5 Reasons Stay-at-Home Dads Rule

momlogic's Julie: My husband is a stay-at-home dad. As Father's Day approaches, I'd like to count the many ways he rules ....

superman stay at home dad

1) He is a man in a woman's world. Jay is one of the few stay-at-home dads in our community. Many times, he has felt isolated and left out of the "mommy" groups. Still, he has soldiered on and made good relationships with some of the mothers in our area.

2) He volunteers in the classroom every week. Week in, week out, Jay volunteers in my kids' classrooms. He is one of the few dads to do so. I am so proud of him for this.

3) He keeps our household running smoothly. Jay does all the cooking, most of the cleaning, the laundry and helps the kids with their homework every day. If he did not do everything he does, our house would fall apart.

4) He has an amazing relationship with our kids. Jay plays with our kids for hours after school. He takes them to baseball, hip-hop and all of their other activities without a complaint. The bond they have is incredible.

5) Jay takes his job VERY seriously. He never parks the kids in front of the TV (like I might be tempted to do). He serves them only healthy and organic meals. He never takes the easy way out. He is a better stay-at-home parent than I could ever be, and I am so lucky to call him my husband.

Even in 2010, people don't always understand stay-at-home dads and sometimes question our situation because it's not the "norm." But it is OUR normal, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

To all the stay-at-home dads out there, I salute you!

next: Woman Jumped Out of Runaway Car
Anonymous June 14, 2010, 1:47 PM

Stay-at-home dads are great and your husband sounds amazing. I just wish that it would be okay for my husband to say “stay-at-home moms rule” without upsetting working moms. When will we all be able to be proud of what we do?

Mariah June 14, 2010, 2:38 PM

We may be swapping roles in our household soon. We haven’t hammered out the details but hubby may be a brand new Stay At Home Dad. I’m not sure yet if he’ll take it as serious as the dad in this article, but I know they’ll be in great hands.

To Anonymous: Stay At Home moms DO rule, regardless! Rock on SAHM’s!

Old Skool June 17, 2010, 6:01 AM

I would have a hard time respecting my husband being a SAHD. I think men should be the breadwinners of the family. It’s not natural for women to take on the provider role. We will eventually come to resent it. Men like to be “Supermen” and we should let them. This swapping of gender roles is one reason society is so mixed up now and a lot of males are not men. God wired men and women differently for a reason. Us trying to redesign His work won’t work in the long run.

dakine05 June 21, 2010, 1:09 AM

“Old School” you do realize that being a provider for the family goes way beyond the financial aspect don’t you? It’s women like you who shine a bad light on SAHD’s such as myself and I absolutely take offense to it.

I am a REALTOR and I work out of the home. My wife (also a fabulous mother) has wanted for as long as she could remember to have both a career and a family. Well guess what this is what works best for our family at the moment.

I applaud this post because it isn’t often that men get the praise for actually being in their kids lives. Understanding what makes them tick. Understanding what they fear.
Understanding those solutions for easing the sadness when they fall down or have a bad dream.

The issues this world has with men not being men has NOTHING to do with men being the stay at home parent. Normally men not being men has to do with a poor job of parenting (NOT ONLY THE MONEY ASPECT). It’s this lovely stereotype that paints all SAHD’s with this same brush which is insulting.

So guess what, show me ANY male that —-1. will sacrifice his own career for his wifes.
2. change a dirty diaper
3. get up in the middle of the night to feed or comfort your child when they have a bad dream
4. make sure the home is cleaned and dinner is ready
5. do the laundry, mow and maintain the outside of your home.
6. fix and repair broken aspects of your house, all while being constantly put down by June Cleaver carbon copies such as yourself, because they think that the woman is the only one who can have a positive impact day in and day out with their child. There’s you a definition of a real man. One who isn’t selfish and will do ANYTHING in order to help out his family even if that means going out of the norm as you would call it.

