Screw Teacher Appreciation Week

Angry Mom: I am not a big fan of my daughter's teacher. Sometimes you click with a teacher, and sometimes you don't. I'm basically just counting the days 'til my daughter's out of Mrs. Johnson's class.

teacher at her desk

My daughter has ADHD, and the teacher has basically refused to work with us on this. She suggested we "transfer her to a more appropriate school." HELLO?!

Well, last week, I got the sheet from the room mother announcing Teacher Appreciation Week. It listed what the kids were expected to bring each day. My immediate thoughts are italicized.

Monday: Bring a sweet treat for Mrs. Johnson (home-baked, if possible).
Um, I don't have time to bake! I have two jobs, just trying to keep food on the table. But I'd be happy to slip her a Chips Ahoy!, if she'd like that ....

Tuesday: Bring in a flower from your garden for Mrs. Johnson.
I live in an apartment. I don't have a garden. Maybe a weed from the patch of grass next to the parking lot?

Wednesday: Write a poem for Mrs. Johnson.
Roses are red, violets are blue, this week sucks, and so do you!

Thursday: Bring a small gift for Mrs. Johnson ($10 limit).
In these tough times, ten dollars is tough to scrape together. Is the 99-cent store OK
instead?

Friday: Please donate $20 for our class gift fund. We are going to get her a day at the spa!
Um, MOMMY could use a day at the spa ... what about me?!?!?!?!

Look, don't get me wrong ... I love teachers! I think it is the hardest job in the world. But this particular teacher is less than great, and I don't want to be forced to show how much my daughter "appreciates" her.

Plus, don't working moms have enough to keep track of? Now I have five more things to add to my to-do list this week. THANKS.

What do you think about Teacher Appreciation Week?

next: Sarah Jessica Parker Spent Almost 2 Months Away From Babies
peel n stick floor tiles 2 March 28, 2011, 8:08 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Beth O. Morrow March 29, 2011, 5:44 PM

Very helpful

Modesta Furblur March 29, 2011, 6:03 PM

Wow! Thank you! I always needed to write on my website something like that. Can I implement a fragment of your post to my site?

Frederick H. Chen March 31, 2011, 3:07 AM

Intriguing

Brad A. Barbee April 8, 2011, 11:24 AM

Intriguing

J's nana May 3, 2011, 6:11 PM

I have two grown boys and they have had their share of good teachers, a couple of dreadful teachers, and a few exceptional teachers. I was class mom for both of them through the six grade. With the exception of one year when I had to be class mom full time in one class as the teacher was an alcholic and I was afraid for my son or the other students to be alone with her. I have always participated in teacher appreciation day with a gift for the class to give to the teacher, a card I had every child sign, a pict of the class complete with all their signatures, and helped making food and serving the potluck on T.A.D. This is my gd’s first year of kindergarden and I see that Teacher appreciation day has become teacher appreciation week. I was frankly shocked when she received a list of daily presents the children were expected to provide for each and every day of the week. The list was not a suggestion as a previous poster noted. The Teacher Appreciation Memo has the school logo and does not state it is from the pta. A conservative estimate of the weeks gift tally came to over $60. Day one: stationary and nice pen, day 2: card, day 3: bouquet of flowers or nice silk arrangement, day 4:sweets ie box of chocolate, cake, dozen doughnuts, home made brownies, day 5: nice gift. I offered my gd the option instead of a daily event she would rather take the $60 and buy the teacher a really nice gift and make her a home made card and her response was she didn’t want the teacher to think she doesn’t love her as much as the other kids. Apparently, each day during snack time each child will bring their daily present up to the teacher to open in front of the rest of the class and she doesn’t want to be the only one not to have a present for every day. I can’t tell you how shocking I find this and I can’t believe my grandaughters teacher is aware of what is going on. Her teacher is extremely kind, gracious, well bred, and I know she would not want any of the less well to do children in her class feeling degraded. My grandaughter loves her teacher and I know she goes way beyond the duties required of her small paycheck. She has provided my grandaughter not only a solid foundation for her first learning environment but she has made learning fun, whimsical, and exciting. I can’t tell you how it touched my heart when we went to spend lunch with my gd and when it was time for us to leave and a tear came to my grandaughters eye, her teacher gave my grandaughter’s shoulder a squeeze and promised to provide her with an extra hug when they got back to class. So my grandaughter is going to bring her listed gift for each day and I’ll worry that the teacher will find out that the gifts were all a command and always wonder if she was truly appreciated or if we all just gave in to pear pressure. In case my gd’s teacher ever reads this…. they sold you short…. I would have gladly suggested to all the parents that we chip in and buy you a new laptop. It would have been cheaper for the parents but it would be something you could use and your screensaver would have been a picture of your 2011 kindergarden class with a recording of each child telling you how much they love you and appreciate you! They will all be sorry to be moving on to first grade without you!