Miley: Stop Cage-Dancing Until 'Hannah Montana' Goes Off the Air!

Angry Mom: I just saw Miley Cyrus' new video "Can't Be Tamed," where she plays a corset-wearing rare species who breaks free from her cage. And I'm pissed.

Can she not keep her clothes on until "Hannah Montana" goes off the air?! I mean, my 6-year-old still has a "Hannah Montana" backpack, for God's sake.

I understand that she's an older teen who wants to break free from her Radio Disney image. I get it. But SHE STILL HAS A SHOW ON THE AIR. Despite what her theme song may say, I really don't believe she can have the "best of both worlds" ... or that she should. She is taking the Disney fans' -- and their parents' -- hard-earned money. Her show is still a hit. She may want to shed the squeaky-clean image, but she needs to wait until she signs off of Disney for good. Because I don't want to explain to my kids why Hannah Montana has no pants on in her latest video -- and I shouldn't have to!

I saw a Miley Cyrus concert a few years back; it was a benefit concert that I paid big bucks for. She hardly played any of her "Hannah Montana" songs (that my daughter loves) and instead played her "originals." My daughter was crushed. It was obvious even back then that she couldn't wait to burn the Hannah Montana wig and never look back. But if you want to do that, Miley, DO IT -- don't play both sides of the fence. Retire from Disney and go do whatever the heck you want to do, and cage-dance to your hearts' content. But as long as you're still on Disney, keep your damn pants on!

Miley: Don't pretend to be a role model and then get all hoochie on us ... it's confusing to our kids, and it's just not fair. Please don't forget that we're the ones who made you rich. Videos like this one make me want my money back.

next: Charlie Sheen Surrenders Custody of His Daughters
Jilly May 6, 2010, 6:40 AM

Heh, I guess you just got ripped a new one on this line of thinking! I completely agree with everyone!! Society looks at hollywood as some sort of guide to life…WTF…r u serious? Real life is nothing like movies or tv and to use those things parenting tools, well then you ARE a tool!
Leave Miley alone, she can do what she wants with HER career….you can choose to like or LEAVE it!

christina philpitt May 6, 2010, 8:30 AM

I THINK IT IS A GREAT VIDEO. MILEY AND HANNAH MONTANA ARE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR CHILD TO SEE THE VIDEO,THEN USE THE NEW INVENTION-THE ON/OFF SWITCH ON YOUR T.V. IT IS A VIDEO,WHICH ARE SHOWN ON CERTAIN T.V.CHANNELS THAT KIDS OF A CERTAIN AGE SHOULD NOT BE WATCHING-ESPECIALLY WITHOUT A PARENT AROUND.MY LITTLE COUSIN KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MILEY,SHE IS ALL ABOUT HANNAH MONTANA.KIDS WILL NOT KNOW UNLESS YOU LET THEM KNOW.I THINK SHE DOES A GREAT JOB AT KEEPING BOTH PERSONAS SEPERATE! SHE IS A GREAT PERFORMER AT BOTH THINGS SHE DOES.HAVE A GREAT DAY!PLEASE TAKE A GREAT LOOK AT YOURSELF BEFORE YOU JUDGE.DO YOU LET YOUR YOUNG CHILD WATCH THE VIDEO CHANNEL????? LOOK INWARD BEFORE JUDGING OUTWARD.

CJ May 6, 2010, 8:38 AM

As other people have said, Miley said herself she doesn’t want to be a rolemodel. She’s turning 18 this year… do you remember what you were doing when you were a young teen girl? Yeah, you probably wanted to look sexy and if you were tied down to a contract where little 5 year old girls were listening to your music and all the other people your own age thought your music was stupid, yes you’d probably be dancing in a cage with a bird outfit and leotard on too.

If your kid saw High School Musical 3, Ashley Tisdale danced in a pink version of this outfit. Any kid who’s watched ballet has seen people dance in this kind of outfit… what’s the big deal?

ANY kind of dancing is going to have some sexually driven stuff. Besides, Miley says herself she can’t be tamed. Why not believe her?

I read an interview that she had with a magazine the other day and she said she doesn’t know how to act like a teenager cause she’s never around them. When she was 12 years old someone put a bottle of vodka in her goody bag for her. Growing up in that kind of environment would sure do this to you. You think that the average teenage girl doesn’t dance like this? Of course they do, but they’re not in a public spotlight with multi-million dollar record deals with *choreographers* and *fashion artists* telling them how to do it. So maybe you should stop blaming a 17-year-old for not living up to your “Hannah Montana” standards and actually come clean to your kids that santa clause and the easter bunny aren’t real.

Kelly May 6, 2010, 9:49 AM

Music isn’t even appropriate for young children. Why would you consider letting your daughter listen, let alone watch, this video. There should not be anything for you to explain. Have her read a book, paint a picture, play outside, something other than watch tv or play video games. I see the generation coming through high school, and it’s sad. It’s our fault, we are the ones who raised them. Absentee parenting doesn’t work, and it only seems to be getting worse.

Gail Cooke May 6, 2010, 10:11 AM

While I understand why the writer would be upset, at the end of the day it’s not Miley Cyrus’ responsibility to control what the public’s children see. It’s the child’s parents. It’s not fair to put the responsibility to Miley. She’s a pop singer, not a babysitter. If you don’t like it, turn the tv off.

