imagine any paycheck or project that's worth being away from my babies for such an extended period of time. In my opinion, you can't get those moments or milestones back. But SJP was likely under contract, and couldn't get out of filming even if she'd wanted to. I am saddened to hear that she was ever faced with this dilemma.

Have you ever felt like you had to choose between your kids and your job?

sarah jessica parker

Sarah Jessica Parker Steps Out With One Of The Twins!

next: Screw Teacher Appreciation Week
Kelly@Childhood May 3, 2010, 8:07 AM

Just yesterday someone asked me how the Bloggy Boot Camp conference went for me. I thought they were being genuine… but in reality… they wanted to take that moment to remind me that I shouldn’t be away from my children too much.

Thanks for your concern nosey woman… but I am a stay at home mom. One weekend away from my children will not scar them for life.

To be completely honest… If I don’t get away now and then. I am a worse mother. I’m cranky and distracted. Taking some time away refreshes and recharges me.

Beki Sciacca May 3, 2010, 9:00 AM

Unfortunately, SJP is not the only one affected by her absence. There are neurological, brain growth, chemical, and other critical developmental things going on in a baby’s life that depend on being close to the one who carried them in pregnancy. It’s about attachment. Not to say that the challenges created by her absence are irreversible, but I do hope that she has/will consult with an attachment specialist to understand how she might try to undo some of the damage. (I recommend Bryan post, Heather Forbes, Allan Schore, others who understand the brain science behind attachment issues.)

Terri May 3, 2010, 11:15 AM

I’m in that position right now! This article couldn’t be more timely, I have to travel for work tomorrow and will be gone for 3 nights/2 days. My LO is 7 months old and EBF so it’s a real challenge. If my husband wasn’t between jobs, I’d be looking for another one that does not require travel… or be a full time mom.
I have to pump at a client site and travel home with milk. I still haven’t figured out the logistics of the hours between leaving the client site and getting home. I may find myself in the airplane restroom pumping! This is not what I envisioned…

Tabia May 3, 2010, 4:00 PM

I think 2 monthes is too long to be away from your babies,maybe a pre teen.Couldn’t she have had her babies in the same city as her.

Anon May 3, 2010, 6:08 PM

She’s got to support those babies!

rachel May 3, 2010, 6:40 PM

‘passions’ is spelled wrong. spell check anyone?

ChloeA May 3, 2010, 8:21 PM

@Beki Sciacca

Have you met this mother or her children? If you have neither met nor evaluated either of the twins how do you KNOW there has been any damage done, irreversible or otherwise?

Me May 5, 2010, 7:38 AM

That’s way too long, especially considering it’s not something that is necessary! It’s not like the family will starve if she didn’t do the film. Very sad for those kids… I can’t imagine being away from my kiddos for even a few days muchless two months!

Jillian May 6, 2010, 1:32 PM

well considering she didn’t carry or give birth to the babies it’s not surprising she could be away from them for 2 months..probably only see them occansionally when she is home and someone else cares for them

pharmacy technician May 7, 2010, 9:10 PM

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Beki Sciacca May 11, 2010, 3:31 PM

@Chloea
Of course I haven’t met them.
The information I provided isn’t based on my opinion; it is based on the work of people like Dr. Bruce Perry (Senior Fellow of The ChildTrauma Academy, a not-for-profit organization based in Houston (www.ChildTrauma.org) and adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Northwestern University School of Medicine in Chicago); Dr. Allan Schore (clinical faculty of the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, and at the UCLA Center for Culture, Brain, and Development); and others who specialize in attachment and the brain.

Diane May 28, 2010, 1:16 AM

This woman is not what she is made out to be. No mother would leave her babies for something as non-essential as making a movie and, in this case, not even a good movie. She is self-centered and irresponsible. She couldn’t even trouble herself to carry those children. She had a surrogate do it so she wouldn’t lose her figure. She is vain and shallow but she has perfected the art of appearing to have depth.