Top 20 Reasons Moms of Kids With Special Needs ROCK

Love That Max's Ellen S breaks it down:

woman superhero

1) Because we never thought that "doing it all" would mean doing this much. But we do do it all -- and then some.

2) Because we've discovered patience we never knew we had.

3) Because we are willing to do something 10 times, 100 times or 1,000 times if that's what it takes for our kids to learn something new.

4) Because we have heard doctors tell us the worst, and we've refused to believe them. Take THAT, naysaying doctors of the world!

5) Because we have bad days and breakdowns and bawl-fests, and then we pick ourselves up and keep right on going.

6) Because we gracefully handle the stares, the comments, the rude remarks. (Well, mostly gracefully.)

7) Because we manage to get ourselves together and get out the door looking pretty damn good. Heck, we even make sweatpants look good!

8) Because we are strong. Man, are we strong. Who knew we could be this strong?

9) Because we aren't just moms, wives, cooks, cleaners, chauffeurs and women who work. We are moms, wives, cooks, cleaners, chauffeurs, women who work, physical therapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, teachers, researchers, nurses, coaches and cheerleaders. Whew!

10) Because we work overtime every single day.

11) Because we also worry overtime, but we work it through. Or we eat chocolate or Pirate's Booty or gourmet cheese (which aren't reimbursable by insurance as mental-health necessities, but should be).

12) Because we are more selfless than other moms. Our kids need us more.

13) Because we give our kids with special needs endless love, and then we still have so much love left for our other kids, our husbands, our families. And our hairstylists, of course.

14) Because we inspire one another in this crazy blogosphere every single day.

15) Because we understand our kids better than anyone else -- even if they can't talk; even if they can't gesture; even if they can't look us in the eye. We know. We just know.

16) Because we never stop pushing for our kids.

17) Because we never stop hoping for them, either.

18) Because just when it seems like things are going OK, they're suddenly not OK, but we deal. Somehow, we always deal -- even when it seems like our heads or hearts might explode.

19) Because when we look at our kids, we just see great kids -- not kids with cerebral palsy/autism/Down syndrome/developmental delays/whatever.

20) Because ... well, you tell me.

Courtesy: Love That Max.

next: 'American Idols' Take On Sinatra
Julie K May 6, 2010, 8:35 AM

As a mom who has seen both sides, I find it patronizing and insulting to other moms to say we are more selfless than they are. All parents are selfless!

EHDCoyne May 6, 2010, 8:52 AM

…and because the sibling of our special needs child will grow to be an inclusive, caring and patient adult and that will make their world a better place for both of them.

Tiffany May 6, 2010, 11:04 AM

I have 2 special needs children with very different needs. my 4 1/2 yr old son is PDD awaiting a firm diagnosis on him & my 2 1/2 yr old daughter has Langerhans cell Histiocytosis & has been on chemo for 16 months! This list was spot on & made a laugh out loud I’ve became an autism/chemo/rare disease/medical terminology/ Expert thats why I ROCK!! & Because we are mommys thats why

KCR May 6, 2010, 11:16 AM

Our children chose us out of love. They chose wisely. They Rock too!

Kirsten May 6, 2010, 11:28 AM

…because we believe that anything is possible even when the evidence suggests otherwise.

Heather Laurie May 6, 2010, 11:59 AM

We rock to a special beat (loved that comment) because…
We can singing enthusiastically Dora’s “where are we going…to the OT’s house” a billion times
We can make a hospital room fun despite the anxiety we feel inside.

God bless you ladies keep it going!
Heather Laurie
www.specialneedshomeschooling.com

Joanna May 6, 2010, 1:37 PM

because we can go through denial only to come into acceptance with greater joy and hope in our lives than we would have ever thought possible!

Katie May 6, 2010, 3:18 PM

Because we define perseverance and grace!

AuMom May 6, 2010, 3:26 PM

Hey “Anon”. Shame on you for posting something that was clearly intended for nothing more than to hurt the feelings of these amazing selfless moms. We are mothers who are up against huge odds in this world to provide the best life possible for our very different and very special kids. It’s nice to read a list like this every once in a while to remind us why we work so hard. I’m sorry you felt the need to try and ruin it for us. How sad for you.

mommy May 6, 2010, 5:56 PM

Because we deal with so much crap, stitches are uneventful.

T.C May 6, 2010, 7:50 PM

I have lots of tears and am laughing out loud at each comment because I identify with each one

Lil Eric's Dad May 7, 2010, 1:58 AM

&

Every Mom on Here Does ROCK!! This Single Dad of an almost 7yr. son with autism SALUTES all Parents of children with special needs.(except Absent ones, that in 4yrs cant take 5mins to call, those kind DO NOT ROCK!)Keep up The Good Work Moms…;remember, consistency and follow through wen dealing with behaviors

Christie May 7, 2010, 6:45 AM

Because not even President Obama knows about hope and change like we do.

Mamatat May 7, 2010, 8:00 AM

#12…if I think I’m more selfless than other moms, special needs or not, it shows my selfISHness and sense of entitlement. I’m just a mom who loves the hand I was dealt, good, not-good or otherwise.

#20: We live in the moment so we can laugh.

Christie May 7, 2010, 8:16 AM

And everyone upset about the selfless comment, I think you are taking it out of context. It is not that we are more selfless, it is just that we may have to practice it more and it is something to be proud of. It is hardly fair to call us selfish, because anyone who has child or children with special needs and other children knows that there aren’t many oppurtunities to be selfish. If giving ourselves a pat on the back once in awhile is selfish then so be it. Im proud of my children both my special needs one and typical one. And I am inspired by all of the other moms and dads who have gone on this journey with me. Even the ones I have never met. I consider them family.

Leah Spring May 7, 2010, 12:07 PM

Because when we tell parents of typical kids that we have it better than them, they look at us like we have three heads. But really, we know what they’re missing, and they don’t have a clue!

Because some of us “get it” to the point that we’ll adopt more kids with special needs.

Because to us, “normal” means we don’t bat an eyelash at 5 or 6 doctor appointments in a week, plus all the house guests..I mean therapists…who come to work with our kid which means we have to keep the house clean enough for them to get through the door every day. That’s normal, right?

Sharyl May 7, 2010, 4:41 PM

Because nothing else that needs to be done today is as important as that child. It isn’t a choice, its our child.

Anon May 8, 2010, 6:14 AM

21. We are so stuck up and think we are better than moms who don’t have children with special needs simply because we do. Because moms who don’t have children with special needs are trouble-free and are living in a world where milk and honey flow instead of rivers. We also think we are more selfless (and the best thing about selflessness is boasting about it!!) and that we love our children more, as if love can be measured or compared.

EHDCoyne May 8, 2010, 2:08 PM

Because Anon, I know you, every nameless iteration of you. I recognize the silent scowl or sneer and have faced derision countless times. And I know, with an assurance that I can imagine seems somehow like boasting, that you are wrong about this family of mine. I do not judge you or your children or other peoples children, precisely because I know how terrible that feels. But your angry opinion will not keep me from heaping a little extra praise and applaud to these particular mothers … they truly do deserve honor today and every day.

Kari May 9, 2010, 5:45 AM

Because we laugh in the face of all the “anonymous” commenters in this world (many are done to our faces in the middle of grocery stores, doctor offices, and so on) and still come out strong. Because we realize we aren’t better than any other mother, but we realize we have to hold each other up, support each other, and give each other kudos because, unlike Moms without special needs kids, the world rarely does.