Why I Hate Cinco de Mayo

Christina Montoya Fielder: I just drove past one of our neighborhood bars. Plastered on their marquee was a notice for tonight's festivities: "Cinco de Drinko." Um, that's not even real Spanish, first of all. Second of all, why does celebrating the fifth of May mean getting wasted?

cinco de mayo

Therein lies my beef with the Cinco de Mayo holiday. Why does it have to be about drinking, and does anyone even know what the holiday is really all about?

First, let me tell you what it is NOT about: sombreros, fake mustaches (which I actually saw someone wearing this year), ponchosà la"Ugly Betty," tequila, mariachis or guacamole -- although corporate America would like you to believe that it is about those things. Given today's current events (ahem, Arizona), I won't even start on how so many people in this country could be ripe with anger over Mexican immigrants, yet still celebrate with the best of them this week.

Some might say I'm taking the fun out of one of our most beloved holidays, but really, I'm just a realist who's sick of the stereotypes associated with a day that most Mexicans don't even care about.

Cinco de Mayo marks the day that the Mexican army defeated French invaders at the Battle of Puebla. There are more than 28 million Mexican-Americans living in the United States today, but back in Mexico, people are not as keen on Cinco de Mayo. In fact, it is not as widely celebrated there as it is here in the States. Mexicans put more emphasis on September 16th, Mexican Independence Day.

In my younger days, of course, I used to partake in a good combination plate and a few margaritas on the fifth of May. But now that I have my son, I would rather that he not associate his heritage with a day that people take as an excuse to party. Sure, he can live it up with his friends someday, but I would be so proud if he were the one to tell everyone why and what they were celebrating.

I'm sure the same can be said for St. Patrick's Day, the Fourth of July or any other holiday celebrating some sort of nationalism. In fact, as I sipped a Guinness on St. Patty's Day one year, I felt unable to enjoy it because I had no idea what I was celebrating in the first place. (In case you're wondering, St. Patrick's Day commemorates St. Patrick's chasing the snakes out of Ireland.)

Am I being too sensitive? Maybe. But does Cinco de Mayo perpetuate stereotypes of a culture that's already under a lot of fire? Absolutely.

People will always find an excuse to overindulge. But if you're going to do it today, at least now you're informed.

next: 'Real Housewife' Alex McCord: Occasional Glass of Wine During Pregnancy No Biggie
Baju Macbeth March 24, 2011, 4:34 AM

I have got 1 idea for your web site. It seems like there are a handful of cascading stylesheet problems while launching a number of webpages within google chrome and internet explorer. It is working fine in internet explorer. Possibly you can double check that.

Nike Air Max Skyline March 24, 2011, 6:13 PM

Hands down to run out of methods that obviously function, perception again!

Cristobal Huet Jersey March 25, 2011, 5:12 PM

Fitting saying thanks ordain not reasonable be reasonably, for the wonderful clarity in your writing.

do follow list seo March 29, 2011, 2:31 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Tim C. McGuire March 29, 2011, 6:25 PM

Interesting

c trumpet March 30, 2011, 3:03 AM

Just to let you know your website looks a little bit strange in Firefox on my notebook with Linux .

Giuseppe Barlup March 30, 2011, 7:36 AM

I just wanted to send a small message in order to express gratitude to you for some of the great guidelines you are placing at this website. My extended internet investigation has at the end been rewarded with sensible knowledge to exchange with my friends. I ‘d admit that most of us visitors actually are very fortunate to dwell in a fine place with so many perfect people with very beneficial guidelines. I feel pretty blessed to have discovered your entire web pages and look forward to so many more excellent minutes reading here. Thanks again for all the details.

Emily '. O'Neill March 31, 2011, 2:59 AM

Beneficial

click March 31, 2011, 3:02 AM

Is it fine to put part of this on my site if I submit a reference to this website?

Brooks Orpik Jersey March 31, 2011, 10:54 AM

Hello may I exemplify some of the perception from this post if I cater a link subvene to your site?

Filmy erotyczne March 31, 2011, 3:56 PM

I like it, very. I am very positively and pleasantly surprised. Have a nice day and all the best.

Wholesale Versace Handbags April 1, 2011, 10:05 AM

It’s good to buy an essay there this unspoilt topic. Likeable article, very much helpful

Air Jordan 9 April 1, 2011, 11:16 PM

Fitting saying thanks will not just be satisfactorily, in behalf of the wonderful clarity in your writing.

sex April 2, 2011, 10:39 PM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

Air Max 93 April 3, 2011, 7:41 AM

With all the fluff floating about on the grid-work, it is a top change of pace to impute to a site like yours instead.

erotizm April 3, 2011, 3:50 PM

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

Sex Galerie April 4, 2011, 10:01 AM

Thank you very much, in the end, after all days and even weeks of searching, I found something interesting. Yours!!

E Cigs April 5, 2011, 5:12 AM

Just to let you know your web site looks a little bit strange on Safari on my netbook with Linux .

Jim O. Moss April 5, 2011, 6:58 AM

Hi there, - spotted this website unintentionally whilst drifting across the net this afternoon, and happy that i did! I do like the style and design and colorings, but I really should mention that I’m having difficulty when it loads. I’m making use of Lynxlet 7.1 internet browser for mac, and the footer would not lineup nicely. i’m pretty sure I have used precisely the same design on a customer’s online site, but the menu seems O.k on mine. I imagine the fault is at my end and perhaps it’s about time to switch!

Flea and Tick Control for Dogs April 5, 2011, 11:25 PM

Im getting a javascript error, is anyone else?