The Baby Is WHERE?

Michelle Kemper Brownlow: We all have the fear that our babies will crawl their way to unsafe places. Well, you'll never believe this story!

San Antonio bus driver Mike Hubbard gotthe shock of a lifetime when driving his bus down a dark side street just after midnight: Something was sitting in the middle of the road. He slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting that something -- which turned out to be1-year-old Destiny Flores, dressed only in a diaper and sitting comfortably on the double yellow line.

"From a distance, I can't tell exactly what it is," Hubbard recalls. "It looks like a dog, something moving around -- I can't really tell what it was. I started slowing down, and then I noticed it was a baby in the middle of the street."

Hubbard's dashboard camera caught amazing video of that night. The video shows Hubbard approaching the baby, and a man entering the scene, grabbing the baby and running back toward the sidewalk. Hubbard reports that the man ran into a house and had not been outside when the bus stopped.

This incident occurred more than a year ago, but the video surfaced afterChild Protective Services became involved in what is believed to be another incident involving all the Flores children (there are three girls).

Destiny's mom, Catherine Gonzalez, 25, was tearful in a "Today" interview via satellite. "People just don't realize these things happen," she sobbed. "It was just an accident."

I do have to say that this scenario could play out in any home on any street. How many of us have woken up to find that our child has climbed out of the crib for the first time? What if, instead of waking you up, your child crawled out the screen door just like Destiny had?

I am sure there will be more attention given to the Gonzalez-Flores case, and my hope is that the children in this case remain safe -- no matter where or with whom it's ruled they will live.

next: Right on Target
Rita May 19, 2010, 8:05 PM

As usual, momlogic didn’t put all the details in. It wasn’t a matter of the baby waking up and crawling out of the crib. If you go to www.woai.com they have an interview with the mother and the bus driver as well as video of the incident. This happened last May. It was midnight as the VIA bus driver was driving down what is usually a busy 4-lane road on the South side of San Antonio, thankfully, for some reason, it wasn’t busy at that time. The bus driver stopped and got out and went up to the baby. He looked around for a second, then a man ran out of a nearby house(while pulling his pants up), scooped the baby up, and went back inside without saying a word to anybody. The bus driver reported the incident, as he should have. The mother said they were in the living room and they heard the door open but she thought the screen door was locked so they didn’t think anything of it. Now she’s battling CPS for her kids. She says it could have happened to anyone, and all sorts of people on the woai website are saying they know her and she’s a good mom. Bullsh*t. If she was a good mom, first of all she would have gotten up right away as soon as she heard the front door open. I could go on and on but the bottom line is this was the parents fault, they should have known where their baby was. It’s a miracle nothing bad happened to the child.

Rita May 19, 2010, 8:16 PM

One more thing: I’m Hispanic and I hate how Hispanics like these are giving us a bad name. I wish they would just do something with their lives and depending on everyone else to pay for their food and/or medical expenses while sitting on their fat a$$e$, too lazy to work, lying on their food stamps application so they can milk the system for all it’s worth and don’t do a darn thing for their community. At least some people who get government help are working and contributing to their communities by volunteering and helping at churches, and get off of government help as soon as they can. Food stamps and Medicaid are meant to help you get back on your feet, it’s not a free handout forever. Most Hispanics are proud and hard-working, it’s these lazy ones that give us a bad name!

Rita May 19, 2010, 8:48 PM

Oops go to www.ksat.com for better and more information.

elizabeth w May 19, 2010, 9:00 PM

I agree about the food stamp thing. I lost my job while prgoo with my 1st child. We are framers and were having one of the worst seasons ever. Loosing my job ment loosing grocery $ I tried to get some type of assistance via food stamps (we only needed them for 2 or 3 months) and I wasn’t even allowed to finish the application because we are farmers. It didn’t matter that we had no $ and that I was expecting. We raise chickens for goodness sakes! I had to get food from churches to feed myself, my unborn child and husband. If someone who only needs help like that for a short time can’t get it but ppl who don’t try to work can, then shame on them! Taking m from those who really need it!and nope, I couldn’t even get WIC.

kpaige May 20, 2010, 9:34 AM

Hispanics aren’t the only ones milking the system. I’m surprised to hear such a rant singling them out! All sorts of people are abusing the system and its terrible. But by pointing out one culture, you are adding the racism in America. As for THE BABY I THE STREET. I am so glad to hear they are investigating this further!

chigozie florence okoye May 20, 2010, 12:37 PM

it could happen to anyone. her children perhaps should have been in bed by that time, and maybe if she did not watch so much t.v. but played with the children instead of letting them watch t.v. unsupervised it would not have happened. but 2 years ago i was looking after my foster brother, he was nearly 3 and we all went to the zoo, he took a half minute window of opportunity to disappear, he had seen a bouncy castle just a few minutes earlier and had decided he was going to go there. we were near a lot of enclosures that could be climbed into to an extent, for primates, and he is a great climber. we were sh*ting ourselves with sheer panic as to where he was, in the end his 7 year old brother found him, because he was thinking along the same lines. children love to be free and explore, which is why they need to be in either very safe places or supervised closely.

