Immigrant Families Flee Arizona

momlogic's Julie: CBS reports that Manuela Quintana, a mother of 10, is fleeing Arizona now that the state's governor has signed the new immigration law.

manuela quintana

Her 10 children were born here and are U.S. citizens. Both she and her husband are undocumented, and currently unemployed.

She said that her biggest fear is being put in jail and having her children taken away from her. Her 12-year-old daughter is terrified of that possibility, too.

This seriously makes me sick. Basically, a cop can come up to anyone at anytime and ask to see their papers. Can you say "RACIAL PROFILING"?

My heart breaks for the hardworking mothers and fathers in Arizona who have to flee their homes.

What do you think of this new Arizona immigration law?

next: 'American Idols' Take On Sinatra
Wendi May 5, 2010, 2:49 PM

I live in AZ and I am in total support of this law. I know many people who have come here leagally so there is no excuse! We are drowning here with the economy because we have to support these people and that includes all the medical expenses as well. I do not feel bad for this family at all, what I hear is that they are here against the law AND not supporting themselves. So we have to support them? I don’t think so. I really think in time this will prove to be the best thing AZ could have done! Just so you know, I am not racist at all, I have a son that is 1/2 hispanic.

Jim May 5, 2010, 5:54 PM

I have been living in AZ for 37 years and I am all for this law.

angie May 5, 2010, 6:44 PM

Oh man this is pathetic- and to top it off the cover picture is trying to be all pathetic and sad. sorry, but no. Props to Arizona for finally doing something. While we are on this topic, I don’t agree that children born here by illegal immigrants should be legal. There, that said get frickin legal!

Mark May 5, 2010, 7:01 PM

As far as the racial profiling/racism etc opinions, the United States Supreme Court itself has permitted race as one factor police may consider when determining whether there is reasonable suspicion that a person has committed a crime.

This law is not about leaving your wallet at home, and it’s not necessarily about what you look like, e.g. the woman in the picture in this article does not look particularly “dark” or what have you. Also, the fact that this is law is even on the books already seems to be having a deterrent effect, as some illegals are already leaving the state.

mom of 2 May 5, 2010, 9:10 PM

I applaud this law but I think it is putting the cart in front of the horse. They need to secure all the borders and track every individual that is here on a visa to ensure they leave when they are supposed to. Then they need to make laws severely punishing those individuals/companies hiring illegals. I’m not talking small fines but make it so on the first offense they are fined 50% of their gross income, next offense they lose their business all together. Next they need to make it so that children born to illegals do not automatically get citizenship. They need to make it impossible for any illegal to get any federal assistance or to attend public schools. Until this is done the flow will not stop. People will still want to come here illegally if they think the reward outweighs the risk of being caught. If there is no reward then they will not risk it.

Hold up wait a minute May 6, 2010, 6:46 AM

Hold up wait a minute!!!! First of all I do not support this law. I think the AZ lawmakers may have had the right idea, but they went about it in the wrong way. Before I go any further I want to say that I am an American, born in Texas and raised in Texas. Houston to be exact, I knew many kids that were born here but had illegal parents. Here is what I don’t understand. When this country was created we were all “illegal” immigrants!

Jack White of the White Stripes said it best in his song Icky Thump. He stated:
White Americans
What? Nothin’ better to do?
Why don’t you kick yourself out
You’re an immigrant too!

We established this country and stated boldly on the statue of LIBERTY “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”

What happened? Did we forget about the fact that this country was created by illegal aliens?

You want to hear a simple solution? Help educate these illegal immigrants on how to become legal immigrants. When an illegal immigrant comes to the welfare office to get welfare educate them then. Don’t just allow them to get all the benifits, they should have to follow procedure and work towards proper immigration. They should be helped with temporary immigration status and given a set amount of time to reach full immigration. Teach these people what they need to do so that they CAN contribute to our socity and stop giving out free hand outs. It does kind of make me mad that an illegal immigrant can just get on food stamps and medicaid without even having temporary status, but why would it be so hard for us to help educate them on how to establish this. I myself had to have foodstamps at one time and not because I was not working, but because my job cut hours and I needed temporary help. What we need to understand is the food stamp program was not intended for long term usage it is supposed to be temporary. If we started requiring anyone that wants to be on welfare to have citizenship we would eliminate this problem of taxpayers having to pay for everything. We are a country based on christan values we are supposed to help others in need. So, lets start helping them in the right way instead of putting on a blind eye to the less fortunate of the world.

tennmom May 6, 2010, 8:20 AM

It makes ME sick that U.S. citizens’ tax
dollars are supporting 10!! children of illegal immigrants.
I think a law should be made to prevent the children of illegals to be automatic U.S. citizens just because they are born in the U.S.

