Lara Shriftman Tells Us How to Throw the Perfect Baby Shower

Luxury, fashion and lifestyle expert and PR powerhouse to the stars Lara Shriftman, coauthor of "Party Confidential," shares her quick tips for throwing a successful shower.

baby pins

Location: You can host the shower in your home or in one of your favorite restaurants.

Time:You can have it in the afternoon as a lunch or tea or in the evening as a cocktail or dinner party. Jack-and-Jill tip: If the shower is for both sexes, have it in the evening to give it more of a cocktail-party feel.

Chic Tip:Throwthe showerone to three months before the mommy-to-be is due. That way, she'll have the time to purchase any items she may still need, and she'll be able to exchange duplicate gifts before the baby is born.

Make Your Own Invitation! I used an old postcard as inspiration and customized it for the shower on my computer. Then I went to my favorite paper place, The Paper Source, to buy the paper and envelopes.

- I went through old notes and cards and found one that inspired me, then styled it and made it my own.
- Always remember to include the four Ws: What, Where, When and Why!
- Feel free to include a list of the activities guests can expect at your party.
- If the mommy-to-be is registered, provide this information on the invite to let guests know where to shop.
- If the shower is coed, put the names of both the mommy- and daddy-to-be on the invite, a la, "A shower in celebration of Jane & Jack." You can also add descriptions such as "Coed Games," to let the men know they are also welcome! Address the invitations to both members of the couple.
- Send a cute Evite, or simply make calls! (If you send out a mass e-mail, remember to always BCC.)

Guest Book:

- Put it in the entryway, soguests can write notes to the parents-to-be as they arrive.I like the white guest book from KOLO, accompanied bypink and/or blue pens.

Wish Tree:

- Make a "wish tree" for the mom- and dad-to-be. Have each guest write down their wish on a piece of pink or blue paper (provide both colors if the baby's sex is unknown) and then hang it on the tree.

- To make your own wish tree, purchase a leafless plant with branches and plant it in a fun pot. Cut up blue and/or pink paper into medium-sized squares, hole-punch them at the top in the center and tie on a small piece of matching ribbon so guests can hang the wish on the tree.

Shower Games:

- Set up a table with pink and blue pens and paper to write on. Guests can write their favorite names on the paper, then place them in a chic glass jar or bowl. The guests of honor can choose to read the suggestions after the party, or, for a bit of fun interaction, have an outgoing friend read off the names and let the guests vote on their favorites.

- The game "Table Topics" is perfect as an icebreaker -- and a great conversation starter.

- You can also buy fun games -- like "Baby Shower Bingo" or "Pin the Bottle on the Baby" -- at your local party-supply store.

Music:

- Have a fun mix of music playing in the background to create an upbeat atmosphere. If you can't put your CDs on "shuffle," make your own mix CD, buy one (I like "The Dirty Martini Mix") or create a playlist on your iPod.

Menu:

- You can use any menu! Pick something the mom-to-be likes.
- Have trays of hors d'oeuvres and dessert.
- Place a cheese plate with nuts, fruit, honey, artisan breads and crackers in the room where guests gather.
- Always have something sweet and something savory for the mom-to-be!

My Menu:

Hors d'oeuvres

- Caviar Baby Booties (toast cutouts in the shape of little booties, with crème fraiche, caviar and snipped chives)

- Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon Bites on a fresh rosemary twig

- Wild Mushroom Risotto Cakes

- Ginger-Shrimp Wonton with fresh cilantro and aioli diablo

- Baby chicken pot pies

Dessert

- Sugar cookies shaped like baby bottles, glazed with pink and/or blue icing

- Vanilla cupcakes frosted in pale pinks and blues from CRUMBS Bake Shop

Drinks

Grey Goose Vodka and mixers
Wine
Champagne
Still and sparkling water

Savvy Serving:

- Make your own paper tray liners to go with the baby shower theme. Select solid colors like pink or blue (or add some flair with baby-themed printed designs), then cut them to fit your serving trays.

- Decorate the table with baby items such as pacifiers, baby bottles or baby booties!DO IT YOURSELF!

- If you host an evening shower, make sure to serve food that will be filling enough to keep the guests from getting hungry.

- Set out little bowls of snack food -- such as nuts or party mix -- in areas where guests are gathered.

- Always remember to provide healthy options for those following a diet. Everyone likes healthy comfort food!

- Provide bite-size indulgences, such as Mini Gourmet Grilled Cheeses with Truffle Cheese and Basil. They're easy and fun to make!

