Middle School Students Had Oral Sex in Class

An eighth-grade boy and a seventh-grade girl in an Oxnard, California, middle school allegedly engaged in oral sex during reading class -- and other students watched and even took video and photos of the incident, say parents.

KTLA reports that one parent says she has seen the sex tape, and that the reading teacher at Haydock Intermediate School was aware of the incident but did nothing to stop it. The district says it cannot confirm that any sexual encounter occurred in the classroom. According to the district, the teacher (who has not been identified) has been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.

While certainly shocking, this story unfortunately comes as no surprise: It was the subject of our very first momlogic investigation in 2007, wherein we explored this trend of sex in schools. Our national survey revealed that one in five kids has witnessed sex at school. In our survey of 500 teens between 12 and 17, only 14.8 percent of kids said they'd ever tell their parents if they witnessed sex in school.

Click below to see our three-part series -- and hear from students who witnessed sex in schools firsthand:

Teen Sex

Part1

Part 2

Part 3

next: 'American (Movie) Idols'
Susan S. May 12, 2010, 10:40 AM

That is awful! I cannot imagine my son, who will be in middle school next year, having to see something like that. To your knowledge, was there any disciplinary action for the children engaging in the act? I would hope they would get some counseling on what is appropriate and inappropriate in class and sex education

Audrey May 12, 2010, 10:45 AM

My thinking is that they got too MUCH sex ed. They’re shoving this stuff down kid’s throats in elementary school. So happy I’ve homeschooled my kids.

Anonymous May 12, 2010, 10:45 AM

My ex got a handjob in class at about the same age while sitting at his desk. This didn’t surprise me at all. (for the record, I didn’t know about that until waaaay later!)

Lisa R. May 12, 2010, 11:31 AM

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!! Are you freaking KIDDING me??? These are middle school students! First of all, where did they learn about oral sex?! Oh, right, I almost forgot: President Bill Clinton. Thanks, Bill. But to do it IN CLASS?? In front of other kids? And the teacher? Where is their modesty, their shame?? Reading this article actually made me gag. Literally. I am horrified by this.

Wendi May 12, 2010, 12:53 PM

Really the teacher could do nothing about it???? What is wrong with teachers these days??? Why don’t they step up to the plate and be a mentor and good example and hold the kids accountable.

MH May 12, 2010, 1:14 PM

What a silly Bill Clinton comment. Hate to tell you, these kids were in diapers when the Puritans were having their way with Bill.
As a teacher I can say that sure this teacher should have seen what was going on, but it was dark and when kids are jammed together you assume they aren’t doing blatantly unacceptable things like this. Middle school behavior can be abhorrent, so look no further than their homes to blame on kids behavior. Someone or something told them that this is acceptable.

nny May 12, 2010, 3:59 PM

I don’t think that the teacher should be held fully responsible. What is wrong with these CHILDREN that think it’s OKAY to be doing that in a public place,let alone a classroom?! And where are their parents? I mean I know teens will be sexual at some point but 12-13 is just way too young. That was the last thing on my mind at that age.
We haven’t seen the film so we don’t know how long this took place for, or if the teacher tried to tell them to stop.
I do know, however, that when we watched films in class, usually the teacher sat at their desk grading papers or reading.

Daniel May 12, 2010, 10:52 PM

I’m a student in high school, and i can assure that the statistic of “one in five kids has witnessed sex at school” is inaccurate. Rarely if not at all will students witness other students engaged in sexual acts.

Oxnard Middle Schooler ): May 12, 2010, 11:53 PM

I am a middle schooler in Oxnard and fist of this gives Oxnard a bad name because now when people think Oxnard they are going to remember this. I know my peers are involved in extra curricular activities but this is ridiculus. =\

Danielle May 13, 2010, 9:47 AM

Have respect for yourself!! I was 17 and recieved my first kiss. I’m picky. You should not need to validate yourselves by having sex at a young age. All healthy people regardless of gender have the same libido. Having sex for attention is just dumb and I’m sure once you meet “the one” they aren’t going to get turned on by what a skank you were at any age. So unless you want to be dishonest start cleaning up your act. You don’t want to be a walking disease either.

