Pregnant? Obese Moms-to-Be Should NOT Eat for Two

A new study by the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research has found that overweight pregnant women should NOT eat for two, reports "Good Morning America." In fact, most overweight moms-to-be should not gain ANY weight during pregnancy. This will help them avoid high blood pressure, diabetes, bigger babies, C-sections and birth injuries.

"GMA" featured mom-to-be Jamie Martin, who at 7½ months pregnant has only gained six pounds.

If gaining less weight is healthier for mom and baby, we're all for it -- but it seems like it would be really hard to gain little to no weight during pregnancy.

Plus-sized moms: How many pounds did you gain during pregnancy? What do you think of this new study?

Shari May 10, 2010, 11:21 AM

I am 26 weeks pregnant & have not gained any weight. In fact, I have lost about 4 lbs. My baby is measuring exactly to my due date & seems to be perfectly healthy. My Dr’s at not concerned about my weight loss at all & say it’s normal for overweight women to lose weight or not gain much.

Milady May 10, 2010, 11:30 AM

SMH…how many obese people do YOU know who actually gained weight during pregnancy? Did anyone ever stop to think that this can cause malnurishment (yes ignoramuses obese people can be malnurished too) in pregnant women? It’s not a matter of ‘eating for two.’ It’s how do I keep a growing life inside me healthy? At 7 months pregnant, I weighed 158 lbs because a doctor told me that it wouldn’t be a good idea to gain weight during pregnancy. I had lost 36 lbs during that time and subsequently went into preterm labor and birthed a child with a serious low blood count. Why? Since I wasn’t supposed to gain weight, I ate LESS than I did before I became pregnant, which was easy to do because I was sick most of the time. DO NOT DISCUSS WEIGHT WITH PREGNANT WOMEN! Discuss how to keep themselves and the baby healthy and nourished. If the doctor focuses on weight, this will be all a pregnant woman will hear. The nutrition part will go out the window.

Nancy May 10, 2010, 12:23 PM

I gave birth at 25 weeks. The early delivery had nothing to do with my weight or my weight gain but 5 years ago I was told not to think I am eating for 2. That is not what pregnancy is. Baby gets what it needs first then you get what you need. I gained ONE POUND my entire pregnancy. I was overweight to start, I ate more than I did BEFORE I was pregnant but I used more, and I tend to think about what I am putting into my body because I am putting it into my body for someone else. Our son was born at 1 lb 11 ounces. He was “healthy” for his early gestation. I am seeing our amazing OB and he still doesn’t think I should gain weight in pregnancy and lose as much as I can. Our reproductive endocrinologist also thinks that gaining weight in pregnancy is not necessary if you are bigger to start AS does our perinatologist. Lower IQ not so much.

Nicole  May 11, 2010, 5:17 AM

I am plus size and lost 40 pounds while I was pregnant because I ate right the entire time.

Danielle May 11, 2010, 9:54 AM

bravo Nicole. I am not over weight but I gained 34-40 with my pregnancies. I felt like I was starving though, I had no room in my belly. I have big babies and I’m on the petite side. I was eating for two after pregnancy. I nurse so it makes it even harder to not eat a lot. Food is wonderful, just have to stick with the healthy food and you’ll be fine as long as your not a couch potato ^_^

Kristin May 11, 2010, 2:21 PM

I am 34 weeks pregnant and started the pregnancy overweight. My doctor told me to only gain 20 pounds, but I’ve only gained 3. In fact my weight has been exactly the same since January and I’m looking at being thinner when the baby is born than I was before I got pregnant. I did’t try to not gain any weight…I eat when I’m hungry and stop eating when I’m full. Plus I’ve cut out all soda and most junk food. My doctor isn’t worried about my weight at all, in fact, he is worried about my baby being too big. My belly is measuring 3 weeks ahead of how far along I am (it is the same measurement you’d expect from someone who is 37 weeks along) and I’m under doctor’s orders to not any sweets. That’s tough, but it’s better than having a baby that’s too big.

Heather K May 21, 2010, 9:03 AM

While I lost weight in my first pregnancy (and I ate the recommended calorie intake of 2300, btw, thanks very much, no malnutrition) and gained nothing in my second, this is total and complete garbage. Nothing but fat-phobia and obstetric control freaks. I thought we were long past the 50s where women were told not to gain weight during pregnancy. This is just stupid. Women have to eat what they need to eat for the health of the BABY. Most of the pregnancy complications I’ve known that weren’t totally iatrogenic were in average sized women (and they get their share of meddlesome doctors, too). Yes, that’s anecdotal, but so are most of these “studies” since doctors traditionally look for more things to be wrong in overweight women and end up causing more problems than they prevent most of the time. The same problems might be there in average weight women if they spent the same amount of time looking for and causing them (and no, I don’t think they should—I think they need to back off on ALL women and learn a few things from midwives, which all OBs should be required to apprentice under before being allowed near a normal pregnancy—on a woman of ANY size).

Christi May 22, 2010, 11:21 AM

After my baby was born last year I had a total loss of 60 lbs from pre-pregnancy weight. I started out overweight and diabetic (on insulin). I ate right, but my metabolism worked right for the first time in my life (I have pcos too) while pregnant. I typically eat healthy anyway because of my diabetes but all the extra work my body was doing to help create a new life just kicked my metabolism into overdrive.
My perinatalogists that I saw throughout my pregnancy weren’t concerned at all about my weight and mentioned it only once when I asked a question about it.
For what it’s worth, all the bs about losing weight or not gaining helps avoid complications… I had pre-e pretty badly at the end of my pregnancy and was scheduled to be induced at 38 weeks. I was having pretty significant contractions that day anyway and induction went perfectly except the baby was turned funny and had a big head so she was born via c-section (not for any other reason than I couldn’t push her out because her head was big). Even tho I am diabetic, she was a perfect weight at 7 lbs 9 oz and was and still is perfectly healthy.
Doctors do focus too much on weight rather than nutrition. If it’s such a big issue they should have nutritionists available for every patient!

beyoga May 25, 2010, 7:19 AM

I am 6 weeks pregnant and 40 pounds overweight. I’ve been eating the right amount of calories and making sure I eat the proper amounts of protiens, vegetables, ect. for pregnancy and I have lost 2 pounds over the last two weeks. I eat every 3-4 hours. I don’t see how I could eat this well and not loose some weight. I’m never hungry and I feel really good.

Samantha  May 26, 2010, 9:31 AM

no pregnant woman should “eat for two.” pregnant woman, no matter what their weight or health should just keep on eating a balanced diet. you will gain and lose weight accordingly, regardless of numbers. there is no set number of pounds women should gain or lose, because everyone’s body is different.

Pregnancy Foods October 23, 2010, 11:54 PM

Sifting all this stuff out has caused more more stress than it should. I’m thankful for places like this that help me get through this!