Screw Teacher Appreciation Week

Angry Mom: I am not a big fan of my daughter's teacher. Sometimes you click with a teacher, and sometimes you don't. I'm basically just counting the days 'til my daughter's out of Mrs. Johnson's class.

teacher at her desk

My daughter has ADHD, and the teacher has basically refused to work with us on this. She suggested we "transfer her to a more appropriate school." HELLO?!

Well, last week, I got the sheet from the room mother announcing Teacher Appreciation Week. It listed what the kids were expected to bring each day. My immediate thoughts are italicized.

Monday: Bring a sweet treat for Mrs. Johnson (home-baked, if possible).
Um, I don't have time to bake! I have two jobs, just trying to keep food on the table. But I'd be happy to slip her a Chips Ahoy!, if she'd like that ....

Tuesday: Bring in a flower from your garden for Mrs. Johnson.
I live in an apartment. I don't have a garden. Maybe a weed from the patch of grass next to the parking lot?

Wednesday: Write a poem for Mrs. Johnson.
Roses are red, violets are blue, this week sucks, and so do you!

Thursday: Bring a small gift for Mrs. Johnson ($10 limit).
In these tough times, ten dollars is tough to scrape together. Is the 99-cent store OK
instead?

Friday: Please donate $20 for our class gift fund. We are going to get her a day at the spa!
Um, MOMMY could use a day at the spa ... what about me?!?!?!?!

Look, don't get me wrong ... I love teachers! I think it is the hardest job in the world. But this particular teacher is less than great, and I don't want to be forced to show how much my daughter "appreciates" her.

Plus, don't working moms have enough to keep track of? Now I have five more things to add to my to-do list this week. THANKS.

What do you think about Teacher Appreciation Week?

next: Sarah Jessica Parker Spent Almost 2 Months Away From Babies
Anonymous May 3, 2010, 4:11 AM

Gee it’s only a suggestion, not a mandate. Lighten up will ya? No one is putting a gun to your head and saying do this or else. Some moms really like the direction, some don’t. If you don’t like it, throw the paper in the trash and get over it. The fact that you even feel the need to blog about it shows how many issues you have. Maybe the apple doesn’t fall that far from the tree.

Kristin May 3, 2010, 7:05 AM

If she’s really been that much of a problem I wouldn’t waste my money on her Spa Day. Sorry you had a poopy teacher this year. I hope next year is better.

momtrolfreak May 3, 2010, 8:04 AM

Um, maybe no one has bought you a spa day because you’d complain about it. Your teacher suggesting that your daughter might require some additional resources sounds like a teacher that’s paying attention…I’d rather have that than one who didn’t know my kid’s name. Maybe if you weren’t so busy blogging lists of how much time you don’t have to appreciate your child’s teacher, and how angry you are that McDonal’s won;t be allowed to shill crap toys along with their crap food, you’d have more time to appreciate your child’s teacher. Hey, maybe you could give Mrs. Johnson a happy meal toy as a thank you?

Black Iris May 3, 2010, 10:49 AM

I think this is a good example of how not to do Teacher Appreciation Week. Sending out a letter like this puts pressure on the parents to give something every day. You worry about what the teacher will think of your kid if they don’t bring flowers. It’s really unfair to everyone. A much better approach would just be a reminder that you can send in a baked good, poem, plant, or contribution, if you wish. The class gift should have every kids name on it, whether or not the parent actually gives anything.

Anonymous May 3, 2010, 11:47 AM

i wouldn’t participate either

friend May 3, 2010, 12:22 PM

I believe the note is for the student, mainly. Children need to learn to show appreciation for others and it’s a way for them to express themselves in a socially acceptable manner. Whether or not you appreciate that teacher is another matter. secondly, some people are more willing to or easier to cooperate than others. in this case, there are 3 factors: your daughter, her teacher, and you. as far as i can tell from what you’ve expressed, your attitude is not helping the situation. children can be a handful, especially those with adhd. try to think from the teacher’s perspective. maybe take some time off work and audit the class. everybody’s busy, but in order to get things done and done right, sometimes, we have to make some sacrifices and do it ourselves. good luck and have a happy mother’s appreciation day!

Gail Cooke May 3, 2010, 1:15 PM

Hmmm…coercing gifts from children, classy. Very classy. Quite frankly, your gift is having a job. A lot of people don’t. It’s ridiculous..if you need it mandated that someone appreciates you, then you probably need a different job.

Gail Cooke May 3, 2010, 1:17 PM

Oh, and to the person who commented about Mother’s Day, teachers don’t give birth to you, feed you, clothe you, love you, and make sure you have a roof over your head. Mothers (most mothers, that is) deserve a day..teachers, not so much.

Mindy May 3, 2010, 1:50 PM

Sheesh, what happened to “Love One Another?” I am sure the paper sent home is just a SUGGESTION- my child’s school does the same thing. True, it may seem a little forward, but it is NOT snet by he teachers, it is sent by the PTA. You do not have to participate! And to trash all teachers, because you do not see eye to eye with one? All of these comments filled with back-biting- how many of you have a Master’s degree and work with close to thirty children, many with parents who do NOT teach them respect, accountability, or manners, for such low pay??? I am so tired of all the ignorance and hate! If you loathe teachers that much, here’s an idea: HOMESCHOOL!!!
And Gail, where did you get the idea that teachers do not deserve a day because they do not love you?!?!? All of the teachers I know, teach because of their love for children and education. I am sorry you feel so much anger that you must lash out in hurtful ways.

