J. Lo's Orgasmic Pregnancy

Among the many improbable things that arise in J. Lo's new flick, "The Back-Up Plan" (a comedy about the misadventures of single motherhood), is the totally silly premise that pregnancy makes you more orgasmic.

jennifer lopez

During a 30-second make-out session with her new beau, J. Lo's character has a spontaneous and intense orgasm. Her girlfriend explains to her as she's on the elliptical machine (because, of course, pregnant ladies have enough energy to simultaneously do a serious workout and carry on a titillating conversation) that pregnant women are more orgasmic because of all the extra blood flow to the body.

And here I thought that all that extra blood flow simply gave us kankles. What do you know: It also makes us orgasm on the bus!

In case you haven't gotten wind of "The Back-Up Plan" yet, J. Lo plays a single working girl who decides to go it alone and get pregnant via artificial insemination -- only to later fall for Mr. Right and find that everything turns out just dandy. (This is Hollywood, after all, where no attractive, successful woman would really want to end up a single mother.)

In my totally unscientific study of one (yours truly), I found that pregnancy was not exactly a recipe for amazing sex. Let's start with the whole problem of the first trimester, when you'd rather hurl than do just about anything. I don't know about you, but the combination of crippling nausea and overwhelming fatigue didn't exactly make me feel frisky.

I could, however, buy it in the second trimester, when your energy's back, you don't feel like a beached whale and all that "glow" makes you look kind of lovely. But I wouldn't say it made for multiple orgasms. It just made for a few months of normal sex again.

And the third trimester? Forget it. Nothing like not being able to tie your own shoes to really put a damper on your mobility between the sheets. But go, J.Lo, for promoting the hot-mama myth!

What about you, ladies? Did pregnancy improve your sex life -- or just prepare you for the sexless early days of mommyhood?

next: Most Memorable TV Moms Then and Now
Rita May 6, 2010, 3:56 PM

First pregnancy- yes it was more intense but sadly after my son was born it went away completely and nothing feels the same at all…not even close. Sometimes I have to think “did I”? because it is so mild. Boo. I am pregnant again and nothing has returned, again sadly. ;(

rather stay anonymous on this one May 6, 2010, 4:11 PM

With all 3 pregnancies, really intense and frequent o’s. Maybe there is something to the extra blood flow explanation…

Katherine May 6, 2010, 7:17 PM

It sucked, everytime I had an orgasm while pregnant I puked 5 hours straight after….And it’s been 4 months since birth & I still can’t have sex- it huts because of the 4- 4th degree tears I had…. so yeah no sex here… poor hubby…he’s good about it though, thank goodness!

Danielle May 7, 2010, 6:32 AM

With my first no, he ended up being a boy. With my second yes, she ended up being a girl and with my last one no he ended up being a boy. Ironically I was SO extremely sexual with my pregnancy with my daughter. Very weird but a true story. I guess my boys want me all to themselves, back off dad! Also there is a proper way to stand when your not pregnant to get extra blood flow down there….I told my man not to tell me. I don’t need to be any more out of control than I already am. ^_^

chris May 7, 2010, 8:43 AM

Not during my pregencies but after the birth of my 1st, all of my orgasms came easier and with better intensty. Bonus, I also started having multiple orgasms as well. It been 10 yrs since having both my kids and it still is that way. WHOO HOO!

th May 7, 2010, 9:04 AM

I’ve been preg 2x, one baby and lost the other. but both preganacies i was BEYOND ready for sex. So much so my hubby told me “didnt we jus have sex 3 hours ago??” I was always in the mood and O’d soooo much! lol

Anonymous May 7, 2010, 7:41 PM

Yes during my second trimester the sex was wild.

Joi Mayne May 9, 2010, 11:05 AM

If I would of had Jennifer’s body it probably would of enriched my sex life, but I was in the middle of a divorce, so I never had the extra pleasures, but I do know that everything was sensitive, and I mean everything. Going on bumpy rides was nice!