'Parenthood' Issues: 'You Dyed Your Hair?!'

On last night's season finale of "Parenthood," Adam and Kristina Braverman FREAKED OUT when their 15-year-old daughter, Haddie, unexpectedly dyed her hair. It has us chatting around the office: Would you freak out, too?

parenthood

So, a lot has happened to poor Haddie during this seaon of "Parenthood" -- I mean, her cousin did sleep with her (kind of) ex-boyfriend. And as a result, Haddie decided to become a new woman and dye her hair from mousy brown to bold and black. Her parents, Adam and Kristina, of course freaked -- not only because she dyed her hair, but because she didn't tell them first. (What teens do you know who would tell their parents first?)

On the show, it (of course) launched a family discussion as to what this hair-color change could possibly indicate about Haddie's social life. Is she sleeping around? Doing drugs? Skipping school?

How would you react in the Bravermans' shoes?

next: Jesse James: Did Childhood Abuse Lead to Cheating?
Anon May 26, 2010, 1:13 PM

Kids do that type of thing. Nothing to get all up in arms about.

Rita May 26, 2010, 1:15 PM

Wow. I was 14 when I first dyed my hair and my mom helped me. I don’t know if she would have been upset if I had dyed it without telling her first. I had (have) enough respect to tell her and she chose to help me. I have a cool mom. (I’m 30 now btw)

Rita May 26, 2010, 1:20 PM

Right? I was 14 when I first dyed my hair and my mom helped me. Guess I just have a cool mom. I wasn’t sleeping around, skipping school or doing anything like that. It’s silly to assume a teenager is going to be doing all sorts of bad stuff just because they dyed their hair. BTW, I’m 30 now and I’m married with kids. Dying my hair at 14 didn’t pave a way to a drug filled life!

Natalie May 26, 2010, 6:30 PM

Yeah….I’d think nothing of it. So what if my 15 year old dyed her hair? It’s just hair. It’ll grow out. No biggie!

Monica May 26, 2010, 9:10 PM

I remember begging my mom to let me dye my hair. She said I had to wait until 16. Then her and her friend helped me dye it red.. but not long after I went for pitch black without telling her. Uhm yeah, she freaked out.

As for what was going on in my social life. That’s right about the time I started being bad and doing a whole lot of thing I shouldn’t.

I have seen ppl that dye their kids hair when they’re like 10. I think it’s ridiculous and I’d never let me kids do that. Ever.

Lilly May 27, 2010, 4:52 AM

Students’ studying process requires perfect writing skills, however, university students, which are short of time can fail their success. Hence, to purchase the good essay at the dissertation writer writing service will be a correct solution.

Cheryl May 27, 2010, 5:49 AM

Eh, I was a teen in the 80’s. We all changed haircolors and weird haircuts almost weekly. Usually my mom just rolled her eyes and said nothing. It did not lead to anything like drugs or anything. It is just hair.

Monica May 29, 2010, 7:01 PM

I would think nothing of it. As long as it was a normal color like black or brown. And nothing like red, orange or green. No problem. I did this when I was a teen. I wanted to dye my hair and my mother said no. I found out from a friend that you could dye it from using peroxide. So I tried it and it came out like a honey blonde to a reddish brown. When my mother saw it she didn’t really get upset. But she didn’t quite like the color it came out. Then she had the nerve to say ” if you wanted to dye it all you had to do was tell me.” Very upset because I did ask and she said no. Then my hair fell out …. it was so short I could barely make twig of a ponytail.

Claretta Ishizu November 13, 2010, 4:29 PM

Do you mind if I put this up on my personal blog?

Donnie Ingwerson November 15, 2010, 6:57 PM

Interesting post, I am going to put it on my blog

Bianca Hanhan November 15, 2010, 7:00 PM

Do you mind if I put this up on my personal blog?

Alexa Smith February 6, 2011, 2:47 PM

On the show, it (of course) launched a family discussion as to what this hair-color change could possibly indicate about Haddie’s social life. Is she sleeping around? Doing drugs? Skipping school?
Glock 26

Hellseher  March 5, 2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the article on www.momlogic.com!!