Bethenny Frankel Reacts to Bathing Suit Controversy

When Bethenny Frankel posed for a photo in a plunging red bathing suit just THREE WEEKS after giving birth to daughter Bryn, some moms said it put undue pressure on the rest of us "normal" mothers.

betheny Frankel

This morning, Bethenny responded to momlogic.com:

"I gained 35 pounds during my pregnancy, and probably would have gained five more if Bryn wasn't born five weeks early," she says. "The truth is, I was really healthy! I indulged, but in moderation. I was even eating red velvet cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. They say you should eat 300 more calories a day when you're pregnant. I don't count calories, but I'd say I was eating 400 more than I usually did per day."

Keep in mind that Bethenny is a nutritionist and weight-loss guru. "My books about being naturally skinny have sold hundreds of thousands of copies," she tells momlogic. "The bottom line is, it's not so unrealistic to stay healthy while you're expecting. You don't have to gain 75 pounds unless you really decide, 'I'm going to Taco Bell every day' -- and then you'll have a lot more work to do later. I lost about 25 pounds in the hospital, just from the baby and all the baby stuff. Plus, I had a C-section, so I was in the hospital for six days, and you can't really eat for three of those. But once I left the hospital, I still had about ten more pounds to go. I still am maybe five or six pounds heavier than I was when I got pregnant, but it will fall off when it wants to.

"In terms of the bathing-suit shot, I purposely didn't wear a bikini in the photo. I thought it would be cheesy, so I wore a one-piece. I think I look like a mom; I don't think I look scary-skinny. I think it's good for a woman to know she can stay healthy during and after pregnancy. While I was pregnant, I did light walks and light yoga -- I didn't do anything crazy. It was all balanced!"

Bethenny Frankel's new show, "Bethenny Getting Married?" premieres on Bravo June 10 at 10/9c.

Moms: How much weight did you gain during pregnancy? Did it come off as easily as Bethenny's has? Comment below.

next: Mark Feuerstein Named His Kid After a Soap Star ... By Mistake!
Keri June 3, 2010, 11:59 AM

I weighed 100 pounds when I became pregnant, was 140 pounds when I delivered. Came home from the hospital and weighed 108.

AshLeigh June 3, 2010, 1:14 PM

I gained 22 pounds my first pregnancy, 12 with number 2 and 16 with number 3. All 3 were healthy babies.

Gigohead  June 3, 2010, 2:00 PM

Personally, I think her baby was too small for the time she had her. I was 31 weeks when I had to have my son, and he was born at 3 pounds so had Jayson reached her daughter’s time, I estimate Jayson would have been at least 6 pounds. She under ate and I don’t think that sends the right message to anyone regardless. I was not offended by her because she clearly doesn’t have a clue.

Dawn  June 3, 2010, 2:20 PM

You are the only person who can truly put pressure on yourself. I think it sucks that women look down on eachother for accomplishing something that should be celebrated. Great job Bethanny ! 7 years out, I still have “baby weight” to lose… I feel no pressure from celebrities who drop their baby weight in weeks.

Anonymous June 3, 2010, 5:40 PM

I think Bethany is a great example of how to be healthy. I just with I would have read her books sooner. I gained close to 50 pounds when I was pregnant. 20 of it fell off at the hospital and I am working on the rest. But you have to remember it is different for everyone! I have struggled with my weight since I was a teen and just before I found out I was expecting I had lost 30 pounds. I wish I would have tried harder to gain less weight when I was pregnant but, its too late for that now. Just remember EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Mary June 3, 2010, 6:46 PM

She makes me want to vomit. I gained 40 lbs while pg, had a c-section and had a 9.5 lb baby, left the hospital SEVEN pounds lighter. I was able to eat 24 hours after my c-section. 3 weeks after I had my baby the last thing I was worried about was getting into a bathing suit and I certainly hadn’t lost the weight I gained. WTH is a personal trainer?? Nanny??? Breastfeeding??? Seems to me like she’s more concerned about her body than her weight loss than baby. Nothing like and article like this to make the majority of new moms feel like complete junk and total failures. DOWNGRADE!

tasha June 3, 2010, 6:46 PM

I completely agree with Bethenny!My doctor was very big on having a healthy pregnancy for me and my daughter. I gained 36lbs and my daughter was 7lbs/5oz. I only ate the recommended extra 300 calories a day and it was healthy food. Woman use pregnancy as an excuse to eat everything and then complain that theyre fat afterwards.

Tracie June 3, 2010, 6:58 PM

I didn’t get a stretch mark until the last 2 weeks with my first. I’m sure if I had given birth 5 weeks early, my stomach would be beautiful now. It is flat, but there remains the scars of motherhood. They don’t bother me, but I don’t expose them for the world either.

I also gained about 15 lbs those last 3 weeks.

All to say, Bethanny should count her blessings to have a tiny baby and a little early. She avoided all of those last minute lbs and water retention.

Anon June 3, 2010, 6:59 PM

you women sound jealous

LeighAnn June 3, 2010, 7:49 PM

I gained 37 lbs with my first and over 40 with my second my third I was the heaviest. That weight has definitely stuck to my mid section. However, I agree with her if you eat healthy and think about what your eating before you do it is very possible to drop the weight after the baby.

