Mom Accidentally Runs Over Her Baby on Mother's Day

This is the most horrific thing we can imagine. Anawia Boney, 1, was accidentally run over and killed by her mother on Mother's Day!

Anawia was playing with two cousins (ages 7 and 8) in the yard of their grandparents' apartment complex in Ogden, Utah. The girls ran inside to get a blanket for the toddler to sit on. At that time, Anawia's mother decided to drive her SUV closer to the apartment. She didn't realize that the toddler was sitting on the grass, and accidentally ran the little girl over.

According to the safety advocacy group Kids and Cars, more than 2,400 children are treated in hospital emergency rooms every year after being struck or run over by a vehicle; at least two are fatally injured each and every week. (This is known as "bye-bye syndrome," because it's often kids who are saying "goodbye" to a relative as they leave who are run over.) More than 60 percent of these incidents involve a larger-size vehicle such as a truck, van or SUV -- like the one little Anawia's mom was driving.

Kids and Cars' recommendations for keeping children safe include:

• Walk around and behind a vehicle prior to moving it.
  • Know where your kids are. Make children move away from your vehicle to a place where they are in full view before moving the car, and make sure that another adult is properly supervising children before moving your vehicle.
  • Teach children that "parked" vehicles might move. Let them know that although they can see the vehicle, the driver might not be able to see them.
  • Consider installing cross-view mirrors, audible collision detectors, a rear-view video camera and/or some type of back-up detection device.
  • Measure the size of your blind spot behind the vehicle(s) you drive. A 5-foot-1-inch driver in a pickup truck can have a rear blind zone that's approximately 8 feet wide by 50 feet long.
  • Be aware that steep inclines and large SUVs, vans and trucks add to the difficulty of seeing behind a vehicle.
  • Hold children's hands when leaving the vehicle.
  • Teach your children to never play in, around or behind a vehicle.
  • Keep toys and other sports equipment off the driveway.
  • Trim landscaping around the driveway to ensure that drivers can see the sidewalk, street and pedestrians clearly when backing out. Pedestrians also need to be able to see a vehicle pulling out of the driveway.
  • Never leave children alone in or around cars -- not even for a minute.
  • Keep vehicles locked at all times (even when they're in the garage or driveway), and always set your parking brake.
  • Never leave keys and/or remote openers within reach of children.
  • Make sure all child passengers have left the car after it is parked.
  • Be especially careful about keeping children safe in and around cars during holidays, busy times, schedule changes and periods of crisis.

Our thoughts go out to Anawia's family in this tragic time.

next: Mom Who ROCKS: Designer Tarina Tarantino
Anonymous May 10, 2010, 3:16 PM

WTF were a 7 and 8 year old doing watching a one year oldwith out adult supervision

Anonymous May 10, 2010, 3:49 PM

she didn’t look so she killed her kid

shaunta20 May 10, 2010, 5:22 PM

I will pray for the baby, and the mother also.

Renae May 10, 2010, 5:51 PM

This is so awful, but there’s definitely some sketch going on here…

Rita May 10, 2010, 10:08 PM

That’s so horrible and sad, but I agree, wtf were a 7 and 8 year old doing watching a 1 year old without adult supervision?

Anonymous May 11, 2010, 6:39 AM

Why was she driving up a curb to park on grass for? DO YOU REALLY NEED TO PARK THAT CLOSE! I don’t think so. Laziness and stupidity wins again. I was run over as a child and am lucky to be alive still. My dad did it high on drugs, what is this mother’s REAL excuse? Poor Baby Anawia deserved better.

Me May 11, 2010, 6:52 AM

That poor family. Everyone makes one second mistakes and this poor mom will live with the misery of it forever. My heart goes out to that child and the family. Heartbreaking.

Danielle May 11, 2010, 9:18 AM

I don’t live in Ogden but I live in Utah and I cried when I read this story. SO sad. My heart goes out to the mother. I can’t imagine. I don’t want to. Very sad. It wasn’t during the day, I don’t know the details but it doesn’t matter. A little girl died and that is sad when a child dies.

Anon May 11, 2010, 6:35 PM

BAD driver

anon May 12, 2010, 6:23 AM

“More than 60 percent of these incidents involve a larger-size vehicle such as a truck, van or SUV”

Does this mean that the other 40% of deaths belong to cars? What a cheap shot!

D. May 12, 2010, 6:34 AM

It’s funny how, when people suggest ways of reducing the number of people killed by the car, they never suggest reducing the number of cars.

kelly May 14, 2010, 3:07 PM

the little girls that were watching her were old enough to do so and there were adults there the hole time and if anyone trys to say that they watch there kids 24 7 they are lieing its imposble the little girl was laying down thats why she was not seen isn’t bad enough that the mother will live with this for the rest of her life and the little girls that put her on the grass will always feel like it was there fault well i know that it was no ones fault so if you weren’t there shut the hell up i was there just after it happened and every one in that complex tried damn hard to save her, her hole family tried to save her so people i know that this is a feel free to comment country but stay out of it if you don’t know all the facts if you wish them well is one thing but when you say things you know nothing about just bite your lips and move on!!!!!

Nicolas May 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Used Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:43 AM

gunfoor123 February 5, 2011, 7:10 AM

I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.
happy birthday wishes

Kelly Brooks February 6, 2011, 2:45 PM

Myrtle Beach Golf Packages

smithonline March 3, 2011, 8:01 AM

I am glad to read this post, its an interesting one. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. Thanks
carpenter bee control

Tonsil Stones Secret Home Remedies April 3, 2011, 12:52 PM

I am not in fact positive if best practices have emerged nearly things like that, except I am sure that your big job is obviously identified. I was questioning if you offer any subscription near your RSS feeds because I would be extremely interested.

I like this data given and it has given me some sort of desire to succeed for some reason, so thank you.

Can I just say what a pain relief to hit upon someone who in fact knows what theyre discussion concerning on top of the internet. You definitely tell how to bring an concern to light and construct it important. Additional public have to to study this and realize this side of the narrative. I cant believe youre not additional well-liked since you definitely have the gift.