Anonymous May 3, 2010, 1:56 PM

teaching is definately not the hardest job in the world and most of them dont even do their job right…i should know i have some pretty stupid teachers

Lucinda May 3, 2010, 2:10 PM

This article speaks to my heart! OMG! I wish I would get a letter home requesting all that mess for a teacher that I don’t appreciate at all! lol Teachers week..please..I’m a mom! Where’s my day at the bleep spa! I work two jobs and I go to school and still try to make more time for my kids than I do myself.

Nancy May 3, 2010, 5:03 PM

I am all for showing teachers appreciation, but that list is a bit much. And from reading that list it sounds to me like that teacher might have meant something else when she suggested that the child be sent to a more “appropriate” school. That list sounds like something you would expect a stay at home mom to do, not a child.

Gail Cooke May 3, 2010, 5:24 PM

Mindy, I’m not angry, I’m just saying that I don’t think that children should be influenced into a gift(s) that aren’t spontaneous…one would think that a forced gift is less of importance than one given because it’s demanded. And a whole week of presents…sounds a little ridiculous. And regardless of whether teachers love the kids they teach, if the kid doesn’t love them… I love my co-workers, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to hand them presents. And certainly not a whole week’s worth.

Christy May 3, 2010, 6:05 PM

About $35 dollars right? Um I don’t think so!

I don’t care for my son’s teacher at all. But my son loves her. So for TAW a small gift (made by him) is appropriate. I can’t imagine getting a list like that! I would probably send a list back of priorities that come before gifts to a teacher I don’t like!

Even when I really like their teachers I don’t send extravagant gifts like $20 for a spa day. Like you, I need a spa day too. But who has the money for that?

And for her information, that school is the appropriate school for your adhd child!

Like everything in life there are good and bad. Good teachers,bad teachers The good ones need the appreciation for doing a unthinkable job. I can’t imagine being in a room all day with 30 kids. But appreciation comes in a lot of forms. Gifts are not the only way to show them we care. Time is more useful to good teachers and they will tell you that. So no I won’t be sending any gifts to school for TAW. But I will be there to help them in whatever endeavor they send me on!

Mc May 3, 2010, 6:13 PM

Ummm Mindy just finished saying that its NOT forced, that it’s more than likely a suggestion…AND it was even said it was from the room mother rather than the teacher….READ people…maybe if you weren’t so angry at teachers you could have learned too from one…

Kim May 3, 2010, 6:15 PM

Do you have any idea how difficult parents like you make teaching?

Karrine May 3, 2010, 6:20 PM

What about the child who is left sitting there with no ‘home baked treats’ or flowers, or gift because really people - thousands of families are losing their homes everyday in the USA.

Someone above said it is a ‘suggestion’. Tell that to the child with tears in their eyes because they are ‘left out’ of the celebration when they have no gift.

I would write a letter to the principal of the school and.

A week ?! That’s crazy. One day is more then enough to ‘acknowledge’ anyone. Even mothers ;)

I really value teachers. I feel we should appreciate them every day by supporting fair wages, working conditions, and telling them every day we appreciate them. Especially the good ones.

I have to wonder how an ‘official week’ of appreciation was passed ?

I would like a national Vet appreciation week -and a postal worker week- and a housecleaner week- and a police officer week. There wouldn’t be enough weeks in the year and we’d all be broke. A single day is more then enough for an ‘official appreciation’.

Caligirl06 May 3, 2010, 6:32 PM

As a teacher it’s the PTA and room mother
that help during our teacher week. Here is a easy idea just have your daughter draw a picture for her teacher. The way you talk about the teacher is not helping your daughter, I hope you don’t say anything negatIve in front of your daughter, kids come to school and repeat what parent’s say.

Anonymous May 3, 2010, 6:36 PM

why don’t you try teaching for one week and see how appreciated you feel. Your teacher obviously cares or she would have just ignored her concerns about your daughter.

Sarah May 3, 2010, 6:39 PM

Well. I’m a teacher an elementary teacher to narrow it down. I do not expect to be pampered, Would be embarased if a list like this was sent home on my behalf and would cry if the comments above were about me.

Some of the comments above are plain hateful. Do you know that I do love a lot of my students more than their mothers do? That I pay for their lunches and breakfasts on a regular basis? That I make sure they wash their faces and brush their teeth because no one at home helps them. I give them books, crayons, pencils, and glue. I have bought clothes, coats, and shoes.

I have never asked for a gift and cringe when I know some of my families have spent money on me. I know peer pressure is a hard thing to deal with but a homemade card and a hug will stand out above all of those other gifts. Your child’s teacher I would hope understands your financial situation and will express her gratitude to your child with a smile, a hug and a sincere thank you.
The note sent home was not about you but rather your child and their teacher. You might not like her but your child does. Be the grown up and don’t corrupt that for them.