Wives Who Sue Mistresses: Is This OK?

NBA star Dwyane Wade's estranged wife is suing his girlfriend, actress Gabrielle Union, and claims that their relationship is causing their two sons emotional distress.

David Boreanaz, Dwyane Wade

The lawsuit alleges that Union engaged in sexual foreplay in front of the boys, which "severely inflicted the Plaintiffs emotionally and mentally."

"Defendant has played sexually explicit roles, including roles as a seductress," the lawsuit reads. "Defendant has apparently decided to take her role beyond the films and into the home of a married man, Dwyane Wade, in the presence of his two minor children."

Siohvaughn Wade is seeking $50,000 in damages.

But she's not the only one who wants to take her hubby's mistress to court: David Boreanaz's wife is reportedly considering filing a lawsuit against his ex-mistress, too. Boreanaz confessed to the affair on May 3rd, and says that the ex-mistress is trying to extort money from him. RadarOnline has reported that Boreanaz's wife is already considering taking the mistress to court.

The queen of all mistress-suers, Cynthia Shackelford, sued her husband's mistress, Anne Lundquist, for ruining her marriage, claiming alienation of affection and intentionally or recklessly causing severe emotional distress. She was awarded nine million dollars. Yes, NINE MILLION.

Attorney Robin Sax says, "These types of suits are called 'alienation of affection.' While [most] laws have abolished them, seven [states] still have the law on the books: Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota and Utah. Supporters of the laws say the threat of such legal action helps protect the sanctity of marriage. But in reality, they do not protect the sanctity of marriage -- and don't help the odds of amicable divorce. These cases result in already-contentious divorces getting even more heated. Then add the public airing of the dirty laundry -- the personal shortcomings and wild tales of infidelity. That does little to benefit anyone -- especially the kids who have to live through it."

Psychologist Wendy Walsh doesn't think that suing the mistress is a good idea, either. She says, "When women sue and attack other women -- no matter the transgression -- we are living out a damaging double standard. Before the sexual revolution, the double standard said that men gained points for sexual experience and women lost points (and their reputations) for their own sexual behavior.

"In the new post-feminist world, where everyone seems to fairly own their own orgasm, the new double standard implies that men cannot help themselves for their bad behavior and women can -- and should -- stop men," she continues. "While I think that many, many women have taken sexual equality a bit too far and are acting EXACTLY like the worst form of promiscuous man, I also think that men should be forced to act a little more like ladies and show some restraint. A mistress is never the cause of a divorce. She is but a symptom of the problem. And the problems include a lack of relationship skills within marriages, a lack of intellectual commitment to monogamy and a sexualized media that glorifies infidelity."

Not everyone agrees. Most moms we spoke with said that if someone went after their man and threatened their family, they'd sue them without a second thought. What about you?

next: 'My Kid Got Lyme Disease'
laser hair removal October 2, 2010, 1:39 PM

Great read! However, I had difficulty viewing this article in Safari 5. Just wanted to bring that to your attention! Best regards.

Vista Themes October 18, 2010, 10:41 AM

Just killing some time on Stumbleupon and I found your article . Not normally what I prefer to learn about, but it was definitely worth my time. Thanks.

LaTiTi November 1, 2010, 1:12 AM

Wrong. Just because a man OR woman decides to cheat, does NOT mean there are problems in a marriage. In fact, that only shows a problem within the cheater. MANY cheaters are with GOOD, FAITHFUL partners, however they have a form of self-destruction going on. When it comes to being able to sue, I say YES! Why not encourage more consequences for cheaters? However, I do also feel that the GREATER blame falls on the partner. I am sad that there aren’t harsher punishments for adultery, - it almost seems as if it isn’t a real crime, which is why so many who are hurt by being cheated on are seemingly forced to “take matters into their own emotional hands” to find justice and closure. Shame.

Highlight Colors For Dark Brown Hair November 25, 2010, 12:55 AM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 4:01 PM

Fine reading. Thank you, looking forward to your feed updates…

Unique Gift Wrapping Ideas For Men December 10, 2010, 11:20 PM

Pay no attention to what the critics say… Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!

Free Self Esteem Worksheets For Children December 11, 2010, 1:38 AM

Off Road Roof Racks December 18, 2010, 12:52 AM

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

Birthday Cakes For Kids December 18, 2010, 1:49 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

imc December 27, 2010, 4:23 AM

I have been trying to find the google for this info and i wanted to say thanks to you for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Harry Hyatt December 29, 2010, 5:03 AM

You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most guys will consent with your site.

dieta anului 2011 January 3, 2011, 10:50 PM

I was beeing searching the Internet for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 10:49 AM

Great article. Good to read. I just have one point to give about funny shirts.

strawberry blonde hair extensions January 15, 2011, 1:39 AM

steel prices 2011 uk January 22, 2011, 12:14 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

Elton Stansbury February 6, 2011, 8:00 AM

Awsome website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also

zespoły weselne February 19, 2011, 2:12 AM

Say what you want for me it’s interesting

Immobilier Bretagne March 6, 2011, 3:54 PM

Can I simply say what a reduction to search out someone who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how you can carry a problem to light and make it important. Extra people have to learn this and understand this aspect of the story. I cant believe youre no more widespread because you undoubtedly have the gift.

dofollow bookmarking sites March 29, 2011, 12:55 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Clemmie Cracchiolo March 29, 2011, 5:19 PM

Well I sincerely liked studying it. This information procured by you is very helpful for proper planning.