Jillian Michaels: 'Pregnancy Does NOT Ruin Your Body!'

momlogic's Julie: "The Biggest Loser" trainer extraordinaire Jillian Michaels set off a firestorm of controversy when she told Women's Health Magazine that she had no interest in pregnancy because "I can't handle doing that to my body." Her comment irked and infuriated many mom bloggers. Now, Jillian talks to momlogic about what she really meant by that.

Jillian Michaels

momlogic: So many of our readers responded to our post about your Women's Health article. It's obviously something moms were very passionate about. Were your comments taken out of context?

Jillian Michaels: They were taken out of context and misconstrued. First of all, the writer wrote that I have an "aversion" to pregnancy -- which was her word, not mine. I never said that. It was at the very end of a three-hour interview. The writer said, "Do you want to have kids?" And I said, "I'm planning to adopt." She then asked, "Why wouldn't you get pregnant?" I said there were many reasons ... one being that "I can't handle doing that to my body," but I didn't tell her why.

The truth is, I learned very early on that I have endometriosis and polycystic ovaries. I was always told that fertility would/could be a problem for me. Why do I have this? I've heard everything from, "You have too much caffeine in your body" to "It's genetic" to "You need to be put on the birth control pill" -- and I don't believe in using synthetic hormones. In order to get pregnant, I know it would require surgery. For me, it becomes a sort of "I can't handle doing that." I've always just accepted that this is my thing, and this must mean I was meant to adopt, and that's OK. But who knows -- there might be advances in science for women with endometriosis, so I'll never say never. But, for now, I plan to adopt.

[The writer] then asked if one of the reasons I wanted to adopt instead of get pregnant was because I was an overweight kid. I said, "That could be part of it ...." Then, in the piece, she said that was the reason for my "aversion" (again, her word) to pregnancy.

I was feeling kind of panicked about answering the question. For me, it was a very personal question -- and I had a lot of shame about the answer. If I tell people I have issues in this area, will they judge me and say, "If she has problems in this area, how healthy can she be?" I don't think anyone with issues is "less than," but this is just how I was feeling in the moment. It caught me off-guard.

But NEVER in there did I say, "I WON'T get pregnant for sure" or that it ruins your body. Never have I said that pregnancy ruins bodies. I don't believe that. My best friend has an 8-year-old and she has one of the best bodies in town. Ali Sweeney's body looks even better after having Megan ... she looks amazing. I helped train her! Madonna has one of the best bodies in the world, and she's had two kids.

I don't feel that pregnancy ruins a body at all, and I was really upset that an entire community of women felt hurt by what I allegedly said. So much has been misconstrued and taken out of context. I do expect that from the media, so I don't really care about that. But what I DO care about is moms. So if moms or women out there feel betrayed at all, that matters to me. Moms are incredibly important to me.

ml: Were you surprised by the reaction that your alleged statement received?

JM
: I didn't really understand how touchy this subject was. When it got the reaction it did, I realized that this had really struck a chord with women. This must mean that so many women do have these worries and concerns. The words that "pregnancy ruins a body" were put in my mouth -- because I didn't say it -- but many women must worry that it does or that it might, because it just had such an impassioned response. Obviously, all women don't have these insecurities, but they are real for some. And this may have triggered that for some women.

It also made me realize that I need to be much more careful and on my feet about a topic like this. Shame on me for being ashamed! Had I not been ashamed about it ... if I had been 100 percent honest, none of this would have happened. I could have just said, "I'm not going to answer that," but I think that implies I'm hiding something. I always wanted to be truthful and tell others to "live in your truth." But here, I was withholding a little bit. The lesson I learned is that I need to be truthful.

ml: What have your interactions with moms been like since the story broke?

JM: A lot of women have come up to me [since] this article came out and said they are scared about what happens to their bodies during and after pregnancy. They said, "I'm scared; I'm worried; it was hard for me." My first instinct was to say, "Don't be scared," but then I just tried to listen to them about why they are scared and tried to reassure them. I think it's incredibly important that we allow each other to be scared, and to have feelings that are less than perfect -- just so we can open up the dialogue with each other, and share, support and encourage.

That was the thing that was the most interesting to me: that so many women came out and said they were scared, too. They said what they were thinking and feeling even if it was not politically correct. I think that's so important, so we can educate and support each other without judgment.

ml: Jillian, we couldn't agree more. Thanks for being so honest with us!

next: Claudia Schiffer: Preggers and Proud in Vogue
Thomas January 6, 2011, 3:10 AM

Your joking, right?

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 4:02 PM

Women in general are not seeking to lose substantial numbers of pounds for the most part. A lot of the men and women making use of phen375 are simply seeking to drop Five to Twenty five lbs typically and normally it’s stomach fat. Nearly all are wholesome, visit the health club sort folks. They just haven’t been able to shed the fat on their tummy or reach any Plato. Stomach fat issues normally commence to happen for girls around the time of or perhaps following giving birth as well as later on in age group before being menopausal. It appears to hit ladies although right now there hormone levels tend to be changing; it’s a normal procedure for existence or is it? I will show you the genuine excess fat stored in the particular belly or abdomen region is different as well as the much more you have of it the actual whores your junk imbalance will end up.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 12:50 PM

Interesting info! Good reading. I have one thing to make about tee shirts.

waikiki vacation rentals January 12, 2011, 5:18 PM

BUT, you are so right about the southern end of the lake being the most beautiful. And youre also right about Bay Area residents buying land there. Frankly, if I had the extra cash, Id invest in land at Clear Lake. Its the last semi-affordable place around SF.

laserowa depilacja białystok  January 14, 2011, 3:17 AM

Great post…awesome picture…congrats!

medium short hair styles pictures January 15, 2011, 12:02 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

Discount Vertical Blinds January 15, 2011, 10:32 PM

Hello Way cool info, will have to try it. Just wanted to let you know, the link is broke. Can you fix it please? Thanks again for taking the time to put this up. I certainly enjoyed every part of it.

Dowsoaring January 16, 2011, 7:56 AM

The thesis undergirding all the rhetoric was summed up by conservativestock market today commentator Ben Stein

Charmain Sedwick January 20, 2011, 7:13 PM

You should definately write more about this! Please!

military bah 2011 rates January 22, 2011, 1:05 AM

If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.

Workout supplements January 24, 2011, 4:03 AM

An interesting post right there mate ! Cheers for that .

raha pelit January 24, 2011, 4:36 AM

You should really moderate the commentary on this site

Alesha Casseus January 25, 2011, 10:02 PM

Some truly excellent content on this site,thanks for contribution.

Alissa Murdough January 27, 2011, 12:58 PM

This really is the very best post I understand as of these days.Exactly where did you got every one of the data from? That is very useful and really education. I will remain awhile in right here. Worth reading each wordsf

Adult Dating January 31, 2011, 4:28 PM

Ytbxiwl Adult Dating wnavslo

Torty February 1, 2011, 5:45 PM

Thank you for your post. I like it! Greetings!

Torty February 2, 2011, 1:15 AM

Something I have never seen before is always welcome, thanks!

The Chickepox Vaccine February 2, 2011, 8:00 AM

Generally I do not read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.

chickenpox vaccinations February 2, 2011, 9:07 AM

I’ll immediately grab your rss feed as I can’t find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Parthena February 4, 2011, 4:14 PM

Maybe her comment was taken out of context but pregnacy changes the body and not for the better.