Marie June 3, 2010, 8:45 PM

I actually lost weight the first 3 pregnancies and gained 35lbs on the 4th. My 2nd and 3rd were premature weighing 3lbs and 4lbs. They are now ages 49 and 48, very healthy. I think what matters the most is how you care for them once they are born. Our bodies are amazing machines and I just don’t believe there are any set rules on weight gain or loss during pregnancy. It changes with obstetricians every few years.

DebbieR June 3, 2010, 10:50 PM

I gained about 30 pounds when I was pregnant and I about 3 weeks I was back down to my pre-baby size. Everyone is different. Bethenny was healthy to begin with so why wouldn’t she lose the weight fast and she is breastfeeding. I think this is why I lost mine so quickly because I sure didn’t exercise!! :)

Jen June 3, 2010, 11:01 PM

What’s with the negativity? She just states the facts for HER. I gained a ton of weight with my first and about 40 for my second and third. Lost weight within a week. I don’t diet at all but have always been concious of what I ate when pregnant. I ate what I wanted, just in moderation. Everyone has different genes, some of us are I guess more fortunate? Kudos to Bethenny for showing off (very tastefully) her after baby body. I think its such a shame that in this day and age a woman has to defend herself and her genetics with all the other things going on in the world.

Toots June 3, 2010, 11:36 PM

I delivered an almost 9 lb baby via c-section and when I came home from the hospital I was a pound heavier than when I went into the hospital to deliver. How’s that for inspiring? ;-)

P.S. Totally worth every ounce of flab I gained…

mylexirae June 4, 2010, 12:18 AM

Just wanted to say Gigohead, your coment is a load of crap. Every pregnancy is different, just as every woman is different. Yes, there are “average” ranges of weight gain, birth weight, etc. I gained 70lbs, ate good food, just too much, did’t smoke, drink or anything harmful to a baby. I had my son at 38 weeks. He was 4lb 9oz. So if she wasn’t easting enough, what did I do wrong? Obviously the only person that knows exactly what she did during/after pregnancy is Bethenny. What right do you have to criticize without knowing all the facts? Personally, I think alot of you are just jealous because she lost the baby weight so fast and looks great! Of course that just an opinion! Don’t forget she is nursing too and that burns extra calories! Get over all the negativity and let her celebrate the joys of being a new mother!

Jtp June 4, 2010, 6:45 AM

I am personally sick of people complaining about being fat and then hating skinny people. Pick a side! I gained 25 lbs with my first and lost it in 2 weeks. The second I gained 35 and it took 6 months. Everyone is different. If I would have thought about it I would have donned a bathing suit too after my first to say look at me too! Go bethanny!

Shannon June 4, 2010, 8:07 AM

Before I got pregnant I had gained like 30lbs from just lack of working out & eating like a pig! Then I lost 15lbs of it by eating good & working out again. I was still working on losing those last pesky lbs when I found out I was pregnant & gained a total of 45 lbs with my son. He was a week early & weighed 7 lbs 9 oz. I had a lot of swelling after having him vaginally that didn’t go down for 2wks. By the time my son was a month old I had lost like 25 lbs… No working out eating good & breastfeeding. When my son was 6 months I had lost all of the preggo weight (again just breastfeeding, eating good, & no work outs). I quit breastfeeding my son at a yr old & was 10 lbs skinner then I was before I was preggo. Now my son is 22 months old we go for 30 minute walks every morning (in his stroller) & after we swim for about an hr. I try & do yoga before he wakes up in the morning & that is all I do as far as working out. I’m eating smaller portions & want to lose at least 10 more lbs because that is how much I weighed when I met my hubby (I felt I looked my best at that weight). Losing the preggo weight was easy for me because of breastfeeding, but trying to lose the last pesky lbs I have put on over the years (being happy in love & getting older) is hard!!! I wish everyone good luck & quit your bitching about stars making you feel less about yourself. They have trainers, food delivered to them, nanny’s, $$$, & possibly good genes for they’re body bouncing back!

Anonymous June 4, 2010, 10:43 AM

I’ll take Bethany’s side here. You don’t HAVE to gain 50-60 or more pounds in pregnancy. I am a runner and I eat healthy (i.e., I make smart choices). I was 100 lbs to start and gained 18 lbs with each pregnancy. Went home from the hospital 12 lbs lighter each time and the rest fell off within 2 weeks. People loved to comment that they “hated me” and that I was “lucky” but it wasn’t luck - I exercised throughout my entire pregnancy and ate well - and continued to do the same after the birth.

imariec June 4, 2010, 11:16 AM

I think it is ridiculous that women get criticized for loosing baby weight either too fast or too slow… goodness gracious, everyone looses the baby weight at different rates. If she hadn’t lost it fast, they’d be complaining that she’s fat.

Pamala June 5, 2010, 12:41 AM

When I had my daughter I walked out 20lbs lighter than my starting weight and lost a total of 40lbs within two weeks. I hope to have the same thing happen with this current baby. Some of us just lose weight really fast. Mainly because I haven’t used this pregnancy as a reason to eat crappy and too much all the time.

I think people fail to realize that Betheney was already skinny and healthy and obviously kept up that lifestyle while pregnant. Of course she’d lose it fast.