ml's Susannah Locketti: This dish is a go-to family favorite. When I serve this at buffet parties, it's always one of the first to go! I can't tell you how many times post-party I get a call for the recipe. Luckily, this one is simple enough to memorize -- and affordable enough to serve anytime!
Sausage & Pepper Strip Pasta
1 box Ronzoni Smart Taste thin spaghetti
1 lb. hot or sweet Italian sausage
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. bag frozen mixed-pepper strips
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
While the pasta is boiling, remove the sausage from the casings and put it in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break up the sausage into bite-size pieces while it cooks. When cooked through, add the garlic, pepper strips and olive oil. Stir and continue to cook until the pepper strips are hot. Strain the pasta when cooked al dente (nine minutes) and add to the sausage skillet. Stir to thoroughly combine. Serve on individual plates, top with the grated cheese and season to taste.
Susannah's Time- & Money-Saving Sense:
- Thin spaghetti cooks up fast. This Ronzoni brand was on sale and is high in fiber, which I love for my family. The added fiber fills my kids up and prevents late-night snack attacks!
- Removing the sausage from the casings allows the sausage to cook up faster, and it also distributes the meat more evenly throughout the recipe.
- Using a quick-chopper saves tons of time mincing the garlic. Have the kids do this!
- Frozen peppers for under $1.50 is insane! Not to mention, I get red, yellow and green from this pack -- and the slicing is already done for me! No need to defrost, either!
- A well-stocked pantry with olive oil and grated cheese saves you money and additional time at the grocery store. These are must-have pantry essentials for pulling off dinner fast!
- Any additional veggie you have on hand would go great with this recipe.
- Ditch the olive oil and add red sauce for even more nutrition.
- Chicken or ground turkey will also work for this recipe.
Pasta -- $1.00 (on sale)
Sausage -- $2.99 (on sale)
Garlic -- $ .68
Frozen pepper strips -- $1.34 (on sale)
Olive oil -- Free (on hand)
Cheese -- Free (on hand)
Total Cost: $6.01
|Susannah Locketti is an on-air chef and lifestyles personality discovered by the Food Network. Susannah is a mother of two boys who specializes in low-cost approaches to food and home. She is currently working on her first cookbook.|