Toyota's 'Swagger Wagon' Rap Racist?

Think you've lost your cool because you covet a minivan? A new Toyota commercial is attempting to take away the "soccer mom" stigma with a video campaign that features parents rapping about all the mundane aspects of parenthood ... and their love for their Toyota 2011 Sienna minivan.

The campaign is a departure for Toyota (and from traditional advertising) -- so much so, in fact, that critics are labeling the ad racist.

Christine Huang, head of cultural trends at Globalhue, an ad agency specializing in campaigns that target minorities, complained that the ad is offensive. "White people acting, dancing and rapping like rap stars, mocking this culture that so contrasts their own. What a hilariously clever twist," said Huang.

What do you think?

next: Antonio Banderas OK with 13-Year-Old Daughter Dating
friend May 17, 2010, 4:05 PM

LMAO… this is freakin’ HILARIOUS! Seriously, I don’t see the racist aspect of this.

L U May 17, 2010, 4:13 PM

Racist? Nope. Sounds like some people just don’t want to share rap music!

L U May 17, 2010, 4:15 PM

Also, is that Vork from The Guild?

Don't get it May 17, 2010, 4:19 PM

I like it. It’s funny like a SNL sketch and cuts to the clutter. I don’t see the offensive part of it. Why multicultural “experts” always look ways to put themselves in a box?

Quadfther May 17, 2010, 4:48 PM

Very funny and sorta suspect as your Banner ad is for a GMC product.

momof4 May 17, 2010, 4:49 PM

Haha I want a swagger wagon! How is this racist? Because they are rapping? Isn’t it racist to think it’s racist? Jus sayin (I lol’ed when he threw all the tea party stuff off the table)

Tara May 17, 2010, 5:46 PM

LMAO, I think its awesome! I’m black and I don’t see why this is racist. People are just trying too hard and fishing for conflict.

Kirsten May 17, 2010, 5:50 PM

So, according to the expert, only black people are allowed to rap because it’s their culture? Now they tell us. Eminem better give all those awards back, and shame on everyone who thinks those SNL videos are funny.
Come on!

Anonymous May 17, 2010, 5:54 PM

It sucks because it’s rap.

debbie May 17, 2010, 7:29 PM

I really like I think it’s cute I don’t see anything racist about it.

xodus1914 May 17, 2010, 7:54 PM

Racist ?!? Are you kidding me? I’m Black, my Wife is Black, we got a 9 month old and a 5 year old, we live in suburbia and we are looking for a minivan RIGHT NOW!
What are we going to get?

A SWAGGER WAGON!!!!!

BELIEVE DAT!

Erick May 17, 2010, 8:07 PM

I like it, its funny and the instrumental is actually good. Its funny that Christine would call this racist when actually theres a subtle of racism in her own comment. Although rap music originated from black people and majority of rappers are black, rap is for everyone not exclusively black people.

Michelle May 17, 2010, 8:53 PM

VERY FUNNY! What makes it funny is that it is poking fun of white people and our notorious inability to be that cool! I agree that it is not offensive.

Rob G May 17, 2010, 9:25 PM

What’s racist is this Christine Huang’s belief that white people can’t rap without being racists. Did she even stop to think about what she was saying?

Lia May 17, 2010, 9:26 PM

Hilarious parody! I agree with poster Michelle. I don’t find it offensive and I’m usually the first person to point out questionable stuff.

Anonymous May 18, 2010, 3:52 AM

I love it!! I want a swagger wagan. I think it’s great and found nothing racial about it. I’m a 42 yr white mom who 14 yr loves rap music so that’s what we listen it in the car and I have to say now I know most of the songs my heart.

kbinva May 18, 2010, 4:33 AM

This is just a clever ad on the part of Toyota to utilize a popular segment of our society (hip hop and/or rap music) to sell one of their products. The fact that they use people not typically associated with this culture makes it that much more interesting and yes, entertaining. “Imitation” is indeed a sincere form of “flattery.”

Katie B. May 18, 2010, 6:03 AM

Racist? No. Just because they are white and are rapping does not on any level make this racist. People just like to knit-pick at things so that there is a problem. Why can’t white people rap? It’s racist to say that rap is only for African Americans, yet when white people do it, it is perfectly fine for everyone to say that it’s making fun of one minority. I love how white people can’t do ANYTHING without being racist.
I’m white, I’m a woman, I’m not racist. but if Christine Huang read this, she would probably consider me racist for not agreeing with her.

DadOf2 May 18, 2010, 6:11 AM

Racist? Was Vanilla Ice Racist? Not. True dat! :>)

dshortone68 May 18, 2010, 6:34 AM

I’m a 42 year old African American female and I do not see this as racist in any form, shape, or fashion. It is tastefully done and hilarious.