GPC May 6, 2010, 11:13 AM

Well, if you are here illegally, go to your country of origin and apply to get in. It’s very simple. If they don’t let you in, that’s your problem. Meanwhile who’s taking care of those 10 kids as the parents are unemployed? Could it be the tax payer? Why yes. Why should the tax payer have to pay for 10 kids whose parents shouldn’t have been here anyway (not saying that aid should stop now, am saying that the situation shouldn’t have happened in the first place). The parents should be kicked out and the kids placed in alternate accommodation. Bottom line is, get out if you’re illegal and start proceedings for proper entry into the country.

Anonymous May 6, 2010, 11:25 AM

I read today on the MSNBC home page that 5 students were kicked out of school yesterday for wearing Old Navy t-shirts with the american flag on it and b/c the school has a high mexican student base, the princial told the student that it was disrespectful on Cinco De Mayo to wear shirts w/the american flag! HELLO…these are american citizens proudly wearing their flag on their shirt and told either turn the shirts inside out or they when be suspended! CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY!!!

michelle May 6, 2010, 2:43 PM

You are all so ridiculous. Explain to me how exactly illegal immigrants are getting welfare? You cannot get a “government handout” in any state unless you can prove you are a citizen or legal permanent resident. So, no, these people are not taking government handouts. And how about all the employers in AZ who hire illegal immigrants? How about all the families in AZ who hire nannies and guys to cut the grass? Do you really think any illegal immigrants would bother to go to AZ (braving extreme danger in the crossing and dealing with all the hatred and harassment after they get here) if there were no jobs for them? Without illegal immigrants our way of life would not be possible. And by the way, snap out of your denial that this law is racist. Chicago and other cities are full of Eastern Europeans who come here illegally and get jobs under the table and have anchor babies, but no one gets all hysterical about them and I think it’s because they’re white.

Mark May 6, 2010, 4:15 PM

Michelle-we’re in denial?…The kids are all U.S. citizens, hence the provision of government benefits including public schooling, emergency rooms, welfare, now Obama-care, etc. Where I live, owners of construction companies live in million-dollar mansions. Money saved from illegal immigration is not going to support MY way of life…it is going to these businesses that can pay immigrants peanuts, the immigrants don’t have to pay taxes, and the taxpayers have to support their children, etc. etc. There may be white illegal immigrants who “sneak” in but (1) they are in far smaller numbers; (2) they usually end up getting naturalized and paying taxes instead of setting up welfare baby farms like the lass in the picture.

elenore May 8, 2010, 6:41 PM

I totally want Eastern Europeans,Middle eastern,Asian illegals out of Michigan.Some are already newly Canadian citizens abusing the WELFARE system of both Michigan and Canada.If you think it just a Mexican/South Western problem your crazy.Our Welfare papers have Arabic on them for middle eastern abusing the system and yes I want them deported too.They can all go.There are many Eastern Europeans I would like to see leave they think it’s okay to abuse welfare since they are from Europe.

elenore May 8, 2010, 6:43 PM

Illegal is Illegal they all need to go.And our unemployment is the highest in this country.They are still coming because they are not working but receiving welfare.

Eric May 10, 2010, 12:54 PM

Doesn’t break my heart at all.

Perhaps, were she actually doing something other than laying on her back making babies (10 kids? No job? Gimme a break!) I MIGHT have something like empathy - still wouldn’t have any sympathy though.

Good riddance to the oxygen thief. Maybe she’ll wake up when she gets someplace else.

T. Roesler January 30, 2011, 9:24 PM

This is my favorite site of all time! http://kalskjdsofwoierwrtwetitponfmhphkdgf.com -T. Roesler

Josh April 7, 2011, 8:28 PM

This is your best post yet!

jsdaqu@gmail.com