Danielle May 20, 2010, 1:54 PM

THANK THE BUS DRIVER. HE COULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS A DOG, CAT WHATEVER AND NOT CARE TO STOP AND TAKE THE TIME TO HELP OUT. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TRAGIC. SO SAD. AGAIN REGARDLESS OF POINTED FINGERS, THANK GOODNESS FOR THE BUS DRIVER CARING ENOUGH TO STOP!! I FEEL FOR THE FAMILY.

My little girls snuck out, luckily I don’t live a busy street etc. overly cautious mom that I already am and am grateful I don’t have kid nappers as neighbors. SO scary!! It scared the crap out of me. I would die if this happened to me. My heart goes out to any parent who isn’t aware that it could happen to them.

Rita May 20, 2010, 6:40 PM

I apologize, I shouldn’t have singled out Hispanics. True, people in all races do take advantage of a system meant to help the truly needy, but where I live, Hispanics and Africa-Americans are the most prevelant in taking advantage of the system. I have rarely seen caucasians in the DHS office.

Michelle Kemper Brownlow May 20, 2010, 7:23 PM

Rita,
My son is caucasian and we adopted him through DHS…there are plenty of EVERY nationality in DHS….race has NOTHING to do with what kind of parent you are.

Rita May 21, 2010, 12:45 PM

The DHS office I’m referring to is the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, where a family goes to apply for food stamps, Medicaid or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).

Maybe race has nothing to do with what kind of parent one is, but around here, if something bad happens to a child, it’s usually a Hispanic family. Why? I don’t know. I think it’s because most young children in the poor sections of San Antonio are born to unwed teen parents who drop out of school and don’t have the means or education to seek a better lifestyle. Most of them don’t want to work and depend on taxpayers dollars for food stamps and medicaid and plan to stay on it as long as they can. Some of them do go to college or some form of vocational school so their children can have a better life then they did. I applaud those parents.

I’m not trying to be racial or anything here, this is what happens in San Antonio. It’s sad.

kpaige May 21, 2010, 7:53 PM

I undertsnad what you are saying rita, I lived in New Mexico and it was the same situation there. It’s always a different demographic in every state. It just depends on the population. Either way, its wrong.

Sabra May 22, 2010, 10:14 AM

No, this couldn’t have happened to anyone. Not unless “anyone” was very, very careless. Simply, you know, having your door closed or your screen door locked (both of which are REALLY good ideas in that part of town) would prevent an 8-month-old from crawling outside. It’s not as if this was a toddler with the ability to open locks and turn doorknobs, this was a baby.

Moreover, the children were removed by Child Protective Services (they have since been returned; however the state has retained legal custody) because of continued drug abuse and domestic violence within the house. Also things which aren’t exactly “there but for the grace of God go I” material.

Rita May 22, 2010, 2:56 PM

Sabra, thank you! She wasn’t watching her kids and had her 6 yr old and 4 yr old watching the 8 MONTH OLD while they watched TV, at midnight, in another room, while her and her “boyfriend” watched TV in a different room. Did I mention this was at midnight when all 3 children should have been asleep? Sounds pretty darn selfish and a whole lot of bad parenting to me. It would have taken the baby quite a few minutes to crawl out the door, down the porch, down the sidewalk, to the middle of the street and sit up. How long was she gone before the bus drove up? Plus there have been drug abuse and domestic violence in the house. CPS should have kept the kids and given them to a home where they will be loved and cared for. Lord knows there are plenty of those in the USA.

Chrissy May 22, 2010, 10:17 PM

“I thought I locked the screen door. But maybe I didn’t” “I couldn’t really tell you(what happen)”
Doesn’t sound like she’s even taking responibility for what happen.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:49 PM

That is nice to definitely find a site where the blogger knows what they are talking about.

sebzeli krep tarifi December 14, 2010, 12:35 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Foot Privacy Fence Prices December 18, 2010, 12:08 AM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

vergeturi December 27, 2010, 6:32 AM

I have been after the Web for such info and just wanted to thank you for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Thanks

dieta anului 2011 January 2, 2011, 7:21 AM

I was beeing after the Internet for such info and just wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

dieta anului 2011 January 4, 2011, 8:14 AM

I was beeing after the WWW for this information and just wanted to say thanks to you for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Regards