Why Babies Cry

There isn't a mother who likes to hear her newborn baby cry because he is uncomfortable. Your first reaction at the sound of your baby's cry is to try to soothe, calm, and comfort him right away. Unfortunately for some moms, uncontrollable crying can mean Baby Colic.

crying baby

How do you know if your baby is simply have an irritable and fussy baby or truly colicky? The general consensus seems to be the rule of three: intense crying for more than three hours a day for more than three days a week for more than three weeks a month most probably means colic. You'll notice that, if your baby is colicky, she will become extremely irritable and fussy toward the end of the day - though it can happen at any time.

For the most part, colicky babies are perfectly healthy, except that they cry intensely for long periods of time for no apparent reason. Infant colic typically strikes three weeks after birth and can disappear as quickly as it arrives - most commonly before your baby turns 3 to 4 months old; although some cases of colic can last up to six months. One of the most important things you need to know about baby colic is that it is not directly related to how you treat or nurture your baby. Having a colicky baby is not your fault, so there is no reason to feel guilty.

No one really knows what causes baby colic. A colicky baby requires more attention and is more sensitive to his surroundings, so be prepared to be patient. If you're able to, take turns with your spouse or get someone else to watch your baby for a while since colic can become very frustrating for any parent.

Here are a few ideas for things you can do to soothe your baby:

• Give her a warm bath.
  • Take him for a drive around the block. (My mother-in-law used to do this with my colicky husband. She says it was the only thing that calmed him down!)
  • Go for a neighborhood walk with baby in the stroller.
  • Gently rub your baby's tummy.
  • Rock her in a cradle.
  • Burp him often.

Other suggestions to comfort your colicky baby:

• A crying baby swallows a lot of air. This can lead to gas and increased irritability, so hold him upright to alleviate any gas pain.
  • Massage her back.
  • Try feeding your baby more often but in smaller portions each time. Also make sure to take your time and not to feed him too quickly.

These are just a few tips that may help but, again, remember that this is a just a phase she's going through. You'll just need to wait it out and do the best you can. I highly recommend that you take a break when you can so that you don't become overly frustrated. It's time to call the doctor if your baby stops gaining weight, runs a fever, or if his crying changes from being irritable to sounding like he's in severe pain.

Give it time. Do the best you can. This too will pass...

next: Sun Lovers Beware!
Danielle May 25, 2010, 5:32 AM

I had no problem with my babies BUT my toddlers make a lot of ruckus. MY advice is just plug in your MP3 player and listen to music while you are tending the fussy baby. It will allow you to tend to the baby calmly. Your welcome in advance :)

hypotheek August 8, 2010, 2:29 PM

Hoeveel kan ik lenen? (hypotheek). Wat worden mijn maandlasten? (hypotheek) … Hoeveel hypotheek heb ik nodig? Hoe hoog is de boete die ik nu zou moeten

hypotheek August 8, 2010, 3:36 PM

Bereken zelf uw hypotheek. Hypotheek berekenen? Maak snel een indicatieve berekening van het maximale leenbedrag van uw hypotheek.

Boy Baby Shower Invitations Paper December 15, 2010, 2:41 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

centura slabit December 27, 2010, 2:16 AM

I have beeing scouring the WWW for this information and just wanted to thank you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – Thank you

Wedding Ceremony Sample Script January 6, 2011, 2:17 PM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Reggie White Jersey January 7, 2011, 2:50 AM

I wanted to thank you for this totally view!! I most certainly enjoying every tiny bit of it.We have you bookmarked to examine out new stuff you write-up.

Air Max TN January 10, 2011, 10:38 AM

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each and every time a comment is added I get 4 emails using the exact same comment. Is there any way you are able to remove me from that service? Thanks!

Dewey Duerson January 21, 2011, 9:25 PM

Fantastic ideas, props to you for showing the initiative to write it down

Lilian Sulipizio January 22, 2011, 5:20 AM

Lovely post, props to you for having the initiave to come up with it

Gerald Bauske January 22, 2011, 2:29 PM

Lovely ideas, many thanks for making the effort to put your ideas down

Penny Stocks To Watch January 23, 2011, 7:00 PM

there are some intriguing points internally clause except i don’t know if i gaze each of them sight on point . over there is some validity only i desire catch ruling till i inspection into it further. trustworthy clause, thanks and we want more! added until feedburner besides.

Lamar Holstege February 3, 2011, 4:06 PM

What a post. Thanks a lot!

Shawanda Scroggins February 6, 2011, 10:23 AM

Who is the best lcd tv manufacturer? What is the price range for a good lcd tv? Any shopping advice?

diy ps3 repair February 10, 2011, 4:45 PM

I agree with everything you said there, keep up the good writing

check credit score February 11, 2011, 7:33 PM

Great article…

Backlinks February 13, 2011, 12:07 PM

I must have your layout tell me where you got it PLEEEAAAASSSEE!!

Rocco Eberline February 21, 2011, 8:49 AM

Considerably, this article is really the sweetest in this notable topic. I harmonise using your conclusions and went thirstily look forward To your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not only be sufficient, as the phenomenal clarity on your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed how to stay informed on any updates. Admirable work and much success on your business dealings!  Please excuse my poor English as it is not my first tongue.

Michel Binkley February 21, 2011, 7:17 PM

extra info? It is rather ideal for myself.

Only Girl Video February 22, 2011, 4:02 PM

I wanted to create you this little remark in order to say thanks as before with the spectacular views you’ve featured on this page. This has been certainly incredibly open-handed with people like you to convey without restraint all a number of us would’ve sold for an electronic book to generate some dough for their own end, precisely considering the fact that you could have tried it in case you decided. Those advice likewise acted to provide a great way to fully grasp other people have a similar passion the same as my own to understand a lot more on the topic of this matter. I think there are numerous more pleasant occasions up front for people who find out your site.