Mom of Two Amy Locane of 'Melrose Place' Charged with DUI, Vehicular Homicide

Jennifer Ginsberg: Amy Locane, the former "Melrose Place" actress who also starred in "Cry-Baby" and "School Ties," has been charged with second-degree vehicular homicide and third-degree assault by auto after an alleged drunk-driving crash Sunday night in Hopewell, New Jersey, where she lives with her husband and two young daughters (Paige, 3, and Avery, 1).

Amy Locane Bovenizer

Prior to the deadly 9:00 PM crash, Locane was reportedly involved in a hit-and-run at a nearby intersection. She allegedly rear-ended a car, then drove off in her SUV, knocking down several mailboxes. As a couple was turning into their driveway, Locane struck their vehicle, killing noted art historian Helene Seeman. (Seeman's youngest son, Curtis, 17, was with her when she died.) Seeman's husband Fred, 60, is hospitalized in serious condition.

After the fatal crash, Locane admitted to police that she had had several glasses of wine prior to driving, according to court papers. (Her husband owns a wine shop and is a wine educator.) Officers allegedly smelled alcohol on her breath and reported that her speech was slurred and her eyes were bloodshot. She was arrested and transferred to University Medical Center in Princeton, where she underwent a blood-alcohol test. Bail was set at $50,000; if convicted, Locane could face five to 10 years in state prison.

I am certain that upon hearing this story, most people will feel rightful anger and horror. If there is anything we can learn from this horrific incident, let it be that alcohol and driving DO NOT mix. Even small amounts of alcohol alter one's judgment and ability to drive a car.

But I am equally certain that many other people will look at the mugshot of Amy Locane and know that it easily could've been them. Most people who drive drunk think they are sober enough to drive safely, and they usually get away with it. The lucky ones get arrested before they maim or kill another person while driving drunk.

It is easy to demonize one woman who behaved so recklessly and selfishly when she made the drunken choice to get behind the wheel. How about shifting the focus off the question of her morality and taking the opportunity to examine our own behavior? It is hypocritical to condemn one woman whose conduct under the influence resulted in a dramatic and horrific outcome, yet rationalize those times we drive after having one too many or popping a pill to "take the edge off."

If you look at Amy Locane and think, "There but by the grace of God go I," then make a commitment to NEVER get behind the wheel while under the influence.

Whatever it takes.

next: Shocker: Kyron Horman's Father Files for Divorce
NJMom June 29, 2010, 9:14 AM

Very well said, thank you for trying to make something positive out of this very sad tragedy. My heart goes out to the victims and to Amy’s young children.

Anonymous June 29, 2010, 12:47 PM

She is Hot. They will have fun with her behind bars…

cheapviagra4345 August 30, 2010, 10:38 AM
Arts And Crafts For Senior Citizens November 25, 2010, 1:47 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

atkins diet December 27, 2010, 4:09 AM

I was been trying to find the WWW for such information and i wanted to thank you for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – Thank you

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 1:13 PM

I have been looking the Web for this information and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a version of this theme? – 10x

21St Birthday Cakes For Girls January 6, 2011, 1:35 PM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 5:15 PM

Females generally usually are not looking to lose substantial levels of weight typically. Most of the men and women utilizing phen375 are simply seeking to shed Five in order to 25 weight typically and normally its stomach fat. The majority are healthy, go to the gym kind individuals. They just have not been able to drop body fat on the stomach or have reached the Plato. Stomach fat problems typically commence to occur for women at about the time of or following child birth and also later in age group before being menopausal. It seems going to ladies whilst right now there hormonal changes are changing; it’s a standard procedure for existence or perhaps is that? I will show you the real excess fat stored in the stomach or belly area differs from the others and also the more you’ve of it the actual whores your junk discrepancy will end up.

Deshawn Trogstad February 6, 2011, 7:14 AM

As a Newbie, I am continuously exploring online for articles that can aid me. Thank you

Jules Pear February 20, 2011, 6:16 PM

Hello. magnificent job. I did not anticipate this. This is a remarkable story. Thanks!

Herman Whittley February 24, 2011, 3:03 AM

I am continually invstigating online for tips that can help me. Thanks!

japan fun February 25, 2011, 4:30 PM

I’m getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

Delois Seres February 25, 2011, 8:30 PM

I am unable to thank you sufficiently for the discussions on your website. I know you placed a lot of time and energy into them and really hope you know how deeply I appreciate it. I hope I will do a similar thing person someday.

buty February 26, 2011, 3:56 PM

I think this is one of the most significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

program tv February 27, 2011, 4:17 AM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

buty February 27, 2011, 9:41 AM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Anisha Loughney February 27, 2011, 6:01 PM

I certainly didn’t know that. Learnt something new right now! Thanks for that.

wolf puppies for sale in california February 28, 2011, 7:49 AM

You know that children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.

Marvella Sugahara February 28, 2011, 5:26 PM

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist different customers like its aided me. Great job.

blend-a-med February 28, 2011, 9:01 PM

I’d prefer to thank you for the particular efforts you’ve created in writing this submit.