5 Ways to Keep Your Kid Alive Past Age 5

Momlogic's Momstrosity: I see a pattern -- and it's breaking my heart. Each day when I read the news, I can't help but notice the same horrific stories, with the same circumstances that result in the death of a child. For this reason, I believe that these tragedies can be avoided. Just follow these rules.

5 Ways to Keep Your Kid Alive Past Age 5

Rule #1: Use Anti-Tip Furniture Strap

Between 2000 and 2006, there were at least 180 deaths related to tipped-over furniture, televisions or appliances, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates.

Related article: Falling TV Kills 3-Year-Old Girl

Rule #2: NEVER Leave a Child in the Car Alone

To date there have been nine deaths in 2010 of children due to hypothermia from being in hot vehicles. Since 1998 there have been at least a total of 454 of these needless tragedies.This study shows that these incidents can occur on days with relatively mild (i.e., ~ 70 degrees F) temperatures and that vehicles can reach life-threatening temperatures very rapidly.

Related article: 3 Kids Die This Week in Hot Cars

Rule #3: If You Have a Pool Install Safety Gates

From 2005 to 2007, there were an average of 283 fatal drownings for children 5 and under per year. An additional 2,100 were treated in the emergency room for submersion related injuries.

Rule #4: Never Leave Your Child Unattended with a Dog

The CDC estimates that almost 5 million people a year are bitten by dogs in the United States, with as many as 800,000 people, more than half of them children, requiring medical attention for their dog bites. Many of these cases are fatal, or leave kids disfigured for life.

According to Petsdo.com of the most dangerous dog breeds include: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds.

Rule #5: Cut of "Chokable" Foods into Small Pieces

The American Academy of Pediatrics says children younger than 4 years should not be given the following foods unless they are completelychopped up:

*Hot dogs
*Grapes
*Hard candy
*Popcorn
*Raisins
*Raw carrots
*Spoonfuls of peanut butter
*Chunks of meat

Don't give kids under 5 sunflower or pumpkin seeds to eat.

Related article: Doctors Call for Choke-Free Hot Dog

next: Kyron Horman: Why Haven't the Parents Spoken Out?
Elle June 11, 2010, 5:57 AM

Great post. Many of this tips should be obvious, but I guess they aren’t. http://cleverlychanging.com

Jilly June 11, 2010, 6:54 AM

While I am in favor of all the safety guards….generations before ours did not have these things, so, what to do? How about being attentive, watching your children and not trying to engage in so many other things, many of them selfish activities. I try(I am not perfect) to maintain a level of watchfulness that ensures my child is not engaging in dangerous behaviors. I feel that with so many “safety” features on our home, we have become less watchful and more comfortable with our surroundings. Let me tell you a story….As a first time mother, I was going through the house covering all sockets so little one could not hurt himself. Outlets covered, problem solved! So comfy did I get, I never thought to STILL warn my child against why you should never play with or insert items into outlets…they were covered for goodness sake! Flash forward to a six year boy, hanging out at our rental condo with me while I was prepping it for rental….he grabs my keys off the counter, walks around the corner and seconds later says, “Hey, Mommy come look!” I walk over to discover my key jammed in an outlet!! I almost had a heart attack and started freaking out! It was then realized, I had never had a talk with him about this! How dumb did I feel, how complacent I had gotten, thinking I was safe? I can tell you this, I started paying more attention! Again, I am not against these safety features, I just want to warn against complacency in the face of them….we still have to be vigilant and watchful! Before you even realize, they will have figured out that latch or hook or gate and off they go….these things aren’t foolproof, ya know! xo

Sara June 11, 2010, 8:35 AM

You forgot carseats. Car accidents are the number one cause of death in kids under 18.

Sophia June 11, 2010, 12:26 PM

Nicely said Jill!

Nguyet Hickam February 11, 2011, 4:20 AM

Well I really enjoyed studying it. This post procured by you is very constructive for good planning.

Rosalinda Rikard February 20, 2011, 9:33 PM

Great site! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am bookmarking your feeds also

Potenzmittel February 26, 2011, 5:10 AM

I’ll publish a hyperlink to this web page on my personal website.

Lavenia Nakamori February 26, 2011, 9:13 AM

It’s rare to find an experienced person in whom you can have some confidence. In the world at present, nobody genuinely cares about showing others exactly how in this subjecttopic. How fortuitous I am to have actually found a real wonderful site as this. It is really people like you that make a true difference currently through the thoughts they write about.

szkoła policealna warszawa za darmo February 26, 2011, 10:51 AM

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

praca February 26, 2011, 4:06 PM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great website.

Daniele Hemme February 26, 2011, 10:51 PM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have take note your stuff prior to and you are just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have bought here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which through which you assert it. You’re making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.

piłka nożna February 27, 2011, 10:49 AM

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

hearing loss February 28, 2011, 8:52 AM

There is visibly a bundle to realize about this. I suppose you made certain nice points in features also.

program tv February 28, 2011, 3:44 PM

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I’m quite sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

StarCraft 2 Guide February 28, 2011, 7:57 PM

This is absolutely gold. I did not expect that I’d get so much out of reading your write up! You’ve just got yourself a returning visitor :)

neurosensory hearing loss February 28, 2011, 11:37 PM

I cling on to listening to the news lecture about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

tongkat ali extract March 1, 2011, 6:13 AM

I like this article a lot. I’ll certainly be back. Hope that I will be able to examine a lot more helpful posts then. Is going to be sharing your wisdom with all of my associates!

plano texas air conditioning repair March 3, 2011, 12:43 AM

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

womens fitness March 3, 2011, 11:52 AM

Have bookmarked this post, thanks considerably!

Glenn Rapko March 3, 2011, 6:00 PM

interesting topic - I think a lot of people here would share the same opinion as you.