momlogic's Julie: My husband is a stay-at-home dad. As Father's Day approaches, I'd like to count the many ways he rules ....
1) He is a man in a woman's world. Jay is one of the few stay-at-home dads in our community. Many times, he has felt isolated and left out of the "mommy" groups. Still, he has soldiered on and made good relationships with some of the mothers in our area.
2) He volunteers in the classroom every week. Week in, week out, Jay volunteers in my kids' classrooms. He is one of the few dads to do so. I am so proud of him for this.
3) He keeps our household running smoothly. Jay does all the cooking, most of the cleaning, the laundry and helps the kids with their homework every day. If he did not do everything he does, our house would fall apart.
4) He has an amazing relationship with our kids. Jay plays with our kids for hours after school. He takes them to baseball, hip-hop and all of their other activities without a complaint. The bond they have is incredible.
5) Jay takes his job VERY seriously. He never parks the kids in front of the TV (like I might be tempted to do). He serves them only healthy and organic meals. He never takes the easy way out. He is a better stay-at-home parent than I could ever be, and I am so lucky to call him my husband.
Even in 2010, people don't always understand stay-at-home dads and sometimes question our situation because it's not the "norm." But it is OUR normal, and we wouldn't have it any other way.
To all the stay-at-home dads out there, I salute you!