A Wild Walk in the Park

Lenore Moritz: The following paragraph should be read in your best Rod Sterling voice (he's the guy who introduced each episode of "The Twilight Zone"):

Kids playing on the slide

A quiet playground. A gorgeous spring day. A few kids under age 5 frolicking in the sun. Over the hill, a low rumbling sound wafts toward the baby swings. Parents look to the sky to see if it's thunder; a blue sky indicates that impossibility. The first sight of one of them is sweet: a face with a big smile from the euphoria of being free for a few minutes. Then, like a stampede, the rumble gets louder as the next 30 kids follow quickly on the heels of the first one, kicking up dry dirt as their running feet hit the play area. Suddenly, the recently mellow swings are being tugged and used in ways not intended, and taunts replace the calm. You have entered the Twilight Zone ... otherwise known as the world according to second graders.

That's how it was a few weeks ago at the playground across from the elementary school. The school has its own playground, but on this day the kids spilled over to the public park. I was there. It gave me some fascinating insight into what really happens when a pack of second-grade schoolmates do recess.

We parents don't often get the chance to see our kids in action during the school day, and now I know why: It's scary. It's "Lord of the Flies" meets "Mean Girls."

To my left were a group of girls and one boy playing house. The "parents" and "kids" were being ordered around by one very bossy 8-year-old. She demanded that the boy play the girl of the family, despite his pleas to play the boy. After a few more minutes of his begging, she caved. Then she flitted around, barking more commands to her "family" about what they could or couldn't say and do. She'll either grow up to be one hellacious boss, or move to a small, unorganized nation and take over as dictator.

In front of me, the dynamic of four boys went like this: unfriendly to each other, then nice, then wrestling, then three ganging up on one ... all in less than two minutes. When the teasing and headlocking of one boy seemed to be too much (for me, at least), I told him that didn't seem to be the right way to treat someone. The headlocker stopped and released. The headlockee took off, only to come back again a minute later for more. I really wanted to tell headlockee that there are better ways to get and keep friends, but at this point the teacher finally noticed what was going on and broke up the mayhem.

Towards the end of recess, one girl shoved her index finger in the face of a classmate and screamed, kind of accusingly, "Why do you wear glasses?!" The startled but unflappable eyeglasses-wearer replied frankly, "Because I need them." I wanted to coach her to add, "And because they make me look smarter than you," but I was too caught up in wondering why, with only four days left of the school year, the finger-pointing girl was just now noticing that her classmate wore glasses.

The most amazing thing happened when the teacher called them to line up to go back into the school: They did. These 8-year-olds went from being lawless to orderly in the blink of an eye. There was the mirror: the juxtaposition of our feral side (which we tend to suppress as adults) and our well-behaved side. Perhaps we'd all be better off if we had a little recess in our day ... and the resilience of a second grader.

next: 20 Impressive and Beloved Baby Shower Themes
kristen June 23, 2010, 8:22 AM

This article is just sad to me. We shouldn’t be locking up our young. I don’t know of any other time in the world that you are STUCK in a room with all the same aged kids.

Anonymous June 23, 2010, 10:18 AM

As a second grade teacher I have to say that recess is always semi-torturous for me. I see scenes like that (and more)on a regular basis. I’m constantly reinforcing proper recess behavior but it often falls on deaf ears. I could do without recess but it is what they look forward to the most. Go figure. So the torture continues.

Janita Mendieta February 11, 2011, 3:48 AM

I carry on listening to the news bulletin talk about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some?

Tiana Ingrim February 20, 2011, 7:41 PM

Awsome post and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you guys have any ideea where to get some professional writers? Thanks :)

tokyo wives February 25, 2011, 3:12 PM

Mate. This website is awesome. How do you make it look like this ?

praca February 26, 2011, 3:12 PM

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

Carmine Dejoie February 27, 2011, 4:57 AM

Extermely informative post right here. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me. I will certainly be back again.

Wilburn Tongue February 28, 2011, 7:04 AM

Cheers for taking the time to keep this little corner on the internet up-to-date, I run a website personally and its hard work to find enough time and keep it going!

Potenzprobleme February 28, 2011, 7:08 AM

It has been interesting but how do I bookmark this particular?

buty February 28, 2011, 1:23 PM

Super story it is definitely. We have been waiting for this information.

program tv February 28, 2011, 2:42 PM

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

guitar tutorials February 28, 2011, 3:20 PM

I love this article a lot. I will definitely be back. Hope that I will be able to examine more insightful posts then. Will probably be sharing your knowledge with all of my friends!

StarCraft 2 Guide February 28, 2011, 7:51 PM

I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I have to say, I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!

piłka nożna March 1, 2011, 12:35 AM

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

Aquarium March 3, 2011, 7:46 AM

I’m also interested in affilate as well as search engine marketing.

mens health March 3, 2011, 11:45 AM

Did you develop the design for this webpage on your own? It’s proper attractive!

San Diego Web Design March 3, 2011, 10:50 PM

Jesus Christ there is a great deal of spammy comments on this web site. Have you at any time thought about trying to get rid of them or putting in a plugin?

Nidia Lafaver March 4, 2011, 11:45 AM

I am not so bright to be enterprising to evoke genius stuff like you do but I am trying to pay it back so hoepfully this will prompt you a smile or make you chortle or at the very least give you a thought for the day? : If the cops arrest a mime do they tell him that he has the right to remain silent?

Mauricio Hinderliter March 5, 2011, 9:40 AM

Very useful post right here. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I will certainly be back.

vigrx March 6, 2011, 3:54 AM

Wow, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and actual effort to make a good post… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never appear to get something done.