Immigrant Families Flee Arizona

momlogic's Julie: CBS reports that Manuela Quintana, a mother of 10, is fleeing Arizona now that the state's governor has signed the new immigration law.

manuela quintana

Her 10 children were born here and are U.S. citizens. Both she and her husband are undocumented, and currently unemployed.

She said that her biggest fear is being put in jail and having her children taken away from her. Her 12-year-old daughter is terrified of that possibility, too.

This seriously makes me sick. Basically, a cop can come up to anyone at anytime and ask to see their papers. Can you say "RACIAL PROFILING"?

What do you think of this new Arizona immigration law?

next: 'American Idols' Take On Sinatra
CiCi May 5, 2010, 8:52 AM

Who the hell is supporting her TEN children if her and her husband are unemployed?! I’m sorry, I see nothing wrong with the new law.

amanda May 5, 2010, 9:19 AM

Umm HELLO.. It is not racial profiling. She is an ILLEGAL immigrant not an immigrant. The story says “my heart breaks for the hardworking mothers and fathers who have to flee their homes” they are NOT working and we have to support them and the 10 children they decided would be a good idea to have

Angella May 5, 2010, 9:27 AM

Illegal means not legal, no matter how you say it.. It is not fair for the legal citizens to pay for those who choose not to follow the legal procedures of becoming a citizen of the United States.. As Americans we can’t go and live in foreign countries undocumented living off of the foreign countries government, programs and citizens, we would be arrested and sent back to our country.. So why should American have an “open door” policy? Legal citizens of Arizona, California, Texas and several other states have suffered the cost of our current “open door” policy. More states need to follow Arizona’s direction..

kathy4 May 5, 2010, 10:16 AM

well did they ever think of coming here LEGALLY? they brought this all on themselves, and now their just mad because theve been cought. how dare they abuse the US!

Ru May 5, 2010, 10:23 AM

Wish our state was a smart as Arizona!! Hopefully, her and her illegal family do not come here!

Micaela  May 5, 2010, 10:29 AM

10 children? Really? No, I do not feel sorry for her one little bit. As a matter of fact I am freaking furious! Neither parent works & they have 10 kids? I am a US Citizen, born & raised, as well as my parents, & grandparents. Guess what? I work my a$$ off 40 hrs/wk as well as my husband. We have 2 kids & can barely afford to live. Yeah, husband works @ the welfare office. He sees this crap every day. I don’t care about racial profiling. I am sick & freaking tired of paying for people to sit on their arse & not work. Illegal immigrants, professional welfare moms, etc. GET A JOB! GET BIRTH CONTROL! We all know you can get that for free seeing as they are getting their food for free as well as rent, & anything else they want. Hey illegals-don’t come to California!

Kaela May 5, 2010, 10:36 AM

wow… 10 kids and neither one of them has a job…

“My heart breaks for the hardworking mothers and fathers in Arizona who have to flee their homes.”

does the article really say this??

it should say
“my heart breaks for the tax payers who have to support these illegal families”

Carole J May 5, 2010, 10:51 AM

…”basically, a cop can come up to anyone at anytime and ask to see their papers”

Yes, if a police officer asks to see your driver’s license, you are required by law to show such documentation NO MATTER YOUR RACE! If you don’t have a driver’s license, you have to show some form of paperwork proving who you are, whether that be a birth certificate or green card. It’s not racial profiling if they can ask it of anyone.

Way to go Arizona May 5, 2010, 11:22 AM

Wow, I bet ML Julie didn’t think that this would be the response. I say WAY TO GO ARIZONA!!! I hope every state will follow suit. This law is not racist. If you come to our country illegally, then you deserve to be kicked out. I don’t want to support you or your non-english speaking children. And for the record, it is against the law of the United States as a country to live here illegally but the federal government won’t/can’t enforce it. The media may be showing all those protest on TV but trust me there are more people who support this than those who don’t. The media only wants to cover all the celebs crying racial profiling and the politicans who want to seem p.c. but I promise you more and more people feel this way. My father came over from Italy when he was 15. He became a legal citizen and went to night school to learn to speak, read, and write english. He couldn’t stands it when foriegners wouldn’t learn the language. I believe that should be the way it is for any one who wants to live here. I’m tired of pushing 1 for Engish! Oh, and for the record, read the bill. A policeman can not just walk up to anyone and say “Show me your papers” A policmen can only ask for ID after he stops you for another offense against the law.

Mark May 5, 2010, 11:38 AM

Exactly. If there is racial profiling…well that’s inescapable because the crime is committed in much greater proportion by Hispanic people. What do you suggest, asking all the Swedish people in Arizona for ID? Get real, Julie.

Robin May 5, 2010, 11:42 AM

If our immigration laws weren’t so a$$ backwards maybe they wouldn’t have had to come here illegally. We are still processing applications from the 1980’s of people with close family here! We need immigration reform and it need to start with a look at our rules to come legally not with rounding up people just trying to make a better life.

chris May 5, 2010, 11:45 AM

Should we feel sorry for ALL criminals? If someone breaks the law and has to go to jail and be away from their children, should we feel sorry for them too? No because as a society we need to follow some kind of law & order. Here is an idea…don’t break the law, don’t come here and have 10 kids and live off our our government. If I sound harsh I’m sorry but I just want to say to all of them “Go home” and make your own country better so you will want to live there.