Kate May 13, 2010, 5:32 PM

I’m a highschooler, trust me that “survey” is quite ridiculous. Kids dont have sex in school very often. I only know of one girl who ever has, in my school of over 1500 students. and it was after hours. Its not an “epidemic”, those videos are just trying to scare you. to say that one in five has witnessed sex in school is just ridiculous. especially middle school.

Also, whats with this wording? “Witnessing” sex. It sounds like those kids are doing something terrible and shameful. They arnt. Teenagers are going to have sex, its as natural as anything else we do. Sex isnt something disgusting and evil, its a beautiful thing. You probably have sex all the time.

Those children should have shown better judgment about where to have sex, and when. But kids do worse things in school that dont get nearly this reaction.

Also, how on earth does teaching teenagers about sex cause them to do this? One of the things you’re taught in sex ed is that its illegal to do it in public. Sex ed is a vital part of keeping sex safe and OUT of public places.

hmmm May 13, 2010, 9:06 PM

There is no point in trying to shame kids about sex. That is how they become all messed up, become priests and molest children.
All you need to do is teach about where and when it is appropriate. What they teach kids in the Netherlands is to only have sex when you are really sure you are in love. It seems to work so well that the British may adopt the same type of sex education.

Michelle May 13, 2010, 9:33 PM

one in five have witnessed sex in school? Please. If that were the case, it would be national news all the time. I teach in a high school and can tell you that our children are far from innocent, but not nearly to the degree you make it seem. Situations such as the one in this article are the exception, not the norm. Besides, I suspect that there is a lot more to the story than the writers of this article chose to present. I’d be interested in hearing the whole story, including that of the teacher in question.

As for Wendi’s comment: please don’t generalize! Nearly any teacher witnessing an event such as that would have stopped it. Why THIS particular teacher did not is the question you should be asking. Keep in mind there are nearly 7 million teachers in this country. A dozen or so times a year, a story comes out such a this and it gives all teachers a black eye. Do the math. I work with a great number of highly dedicated, hard-working, innovative and caring teachers. Please don’t lump them or me in with this story!

As for sex ed, the kids aren’t learning the basics at school. Look around. Our kids are inundated with sex in movies, music, TV, billboards…it is everywhere. .

Trust me, if I thought for a moment that “abstinence only” eduction worked, I’d be all for it. It doesn’t.

roflcopter May 15, 2010, 1:21 PM

ONE IN FIVE!? Sounds like someone was having a little fun when they were filling out their survey. :D

Student at Haydock. May 15, 2010, 3:24 PM

Honestly it was NOT the teachers fault it was the 2 kids doing it the teacher wouldnt expect anything like tht to happen so everyone just step back!
the lady that ratted this out is a Low life ! just wants FAME. why does she care of what goes on in the school ? her daughter Margarita RAmirez is no longer going to that school so why would she care ? STEVEN MARTINEZ was the 8th grade boy and TERESA was the 7th grade girl.
yes of course they made a huge mistake but it was prbably a dare.
Now that people here this they make a bad name for HAYDOCK INTERMEDIATE.

travontony May 17, 2010, 12:25 AM

Need diapers?? Get a free year supply of diapers today from brands like pampers, luvs & huggies http://bit.ly/ciDq5Z

travontony May 17, 2010, 12:26 AM

Need diapers?? Get your year supply of diapers today from brands like pampers, luvs & huggies http://bit.ly/ciDq5Z

travontony May 17, 2010, 12:30 AM

Catie May 18, 2010, 1:25 PM

This is absolutely horrifying. I am shocked to hear that anything like this would happen in school… and even more shocked to hear that the teacher did nothing about it. These kids should be ASHAMED.

Sammy May 18, 2010, 7:42 PM

Well, I know at my middle school, these two kids had sex in the same stairwell at least once a week. If they hadn’t been suspended after being caught the last week. And this year (I’m in high school now), two different couples got caught having sex on a school bus. How’d they even manage that?