Mike May 6, 2010, 10:48 AM

Really? I’m pretty sure that I saw Hannah Montana in a bathing suit on the show that was more revealing. I would think prudes would have a bigger problem with the scenes where she is lying down in the gold bustier, when she breathes she has breasts and other curves. Why would your child be watching this video if she’s to young for you to explain that children mature and TV sometimes shows are sometimes years old, use Haley Joel Ossmet if you need an example. I think we dumb down the world too much to try to extend childhood, letting children ask the questions in their own time, then answer honestly.

Rita May 6, 2010, 8:32 PM

Hmm. Do you not get symbolism? Perhaps you need to be a mother to your child instead of letting Hannah Montana do the job. You DO realize Hannah Montana is a fictional character, right? If you met an actor or actress, would you expect them to act like their onscreen persona? I didn’t think so. My 9 year old loves Hannah Montana (only very recently, she didn’t used to) and she understands HM is just a TV show, and Miley/Hannah are two different people. From the very beginning, she has understood the people on TV are usually playing a more grown-up form of pretend. I tend to stay away from “reality” shows. I hope you’re not showing your daughter videos or pictures of Miley/Hannah just because it is Miley or Hannah.

I don’t understand helicopter parents like you, wanting to shield your children from the negative influences life has to offer. How else are they going to grow up and fly away if you’re taking care of everything for them?

I’d rather have my children ask questions about something they might not understand and have a family discussion about it then shield them from something they’ll encounter on their own one day anyways!

Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.

Pinchbuggies May 6, 2010, 9:55 PM

Poor “angry mom” doesn’t remember how it was to be a teenager! I’m sure she did things that a 6 yr old wouldn’t need to be a part of & I’m sure if she was talented & wanted to do something creative & amazing she wouldn’t be asking 6 yr olds if they thought it was ok! I’m sure she’ll be reading our posts too & maybe she’ll learn a thing or two… I too agree that it’s what we teach our children that REALLY matters.

LOL May 7, 2010, 5:46 AM

My daughter grew up in the “true” Hannah Montanna age. She is 14 now and she absolutly knows that Hannah Montanna was just a fictional character. You can’t just expect Miley to stay Hannah forever. Just like my daughter outgrew the show…Miley did too. I think Miley has every right to want to move on. She is her own person and should be able to live her life how she wantes to live it. If you don’t like what she does, don’t let your kids watch it. It is that simple. My son and my niece ages 8 & 9 both love Hannah Montanna and they also know Hannah Montanna is Miley Cyrus. Get over it, monitor what your kids watch and explain reality from fiction.

Anon May 7, 2010, 6:07 AM

Horse teeth!

Chrissy May 7, 2010, 3:12 PM

Yea! 30 comments and we all agree - Miley has a right to grown up. The blogger should be her daughters role model. And parents can/should control what their child watches and what purchases are made fro their child.

Elianna Bass May 7, 2010, 3:15 PM

I think you need to get over it. She’s 17 or 18 years old and has the right to grow up. Maybe you shouldn’t let your daughter watch so much Television and spend more time with her.

Stephanie May 7, 2010, 3:20 PM

I don’t think that its appropriate for any 17 year old to dance with no pants on. Especially one who was on Disney. She knew what she signed up for, well at least her dad did. I hate that people think that its ok to have teenagers thrusting about half naked. You all are the sick ones. ps. I’m not closed minded, christian or old.

Momof5 May 7, 2010, 3:51 PM

I parent my children. Not Miley. And I should be so lucky to have my daughters grow up to have a mind of their own, and to make their own way in this world as Miley has done. You go girl!!

anna May 7, 2010, 9:54 PM

The reason she didn’t play hanna montana songs, is becuz u went to a miley cyrus concert, unless it was advertised that hanna montana would be performing too, she didn’t have to perform n e hanna songs. It’s weird but that’s how they do it.

Danielle May 9, 2010, 7:58 AM

Do you explain at the pool or beach why people aren’t wearing pants?

DONNA May 10, 2010, 1:58 PM

MILEY IS FILMING THE LAST EPISODE OF HANNAH MONTANA THIS WEEK! DID YOU NOT KNOW THAT??

JACQUELINE May 10, 2010, 2:01 PM

OMG! BALLET DANCERS HAVE NO PANTS! DO NOT WATCH BALLET! *rolls eyes*

Cammie  May 10, 2010, 4:44 PM

oh, good lord. She’s not “Hannah Montana”, she’s Miley Cyrus, no quotation marks. Hannah is fiction, unreal and completely made up. Miley is 17 and a half for Pete’s sakes, she’s not going to be the fourteen year old Hannah Montana for the rest of her life JUST to please you. and, you, may I add, swore at least three times in this post, Miley swore once in her video. and Miley is only continuing to do Hannah Montana to please you and your kid because she didn’t like the way it would’ve ended. you are in control of your child, not her. if your kid goes off the deep end, that’s your fault not hers. Miley isn’t around to parent your kids and everyone else’s. if you don’t like what she does, then i suggest you STOP WATCHING. same goes for that you want your money back for supporting her.

Kristen May 10, 2010, 6:33 PM

Really? You cant expect a teenage girl to be a role model. I’m sorry you can’t be a real mom. you’re putting the responsibility of teaching your kids whats appropriate or not, ON A TEENAGE GIRL. Its pathetic.
I’m 16. I thought this was tastefully done. The costumes are not revealing. She COULD be dancing in bra and panties. But I don’t even see a lot of skin. You should teach your kid whats right and wrong. Not a young adult.