Smoking Toddler: Are We Harming OUR Kids Just as Badly?

Jennifer Ginsberg: The video of the 2-year-old Indonesian toddler puffing away on a cigarette like a grown man as his parents and other adults stood idly by has taken the blogosphere by storm.

Toddler smoking

Ardi Riza reportedly has a 40-cigarettes-a-day smoking habit, and his dad doesn't see a problem with it. "He looks healthy to me," his father told a reporter who recently visited his home in the fishing village of Musi Banyuasin, in Indonesia's South Sumatra province.

The boy's mother expressed a bit more concern. "He's totally addicted," she said. "If he doesn't get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick."

This situation is a shocking example of child endangerment and parental ignorance, and it is easy to take a stance of disbelief and condemnation.But it is unfortunate that our culture is quick to point fingers at one horrific display of extreme neglect and addiction, rather than examine the way our own children are subjected to comparable harm every day.

American children are overwhelmingly addicted to refined sugar, fast food, television and video games. While this clearly is not as abhorrent as a toddler smoking a cigarette (let alone 40), it is pervasive nonetheless. On average, kids under age6 spend a third of their day in front of the TV. Kids and teens 8 to 18 years old spend nearly four hours a day in front of a TV screen, and almost two additional hours on the computer (outside of schoolwork) and playing video games.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that kids under 2 years oldnot watch any TV, and that kids over 2 watch no more than one to two hours a day of "quality programming." But many American parents ignore this directive as they park their kids in front of the idiot box.

One of the issues with inactive leisure activities -- such as watching television or playing video games -- is that they contribute to the problem of childhood obesity. Physically inactive children are at risk for developing a myriad of physical and emotional problems, including diabetes and high blood pressure -- but all too often, their parents are reticent about taking responsibility for this.

All parents must be held accountable for the health and well-being of their children. Kids are not able to make responsible choices regarding nutrition, exercise and exposure to technology. It is up to the parents to provide them with healthy food and stimulating activity. Unfortunately, many parents fail to set healthy limits for their kids -- and endanger their health in the process.

As a therapist who specializes in addiction, I am aware of other dramatic examples of adults exposing children to addiction (beyond giving them cigarettes). I've had numerous clients speak of childhoods fraught with addiction. Not only did these clients witness their parents drinking and using drugs (which is tremendously damaging in and of itself), but, in many cases, their parents actually provided them with drugs and alcohol at a young age as well.

Parents who are addicts usually make an initial attempt to shield their children from their using, but as their children grow older and wiser, they catch on.As the parent becomes more progressed in his or her addiction, personal boundaries become violated and the environment gets more and more unsafe and distorted. In an addict's mind, teaching a child to roll a joint may seem not only acceptable, but fun and cool. Children are easily manipulated and can be targeted to fulfill the addict's desire. The emotional toll that this exacts can be lifelong and devastating.

When parents get loaded around their children, they are potentially exposing them to a multitude of emotional, physical and sexual abuses. Additionally, an alcoholic or addicted home is a petri dish for violations of all kinds to flourish.Children will go to great lengths to convince themselves that their parents are "good" and "right," even in the face of unimaginable horrors. These misperceptions can have a lasting impact and persist well into adulthood.

While these examples of everyday neglect and abuse may not be as shocking as a toddler smoking two packs of cigarettes a day, they are still prevalent. It is easy to demonize one poor, ignorant family -- when instead, we should be taking this opportunity to examine our own behavior and honestly evaluate the way we expose our own children to addiction every day.

next: Kendra Wilkinson Angry at Ex for Disrupting Her Family
wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 11:07 AM

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

book of ra March 31, 2011, 3:22 PM

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to give one thing back and help others like you helped me.

reliacard March 31, 2011, 8:10 PM

I can’t find how to subscribe to the comments via feed . I want to keep up to date on this, how do I do that?

computer repair services April 1, 2011, 3:05 AM

Hey There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is a very neatly written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

wamu cards April 1, 2011, 7:16 AM

Hey esto es un gran poste. ¿Puedo utilizar una porción en ella en mi sitio? Por supuesto ligaría a su sitio así que la gente podría leer el artículo completo si ella quiso a. Agradece cualquier manera.

wpolscemamymocneseo April 1, 2011, 8:11 AM

I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

phen375 reviews April 1, 2011, 11:18 AM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.

simplespot April 1, 2011, 4:20 PM

Thanks for the great share. Amazing post.

rankpay review April 1, 2011, 8:16 PM

With all the doggone snow we have gotten recently I am stuck indoors, fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. :)

Custom Pit Bike Graphics April 2, 2011, 11:39 AM

Exactly what I was searching for! thnks so much for Posting the info. I googled for frever and found a bunch of unhlpful info, before I found this. Thanks! Dan

Homes For Sale In Brentwood CA April 2, 2011, 1:39 PM

Thanks for the information, I rarely find what I’m looking for… finally an exception!

Homes For Sale In Brentwood CA April 2, 2011, 3:18 PM

I don’t always agree with everything you say, however you always get me thinking! Instead of arguing with you this time, I’ll just say, “thanks for thinking”!

SolarEnergyNow April 2, 2011, 3:55 PM

Hello - I have to admit, I’m impressed with your site. I have little difficulty navigating through all the loss and information was very easy to gain access to. I found things i wanted in no time whatsoever. Pretty awesome. Would be thankful if you add discussion boards or something like that, it might be an ideal way for your clients to have interaction. Congrats!

Murrieta Remodeling Contractors April 2, 2011, 4:23 PM

I’m always looking for these kinds of posts but its not easy to find such good information.

Gaithersburg Real Estate Agents April 2, 2011, 5:03 PM

Orem Cleaning April 3, 2011, 1:04 AM

Thanks for the post! After a ton of searching, this was the most helpful article. I am glad you took the time to write it. thnks! Bill

Paul492 April 3, 2011, 3:41 AM

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back often!

Jorge Balich April 3, 2011, 7:06 AM

four; one hundred and

Rialto Remodeling Contractors April 3, 2011, 9:21 AM

SolarEnergyAtHome April 4, 2011, 12:25 AM

I praise you a whole lot for publishing this!