And by the way I am currently writing this at 3 am because I couldn’t go back to sleep after comforting my 18 month old daughter (who isn’t feeling good) back to sleep. Oh but wait I guess that isn’t something a real man would do is it?

dakine05 June 21, 2010, 1:15 AM

The issues this world has with men not being men has NOTHING to do with men being the stay at home parent. It’s this lovely stereotype that paints men with this same brush.

2. change a dirty diaper
4. make sure the home is cleaned and dinner is ready
5. do the laundry, mow and maintain the outside of your home.

Also I am currently writing this at 3 am after I couldn’t go back to sleep after comforting my 18 month old daughter who isn’t feeling good back to sleep. But I guess a real man wouldn’t be up doing that now would they.

dakine05 June 21, 2010, 1:17 AM

My mistake… Old Skool. Didn’t realize it wasn’t spelled properly.

Vista Screensavers October 18, 2010, 2:31 PM

Thanks for sharing this helpful info!

Kerry Tiehen October 25, 2010, 5:55 AM

I was just reading through this page it’s very well crafted, I am searching on the net searching for the correct way to start this blog site thing and your website is almost certainly very impressive.

Clarence Baligod October 26, 2010, 1:05 PM

My brother and I were just debating this particular very topic, he’s frequently looking to prove me completely wrong. Your view on this is excellent and just how I feel. I recently emailed my brother this page to show him your current perspective. After looking over your blog I added and will be coming back to read your updates!

Rea Donze October 27, 2010, 11:59 AM

My brother and I were just debating your very topic, he is normally endeavouring to prove me wrong. Your own view on this is excellent and just how I truly feel. I just sent my brother this site to show him your current perspective. Immediately after looking over your weblog I book marked and will be returning to read your updates!

Georgianne Cusworth November 5, 2010, 7:44 AM

extremely useful tips. I should have read this post some years back. Any how will share this post with my children now and hope they make the best out of it.

Garth Tibolla November 13, 2010, 2:54 PM

After reading a few of your articles or blog posts I must say i found this specific one to generally be very good. I have a blog as well and would like to repost a number of snips of your articles in my personal blog website. Would it be alright if I do this as long I personal reference your webblog or generate a back link to the article I procured the snip from? Otherwise I recognize and would not do it without having your endorsement . I have book marked this particular article to twitter and also facebook account intended for reference. Regardless appreciate it either way!

Ferdinand Ethridge November 17, 2010, 9:57 PM

All round I believe this can be anything to think about nevertheless it may very well just be just a little little bit of base. In my nation we need to honer excellent copy writers and I’m adoring your publish as I do believe it’s tremendously wonderful.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:35 PM

Just wanted to say that you have some awesome content on your blog. If it’s allowed I would like to use some of the information you provided on my blog. If I link back to this page would it be OK to do so?

Football medals December 2, 2010, 5:20 PM

When are you going to post again? You really inform a lot of people!

brahmin handbag December 3, 2010, 9:03 AM

My buddy instructed which i come and browse at this posting, nancy actually do a school undertaking on the subject. Were did you get your own oringal info about this or did an individual make it up?

us cellular motorola phone December 8, 2010, 6:51 PM

How did you make a blog site look this cool! Email me if you get the chance and share your wisdom. I’d be thankful!

tropical indoor plants December 10, 2010, 11:01 AM

Great comment should, you’d put all his time and effort engrossed I can tell! Your general web-site is incredibly very good additionally. How many years did the application take someone to build up this site close to where exactly it’s presently?

Jae Kaul December 16, 2010, 4:30 PM

Reading some of your posts genuinely discovered this specific 1 to be remarkable. I have a web site also and pick repost numerous snips of your articles on my personal blog. Would it be ok if I do this as lengthy I personal reference your webblog or create a 1 way link towards the article I procured the snip from? If not I am conscious of and could not do it without your agreement . I have book marked this specific post to twitter in addition to bebo accounts for reference. Nevertheless lots of either way!

car buying December 24, 2010, 1:58 PM

Can you message me with a few pointers on how you made your blog site look like this , I would appreciate it!