8-Year-Old Removed From Class For Using Olive Oil Hair Product

olive oil hair care

Hip Hop Wired: The NAACP is filing a complaint against a Washington State elementary school after an 8-year-old girl was kicked out of class because her teacher complained about the smell of her hair.

Charles Mudede, a writer for Seattle's The Stranger, says his daughter was moved to the hallway at Thurgood Marshall Elementary school before ultimately being forced to switch classrooms because she used Organic Root Stimulator in her hair.

Mudede's daughter was the only Black student in her accelerated learning class but was moved down to a lower class with other Blacks after her white teacher complained about the way her hair smelled.

The NAACP has stepped in and is announcing plans to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education.

Full story: Hip Hop Wired:

Read more stories in the news.

next: Americans Sleepier Than Europeans
Christina June 8, 2010, 1:35 PM

What smell? I use tcb olive oil products on my kids’ hair (they are part AA) and mine (I’m not) to keep our curls healthy. The olive oil products I’ve used, frankly, have a lot less odor to them than your average Suave conditioner.

Christina June 8, 2010, 1:36 PM

Micaela  June 8, 2010, 2:32 PM

Huh? I have smelt worse, & that is unbelievable. Who is this teacher? The one on Everybody Hates Chris? I use this same product on my dd sometimes & it isn’t bad, & even if I did not like the smell, it does not give this teacher the right to kick the kid out.

Micaela  June 8, 2010, 2:32 PM

Just Sayin' June 8, 2010, 4:04 PM

Anyone notice the product she is complaining about is a sponsor/ad on the Mom Logic site? :)

Christina June 8, 2010, 5:58 PM

Hey, Just Sayin’, notice Amex, Elizabeth Arden, Ellen DeGeneres and a ton of other people/products also sponsor/ad on the Mom Logic site? So, what, exactly, are you trying to “just say”? Just askin’…