A Wild Walk in the Park

Lenore Moritz: The following paragraph should be read in your best Rod Sterling voice (he's the guy who introduced each episode of "The Twilight Zone"):

Kids playing on the slide

A quiet playground. A gorgeous spring day. A few kids under age 5 frolicking in the sun. Over the hill, a low rumbling sound wafts toward the baby swings. Parents look to the sky to see if it's thunder; a blue sky indicates that impossibility. The first sight of one of them is sweet: a face with a big smile from the euphoria of being free for a few minutes. Then, like a stampede, the rumble gets louder as the next 30 kids follow quickly on the heels of the first one, kicking up dry dirt as their running feet hit the play area. Suddenly, the recently mellow swings are being tugged and used in ways not intended, and taunts replace the calm. You have entered the Twilight Zone ... otherwise known as the world according to second graders.

That's how it was a few weeks ago at the playground across from the elementary school. The school has its own playground, but on this day the kids spilled over to the public park. I was there. It gave me some fascinating insight into what really happens when a pack of second-grade schoolmates do recess.

We parents don't often get the chance to see our kids in action during the school day, and now I know why: It's scary. It's "Lord of the Flies" meets "Mean Girls."

To my left were a group of girls and one boy playing house. The "parents" and "kids" were being ordered around by one very bossy 8-year-old. She demanded that the boy play the girl of the family, despite his pleas to play the boy. After a few more minutes of his begging, she caved. Then she flitted around, barking more commands to her "family" about what they could or couldn't say and do. She'll either grow up to be one hellacious boss, or move to a small, unorganized nation and take over as dictator.

In front of me, the dynamic of four boys went like this: unfriendly to each other, then nice, then wrestling, then three ganging up on one ... all in less than two minutes. When the teasing and headlocking of one boy seemed to be too much (for me, at least), I told him that didn't seem to be the right way to treat someone. The headlocker stopped and released. The headlockee took off, only to come back again a minute later for more. I really wanted to tell headlockee that there are better ways to get and keep friends, but at this point the teacher finally noticed what was going on and broke up the mayhem.

Towards the end of recess, one girl shoved her index finger in the face of a classmate and screamed, kind of accusingly, "Why do you wear glasses?!" The startled but unflappable eyeglasses-wearer replied frankly, "Because I need them." I wanted to coach her to add, "And because they make me look smarter than you," but I was too caught up in wondering why, with only four days left of the school year, the finger-pointing girl was just now noticing that her classmate wore glasses.

The most amazing thing happened when the teacher called them to line up to go back into the school: They did. These 8-year-olds went from being lawless to orderly in the blink of an eye. There was the mirror: the juxtaposition of our feral side (which we tend to suppress as adults) and our well-behaved side. Perhaps we'd all be better off if we had a little recess in our day ... and the resilience of a second grader.

next: 20 Impressive and Beloved Baby Shower Themes
best dental insurane March 23, 2011, 10:07 AM

As many others, this is my first moment commenting here. I indead adore this site and see it quite often.

debt assistance get March 23, 2011, 2:46 PM

Can I simply say what a aid to find someone who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely know how one can deliver a difficulty to mild and make it important. Extra individuals need to learn this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more well-liked because you positively have the gift.

expert credit March 23, 2011, 3:05 PM

I belive your post on that new site sound very true for all. Very good articulated. I see forward to reading more here.

Benz Forums March 23, 2011, 6:57 PM

@ Newman I know what your mean. In the current economy its hard to find a career that pays good and is stable . I have discovered that if you just work hard and are consistent you can succeed. Look at the writer of this article, they are oviously a hard worker and have just been consistent over time and are now enjoying at least what would appear as somewhat of a success. I would encourage everyone to just keep hustling and moving forward.

dead space 2 cheats March 23, 2011, 7:49 PM

Thanks for sharing. I’m very excited about this so hope you are not wrong.

htc droid March 23, 2011, 7:53 PM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

forums tourism March 23, 2011, 8:20 PM

This is really nice idea dude.iam really proud of you . Do u have twitter?? i want to follow you .thx

health forum March 23, 2011, 9:14 PM

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

Nicholas Knoche March 23, 2011, 9:14 PM

After a short time, regular commenters begin to create a community. It starts to feel intrusive to insert yourself.

review March 23, 2011, 9:19 PM

nice! i can tell this was important! good job!

Mr. Russell Armstrong March 23, 2011, 10:36 PM

I want to publish fast hello and want to state gratitude for the great write-up! Anyway my best thoughts to anyone close by atomic plant hopefully your are OK plus safer :-) Thank you Mr. Russell Armstrong

cheap dress wedding March 24, 2011, 3:07 AM

Beautifull post.. really loved ur site. That shows ur maturity. Keep going

protein shakes March 24, 2011, 3:32 AM

I’ve been reading your entries during my morning break, and I should admit the entire article has been very enlightening and rather well written. I believed I’d allow you to know that for some reason why this weblog does now not view neatly in Web Explorer 8. I wish Microsoft may prevent changing their software. I’ve a question for you. Could you thoughts exchanging weblog roll hyperlinks? That may be truly neat!

Golf News March 24, 2011, 11:24 AM

I believe that may be an interesting aspect, it made me suppose a bit. Thank you for sparking my considering cap. Every so often I get so much in a rut that I simply feel like a record.

shop eco March 24, 2011, 11:30 AM

Awesome article.. really liked ur site. This brings ur maturity. Make it last

cheap laptop computer March 24, 2011, 1:03 PM

I believe I will change to this blogengine system as it really is a ton nicer than mine.

health March 24, 2011, 2:44 PM

There are actually a whole lot of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great level to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as common inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you deliver up the place crucial factor can be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round things like that, however I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each girls and boys feel the influence of only a second’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

tattoo March 24, 2011, 3:25 PM

Great job here. I really enjoyed what you had to say.

chemex coffee maker March 24, 2011, 3:50 PM

I am not really wonderful with English but I find this really easygoing to interpret .

toy kids March 24, 2011, 6:39 PM

Really a great site! Just found it today and surely continue to look for updates.