Anonymous May 5, 2010, 11:48 AM

I don’t sound to me that this couple and their 10 kids are living a better life here. Neither one of them work so how can they afford rent, food, clothes, gas, school supplies for their kids, toys, electric, cable, phones,and on and on??? Oh that’s right, the American government is supporting them.

Todd  May 5, 2010, 11:51 AM

What a bunch of bigots. Yes, we should have immigration laws. No, we should not let people sit around, nor should we let them stay here illegally. But this law is racist. Saying you applaud this hamfisted, dimwitted measure is saying racism is okay. I’m a Republican. I think we should deport the ACLU (all of them). But I’m also a Christian. Shame on anyone here who shares my faith, but thinks Jesus would endorse this law and the abuses it leaves open.

Mila May 5, 2010, 12:09 PM

Thank you Todd! Yes, we have an immigration problem, but this certainly isn’t the answer. Instead of making ridiculous laws against illegal immigrants how about deal with LEGAL ones that try to blow up NYC!

chris May 5, 2010, 12:48 PM

So what do you suggest Todd and Mila? Everyone says yes there’s a problem but no one wants to come up with a solution. You can’t reward people who break the law. I’m a first generation Italian/Irish daughter and I respect my parents for abiding by the laws and teaching me good values by do so. Does it really make me a racist to say that anyone who wants to live in America should follow the law and do it correctly. Why am I expected to follow the laws of this country? I can’t pick and choose which laws I feel are fair and only follow thoses. How do you justify it to the immigrants who follow the law? And as far as saying everyone deserves a better life, I agree with that but when people come over here and live illegaly, they get taken advantage of and abuse. How much does crop picker make? Do they only work 8 hrs a day, only 5 days a weeks? I don’t think so. Can they report crime against them? Can they stand up for their rights? So by being illegal, companies can treat them badly and who will they complain too? People need to be legal for their benefit as much as it is needed for our benefit.

Kelly May 5, 2010, 12:51 PM

I think the new immigration policies in Arizona are not a good thing in the least. I agree that and illegal immigrant does have to bear the responsibility of being illegal, however this opens the door for all sorts of potential acts of racial profiling and jailing of those who may even be citizens or here legally.

Think about how many times you may have walked out of your own front door without your wallet. Consider being here on a legal work visa and being unfortunate enough to be considered “suspicious” by an officer in Arizona. You can’t provide those papers, you go to jail.

Also consider the language against offering aid to illegal immigrants. Will this be used to prosecute humanitarian groups who provide food and water to illegals? Will it come back to haunt attorneys who might be trying to help an illegal become legal?

And quite frankly the attitude of “oh just come here legally” completely dismisses the extremely difficult process of immigrating to the United States. Many illegals are poor, uneducated, and simply trying to provide a better life for their children (or to simply get here before their children are born so that child may be a citizen.)

Besides, it’s not just Mexican immigrants who may face potential harassment and hatred because of this - anyone who “looks brown” is at risk. And it completely ignores the point of people of Hispanic origin who don’t fit the physical profile many think of when they think Hispanic. My husband grew up in El Paso. His family is of Eastern European descent, and yet he has darker hair, skin, and eyes than some of the Hispanics he went to high school with.

It’s all based on the perception of “what an illegal looks like” and as we’ve come to know (or should have) judging based solely on appearance or perception rarely works out in the end.

It is my fervent prayer that this is quickly overturned in courts before more states jump on the bandwagon in the name of “doing something”

Terri K (@tkharmonic) May 5, 2010, 2:09 PM

Well, this is a terrible example of people suffering under this law. I feel really bad for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th generations of legal immigrants, many of whom are business owners, who are worried they will be stopped for “looking like an illegal immigrant”. I do not support this law nor do I support illegal immigration. Already cities are suing the state over this law, and that’s just spending more taxpayer dollars.

Alexa May 5, 2010, 2:13 PM

I used to live in AZ and there were a lot of ILLEGAL immigrants and they all lived off the system and laughed how they can get away with it.
Meanwhile I was there under the NAFTA free trade aggreament because my mom was an Occuptional Therapist. She had a skill and contributed to society and I had to get special permsission to attend school there and I wasn’t allowed to work.
So bascically I have no sympathy for them. It was their choice to come here ILLEGALLY. They use their kids as a reason and leverage to stay here. I am not even a US citzen as I am back in Canada but my mom is still in AZ and even though is retired is working part time in a retail store. Still working while “miss illegal with 10 kids” gets to stay here and still live off the system? I don’t think so. Go back home and come back when your ready to contribute to soceity.

Sarah E. May 5, 2010, 2:17 PM

As a legal immigrant, I applaid this new law. My parents and my grandparents all went through the legal processes to be in this country, WE work hard to give back to this declining economy instead of waiting for a stinkin hand out. We didn’t and don’t wait for the gov’t check to roll in, the classrooms to translate everything to our native tongue, cry about our status, or lack of assistance from others. Other countries have severe penalties for illegal immgrants, we hand out educations, health care and drivers licenses.