Mom of Two Amy Locane of 'Melrose Place' Charged with DUI, Vehicular Homicide

Jennifer Ginsberg: Amy Locane, the former "Melrose Place" actress who also starred in "Cry-Baby" and "School Ties," has been charged with second-degree vehicular homicide and third-degree assault by auto after an alleged drunk-driving crash Sunday night in Hopewell, New Jersey, where she lives with her husband and two young daughters (Paige, 3, and Avery, 1).

Amy Locane Bovenizer

Prior to the deadly 9:00 PM crash, Locane was reportedly involved in a hit-and-run at a nearby intersection. She allegedly rear-ended a car, then drove off in her SUV, knocking down several mailboxes. As a couple was turning into their driveway, Locane struck their vehicle, killing noted art historian Helene Seeman. (Seeman's youngest son, Curtis, 17, was with her when she died.) Seeman's husband Fred, 60, is hospitalized in serious condition.

After the fatal crash, Locane admitted to police that she had had several glasses of wine prior to driving, according to court papers. (Her husband owns a wine shop and is a wine educator.) Officers allegedly smelled alcohol on her breath and reported that her speech was slurred and her eyes were bloodshot. She was arrested and transferred to University Medical Center in Princeton, where she underwent a blood-alcohol test. Bail was set at $50,000; if convicted, Locane could face five to 10 years in state prison.

I am certain that upon hearing this story, most people will feel rightful anger and horror. If there is anything we can learn from this horrific incident, let it be that alcohol and driving DO NOT mix. Even small amounts of alcohol alter one's judgment and ability to drive a car.

But I am equally certain that many other people will look at the mugshot of Amy Locane and know that it easily could've been them. Most people who drive drunk think they are sober enough to drive safely, and they usually get away with it. The lucky ones get arrested before they maim or kill another person while driving drunk.

It is easy to demonize one woman who behaved so recklessly and selfishly when she made the drunken choice to get behind the wheel. How about shifting the focus off the question of her morality and taking the opportunity to examine our own behavior? It is hypocritical to condemn one woman whose conduct under the influence resulted in a dramatic and horrific outcome, yet rationalize those times we drive after having one too many or popping a pill to "take the edge off."

If you look at Amy Locane and think, "There but by the grace of God go I," then make a commitment to NEVER get behind the wheel while under the influence.

Whatever it takes.

next: Shocker: Kyron Horman's Father Files for Divorce
Sevcik March 28, 2011, 9:30 PM

Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.

hcg diet March 29, 2011, 4:40 AM

Many thanks for spending some time and keep this little corner on the internet up-to-date, I operate a web log myself and its hard work to find enough time to help keep it running!

When I March 29, 2011, 5:45 AM

Thinking about recording the future blockbuster Star Wars, you’ll require a green cyc studio rental.

Mr. Russell Armstrong March 29, 2011, 1:18 PM

This is completely comical. I am happy I found your self on freshly pressed Plus our thoughts go out to people close by Japan we hope you are OK along with safe :)

review games March 30, 2011, 6:28 AM

Hello! I very like your website. I like this post. I hope you don’t mind when I bookmark it to my Mr Wong bookmarks.

computer technician March 30, 2011, 9:53 AM

I just couldn’t leave your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual info an individual provide on your guests? Is going to be back continuously to investigate cross-check new posts

Russell Armstrong CEO March 30, 2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the interpretation we by no means first viewed it like that Bless you Russell Armstrong CEO

bet on football March 30, 2011, 11:37 AM

F*ckin’ remarkable issues here. I am very satisfied to peer your post. Thanks so much and i’m taking a look forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

nature cure diabetes March 31, 2011, 7:23 AM

I’m still learning from you, while I’m making my way to the top as well. I absolutely liked reading all that is written on your website.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!

german for beginners March 31, 2011, 7:47 AM

As I website owner I think the content material here is very fantastic, thanks for your efforts.

currey & company March 31, 2011, 8:25 PM

wonderful points altogether, you just won brand new reader. What would you recommend about your publish that you simply made a few days in the past? Any positive?

ask büyüsü April 1, 2011, 8:59 AM

I appreciate the info shared here. Please keep up the good work. Best wishes to you..

adsense April 1, 2011, 3:20 PM

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I’ve learn this publish and if I may I desire to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I want to learn more things approximately it!

kangen April 3, 2011, 4:35 PM

you’re in point of fact a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a fantastic activity in this topic!

Jeep Jeep Media PA April 4, 2011, 6:41 AM

I need to admit im loving the look of this internet site, I once was a images designer and i’m impressed!

discount pharmacy April 4, 2011, 9:32 AM

You can certainly see your skills within the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

wholesale Nuggets jerseys April 4, 2011, 11:03 AM

Damned helpful, I will definately be returning because i start my following task.

kredyt hipoteczny BGZ April 4, 2011, 6:27 PM

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

radio installation kit April 4, 2011, 9:36 PM

I think that is an interesting point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Sometimes I get so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

SPW318BR April 5, 2011, 5:50 AM

Mate. This site is amazing. How did you make it look like this !