- If you don't want to cook, you can always order in a selection of appetizers from one of your favorite restaurants.

Dessert:

- Buy fun, baby-themed cookie cutters (shaped like bottles or storks) and make sugar cookies.

- Candy, cupcakes, mini cookies and mini brownies are great for creating your own dessert bar!

- Order pink or blue bite-size cupcakes from your local CRUMBS Bake Shop.

- Set out dishes of pink and/or blue jelly beans or M&Ms.

- Order M&Ms in solid colors and customize them online atMy M&Ms. (To be safe, give yourself at least two weeks for printing and shipping.)

Drinks:

- Remember to always have water available for your guests.

- Pick one or two fun signature cocktails to serve, and offer red and white wine or champagne.

next: Shaq's Mom: 'Walk Like You Have Somewhere To Go'
Slamazon June 2, 2010, 2:08 PM

I still have to go with making a mad lib about the labor, then having everyone read theirs aloud. Everyone loved it.

Baby Shower June 3, 2010, 2:35 AM

Its especially easy to go overboard when buying or making baby girl shower decorations as everything is so adorable. Baby Shower

Momlove June 9, 2010, 10:56 AM

I took your idea about having all my guests submit a potential baby name, and ended up finding the perfect name for my daughter! Thank you!

Keira June 14, 2010, 5:30 AM

Hi there. I really like the idea of having a wish tree. Have a look at an article I wrote about planting a real tree in honour of Baby. I’m thinking the two ideas could be amalgamated. The wishes could be posted on a real tree that is planted for baby and then they could be saved. Some great ideas on your blog. Thank you.

Taylor  June 15, 2010, 4:51 PM

Since we didn’t want to find out the sex before, I took your idea about throwing a cocktail party. It was something different and chic for a baby shower and was a great hit!

Irene July 28, 2010, 11:38 AM

I love the wish tree idea and will definitely do that. thanks.

Doofedaregolo September 5, 2010, 1:27 AM

I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep it that way.

finally got download full movies September 11, 2010, 7:07 PM

Thanks to your post I really learned anything from it. Excellent posts on this web site Always seeking forward to new post.

chase online banking October 18, 2010, 7:00 PM

I think that is an interesting point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Sometimes I get so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

Titus Schuermann October 24, 2010, 7:29 PM

I, apparently, could seize upon.

Maureen Grosbier October 25, 2010, 3:34 AM

I am invariably searching for someone to trade articles and reviews along with, I am a scholar student and possess a blog site here on our university web-site. The subject of your blog and writting style would go great in some of my category’s, tell me in case you are up for this.

Malka Oharra October 25, 2010, 4:52 PM

I have been exploring on the internet trying to find some ideas on the way to get my personal web site coded, your overall design and style together with theme are amazing. Did you code it your self or did you employ a coder to get it done for you personally?

Byron Polhamus October 26, 2010, 5:22 PM

Just simply needed to say I genuinely admire your work on this blog site and the good quality posts you make. These type of post tend to be precisely what keeps me going through the day time. I discovered this post after a great friend of my own suggested it to me. I do a little blogging and site-building myself and I am always pleased to observe others adding high quality info towards online community. I am going to certainly be following and now have saved your web blog to my personal myspace account for others to view.

Illa Kotcher October 30, 2010, 3:32 PM

I may be a total geek, but I lost you on this thought.

Jovan Corona October 30, 2010, 10:52 PM

I think they’ll be completed by next month, but I’m in a hurry.

Brad Duesing October 31, 2010, 6:21 AM

My bum can’t stop wiggling when I suppose of and it is how to end being anxious relating to this motif.

Theola Atchley October 31, 2010, 1:03 PM

I’d have to engage with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

Rocky Dejarnett October 31, 2010, 2:10 PM

I thought I was making it more interesting than listening to me talk in relation to and I used to chase that theory but no longer.

Lori Evens November 8, 2010, 4:35 PM

I am a regular reader of your blog posts. I loved the recent one and other posts on your blog so much. Even debating of borrowing some ideas and put them to work. Keep all the good work going by posting more informative posts. Thanks. Time well spent on this post.

Bernetta Newsum November 13, 2010, 11:30 AM

Reading your posting I am convinced that i may possibly know you from the university, probably did happen to attend Texas Technology? In case you did remember to send myself a message so we can easily get up to date it’s been quite a long time! Anticipate conversing with you and pray all will be well with you.