How to Destroy a Bride's Self-Esteem: Step 1

The parents of Katie, a bride-to-be, might have had their hearts in the right place when they penned this letter to their daughter, but their brains were obviously somewhere the sun doesn't shine. What kind of mom (you can bet dad had little to do with it) writes, "You are beautiful now"?!

weddingletter.jpg

Source: Buzzfeed.

next: Stay-At-Home Mom Salary = $117,856
Anonymous May 10, 2010, 12:38 PM

Maybe the bride to be kept complaining about gaining weight and her parents are just trying to help her?

lissa May 10, 2010, 12:41 PM

yep, Sounds like something my crazy mother would say. I say people like that you just have to get as far away as you can. Love your self and who cares about them.

Anonymous Mom May 10, 2010, 1:45 PM

My mom insisted I open one Christmas present weeks before Christmas “because I obviously needed it so much”. It was a clothing steamer. Merry Effing Christmas to me…no, my name’s not Katie, but I could see my mom sending me that AND then getting all huffy when I have the audacity to “overreact” and get upset about it.

Anon May 10, 2010, 4:03 PM

What a bunch of jackasses!

vicci May 10, 2010, 5:38 PM

sounds like my mom. only she would tell me to put some make up on cause without it i look sick and that i need to GAIN some weight cause i look sick skinny. nice huh.

gomom.me May 10, 2010, 6:32 PM

I’m sorry, but I don’t see anything wrong with the letter. Without knowing the circumstances behind it…how can one judge. If she gains too much weight she won’t fit the dress. At least they supported her by purchasing a dress for her wedding.

gomom.me May 10, 2010, 6:33 PM

Cynthia S May 10, 2010, 9:52 PM

sounds as if the bride were concerned re weight and the dress fitting and or she has very practical parents with the excessive costs of weddings & dress & this & that & everything else. Maybe this will help reduce the stress, they were referring to something…..

pete May 11, 2010, 8:08 AM

Still laughing about the punchline “help with some of the stress” — as if she wasn’t stressed out enough already, just thinking about Mommy Dearest’s letter would certainly help stress her out good and plenty! I’m a little surprised and saddened to see so many confused comments defending this all too common scenario, though.

Renae May 11, 2010, 9:18 AM

Not only are the multiple grammatical errors in this letter bothering me, but the notion that a wedding dress is an investment is so convoluted. It’s a wedding dress, it does not increase in value over time. Stupid…

Gayle May 11, 2010, 12:06 PM

Sounds like what my Brother In Laws wife should have gotten before she bought her first wedding dress a year and a half before the wedding. She couldn’t fit into the original dress and they ended up having to buy her a new one two weeks before hand.

Kristi May 11, 2010, 8:11 PM

It’s very probable that the bride is losing too much weight - I’ve yet to meet a bride that wasn’t on a stringent pre-wedding diet and exercise regimen - which could explain the first sentence of the letter as well as the comment about the investment in the dress.

kirsen paige May 11, 2010, 8:23 PM

I think this is funny. My nana says the most insanely rude stuff to me all of the time and doesnt mean to be mean. Thats just how she is, so I have learned to laugh it off. When I told her I was pregnant the FIRST thing she said was. Oh your the type thats gonna get fat everywhere. I’m 5 4 and 125 pounds. pretty average. You just have to laugh it off and not worry, cause you know they love you.

Casey May 11, 2010, 9:03 PM

Those grammar errors look ESL to me. My guess is that the family is of either Latino or Asian descent. Different cultures are a little more open with their thoughts in this way.

Amanda May 11, 2010, 9:20 PM

Sounds like my in-laws…the summer before I got married, I drew a cartoon-style drawing of my husband and I. The first thing my father in law said when he saw it was “don’t you think she drew herself too thin?”. To top it off, at my bridal shower a couple weeks later, my father in law’s brother bought me a scale as a gift, saying he thought I could use it, but I could return it if I thought it was “tasteless”

michelle May 12, 2010, 11:54 AM

I love how you just assume Dad couldn’t have been involved. Sexist much? I know a few dads personally who say stuff like this to their daughters. Also, I think the scariest thing about this piece is that more than one commenter thought the note had multiple grammatical errors. What were they?

Anonymous May 12, 2010, 2:35 PM

at least its written with lovely penmanship! i say make mom write out all the invites by hand!

forex robot May 18, 2010, 8:42 PM

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

Kila May 23, 2010, 4:15 PM

I’ve seen this before. The bride mentioned she’s only about 115 lbs, or something like that.

Robinson March 31, 2011, 11:37 AM

This is your best post yet!