'Single Ladies' Parents Speak Out

Some parents of the 8- and 9-year-olds whose dance routine ignited a firestorm of controversy on YouTube speak out today on "Good Morning America."

Cory Miller and Melissa Presch say this video was taken out of context and wasn't meant to be seen by millions of viewers. They also say the routine was inspired by Alvin and the Chipmunks, NOT Beyonce.

They claim the skimpy costumes are common in the competitive dance community.

What do you think of their explanation? Are YOU buying it?

next: I'm Honored to Be My Daughter's Best Friend
Megan May 15, 2010, 8:49 AM

It is not about the children, per se … but the adults who *had to know* such a dance was inappropriately sexual according to adult standards, and who taught them anyway. Because EVERYONE who watches this video sees its sexuality, whether you reason this away with a mess of excuses or not.

Harmony May 15, 2010, 9:35 AM

I am personally outraged, i cannot undersatnd the reasoning behind letting your 8-year-old dance like that. The saddest thing is that you can tell that they are really god dancers, and they did not need to move like that to show it. When it comes to talent, you do not need to be sexy to sell it, the talent sells itself.

Anonymous May 15, 2010, 4:04 PM

They could have at least gave them a spray tan. They look pasty white in those costumes.

Kristine May 15, 2010, 7:51 PM

I’m a belly dancer and if my daughter danced like this, I’d yank her out of that studio pronto! This is not dancing, but preening and vamping. Egyptian children move their hips and rib cages, and it is not provocative. It looks nothing like this aggressive grinding, and of course this is meant to be provocative! Give me a break about the Chipmunks - so where did the movie get its dance moves?

Doreen May 15, 2010, 8:13 PM

Has anyone seen Cabaret or Sweet Charity? There were less dance movements and these were grown women. Oh my goodness. What is the matter with these parents. We all know which websites this is going to be voted the most popular. I guess Polanski and R. Kelly are sponsoring it so.

Paula May 15, 2010, 10:12 PM

Rita…doesn’t matter to me how you feel. I call things as I see them. Fine if YOU want to put YOUR daughters in harm’s way like this. More power to you! Hope you are prepared, though… There is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever permit this kind of exploitation of my children. That is WHY we are PARENTS…we MAKE the decisions FOR our children until they themselves are OLD ENOUGH to start having a say. That is not immaturity. Immaturity is acting as if NOTHING bad could EVER happen to your children! And turning a blind-eye. great! Let you daughters dress in skimpy costumes, if that is how you do things. To each his/her own. Just hope you are prepared for everything that falls in line with that kind of thinking.

4girlsmom May 15, 2010, 10:23 PM

Child abuse is rampant for a reason and the people who condone this or say it’s appropriate seem to be contributing to this trend. If you’re not helping, you’re part of the problem. I thought this was more PC than my first thought that I have never seen this type of dress on any chipmucnk but I have seen it in pictures of brothells.

Rita May 15, 2010, 11:25 PM

Hi Paula! On the contrary, I don’t let my daughter dress in skimpy clothes or costumes. At her dance recital her troupe wore a leotard with little shorts attached, is that indecent? It was a tap dancing routine to Bugle Boy. I put her in one-piece bathing suits for God’s sake and I know of mom’s who put their babies in bikinis, which is just weird to me.

I don’t think I should prevent my daughter from living life and having fun just because something *might* happen to her. She *might* get in a car accident on the way to school, she *might* get hit by a baseball while playing and get knocked unconscious, she *might* slip in the shower and get hurt. Alot of things MIGHT happen but I’m not going to be overprotective and prevent her from enjoying life.

Although, if my daughter were in that troupe, I would have requested better costumes and the pelvic grinding and thrusting be removed and something else put in.

Those girls are highly disciplined and talented to be performing complicated dance moves at 9, like the pirourettes, dropping to the floor and jumping up (easy for them though they’re closer to the ground ha) quickly. They make it look easy but they really are very complicated dance moves. I can assure you they practiced for HOURS after school and on weekends since they were probably 3 or 4 to have achieved that kind of dancing ability at such a young age. The high kicks, pirouetting on one leg, hip falling, leaps, etc are dance moves modern and hip-hop dancers do.

If any of you would like to read more of this, you can see the rest at my blog:

The Parents are Morons May 18, 2010, 4:20 PM

The parents are morons and should have their kids taken away from them.

In what “context” is it acceptable for a 7 - 9 year old child dress in lingerie and dress sexually?

Lyla May 19, 2010, 9:04 AM

“First of all, there is no need to call names. That just shows your immaturity and closed mind.”

IRONY! FTW!!!

lol. I’m just wondering if child protective services has opened an investigation yet. There’s no way I would allow my child to go out in public dressed as a burlesque dancer, costume or no. I danced for many years and we never had to wear anything as racy as this, even in high school competitions. Thank God my teachers knew not only good technique but the boundaries of appropriate behavior and attire. Dance made me a confident, determined person and helped me love myself so much for what I can do and am capable of and I never once had to wear such cheap and exploitative costumes.

BeachesCameras August 28, 2010, 3:03 PM

I’m really to be finally posting online after all these years. There really is no mystique (sp) about it, is there? I just dropped by your blog and had to write something. I’m a recent college grad, journalism major if you must know, and I love the art of photography. I’ve got my site up but it’s nothing to boast about yet. None of my stuff’s been posted. Soon as I figure out how to do that, I’ll spend the afternoon posting my best pictures. anyways just thought I’d drop a line. I hope to return with more substantial stuff, stuff you can actually use. SPG

krep tarifi resimli December 14, 2010, 12:35 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Examples Of An Organizational Chart December 15, 2010, 12:13 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Diy Wedding Program Template December 15, 2010, 12:37 AM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

hair color 2012 trends December 22, 2010, 4:06 AM

danish diet December 27, 2010, 2:28 AM

I was been searching the Web for such information and just wanted to thank you for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

celulita December 27, 2010, 3:53 AM

I have beeing scouring the Web for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Thanks

Long Distance Truck Rental January 6, 2011, 2:52 PM

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.

cheap mini blinds shades January 27, 2011, 4:56 PM

Hey, I appreciate the posts and excellent layout you have here! I have your site favorited to catch any fresh posts. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and the time it took to post!! 2 Thumbs up!

Jarred Pressley February 11, 2011, 4:07 AM

I am always searching online for posts that can facilitate me. Thanks!