Bethenny Frankel Reacts to Bathing Suit Controversy

When Bethenny Frankel posed for a photo in a plunging red bathing suit just THREE WEEKS after giving birth to daughter Bryn, some moms said it put undue pressure on the rest of us "normal" mothers.

betheny Frankel

This morning, Bethenny responded to momlogic.com:

"I gained 35 pounds during my pregnancy, and probably would have gained five more if Bryn wasn't born five weeks early," she says. "The truth is, I was really healthy! I indulged, but in moderation. I was even eating red velvet cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. They say you should eat 300 more calories a day when you're pregnant. I don't count calories, but I'd say I was eating 400 more than I usually did per day."

Keep in mind that Bethenny is a nutritionist and weight-loss guru. "My books about being naturally skinny have sold hundreds of thousands of copies," she tells momlogic. "The bottom line is, it's not so unrealistic to stay healthy while you're expecting. You don't have to gain 75 pounds unless you really decide, 'I'm going to Taco Bell every day' -- and then you'll have a lot more work to do later. I lost about 25 pounds in the hospital, just from the baby and all the baby stuff. Plus, I had a C-section, so I was in the hospital for six days, and you can't really eat for three of those. But once I left the hospital, I still had about ten more pounds to go. I still am maybe five or six pounds heavier than I was when I got pregnant, but it will fall off when it wants to.

"In terms of the bathing-suit shot, I purposely didn't wear a bikini in the photo. I thought it would be cheesy, so I wore a one-piece. I think I look like a mom; I don't think I look scary-skinny. I think it's good for a woman to know she can stay healthy during and after pregnancy. While I was pregnant, I did light walks and light yoga -- I didn't do anything crazy. It was all balanced!"

Bethenny Frankel's new show, "Bethenny Getting Married?" premieres on Bravo June 10 at 10/9c.

Moms: How much weight did you gain during pregnancy? Did it come off as easily as Bethenny's has? Comment below.

next: Mark Feuerstein Named His Kid After a Soap Star ... By Mistake!
Anonymous June 5, 2010, 7:39 AM

My opinion as a mother and as a nurse: First of all I am obese, so my recommended weight gain is 10-20 pounds. With my first pregnancy I gained 40 pounds. Within 2-3 weeks I lost it all.. I also had a 9 lb baby by c-section. With my second pregnancy I gained 10 lb more than my pre-preg. weight, but I lost about 15 lb in the first and second trimesters. My doctor said that as long as the baby was healthy and growing, it didn’t matter how much I lost (b/c I am obese and have plenty of extra body fat). I am now about 15 lb less than my pre-preg weight 5 months post partum. BTW in the hosp. for 6 days after C-sect is BS, most only get 2-3 days and I ate within an hour of delivery after my last c-section. And was home within 2 days.

Kerry June 5, 2010, 3:16 PM

I gained 50 lbs with the first, lost 25 at the hospital and was back to pre baby weight about 6 months after. I am now pregnant again, and already gained 28 lbs. I have 3 months to go! I admit…I’m eating ice cream and other things I wouldn’t indulge in otherwise, but what the heck? ANd I’m not doing it everyday. I will work at losing it after! I am a firm believer of 9 months up/9 months down. I am older now so it may take a bit longer, but With 2 kids running around I’m sure I’ll lose it eventually.

Sue in NY June 6, 2010, 7:43 AM

To all of you women posting that Bethenny is MAKING you feel like “junk” or “bad” is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! Nobody can MAKE you feel something about yourself you aren’t already feeling!!! OWN your OWN feelings and deal with it. If you don’t like the way you look or feel about yourself or your life, then change it!! YOU have the POWER within yourself to change it. Don’t give that power away to someone else nor should you blame others for your own inadequacies. So, Bethenny poses in a bathing suit 3 weeks after giving birth..you can view it one of two ways…..It is very possible to get back into shape with due diligence while pregnant and after OR you can let yourself go and gain more weight than is necessary, but you will have a harder time. It’s like the glass is half empty half full way of looking at things. If you choose to look at Bethenny (or any woman really who is either fortunate or works hard) and then make the choice to feel bad because you’re either A) not like her or B) don’t want to work that hard, well that’s not their choosing, it’s YOURS!! OWN IT!!! Nobody makes you feel anything but YOU!!!!

Mandy L H June 6, 2010, 2:29 PM

I’ve really become annoyed with jealous, insecure women criticizes other women because they’re not overweight and unhealthy. Bethenny should be proud of herself that ate healthy and stayed active throughout her pregnancy, which is what every women should be doing. Not only for yourself but for your baby as well. Instead women take this opportunity when they should be eating the healthiest to overindulge and be lazy. You’ll see these same women 9months later crying because they’re still overweight and then telling the healthy girl she’s putting too much pressure on her. How about you put down the burrito and go workout, no one cares about your opinion anyway!

calimommy June 6, 2010, 9:37 PM

I’m just happy that my breasts didn’t become incredibly asymmetrical after having my 3 children.

get a life June 6, 2010, 10:03 PM

i was on bed rest and gained 60lbs with my pregnancy…came off easily..my son was barely 5 pounds and was also 5 weeks early…lay off the woman she is a small petite person and her baby’s daddy is also not very big had she carried her baby to term the baby would have developed that layer of brown fat which happens in the last week of pregnancy, my son did not develop his either being born premature had baby Bryn developed that brown layer of fat she would have more than likely been 7lbs or so..so lay off until u r informed!

Ellen Christian June 8, 2010, 3:37 AM

I think the fact that anyone expects her to look less healthy because other people weigh more than they should is ridiculous. Everyone gains a different amount of weight with pregnancy and many gain it because of poor eating habits and a lack of exercise. I gained about 35 pounds with my first child although I didn’t loose it as quickly as she did, it didn’t take a long time. I gained about 45 with my son because I had stopped exercising and started eating more processed foods and it took a long time to come off. It’s gone now but it’s easier when you eat healthy & exercise like she does. I love her workout routines and have the Body by Bethenny DVD that I do regularly.

Jennifer  June 8, 2010, 5:01 AM

I just hate all this jealousy! I would have been thrilled if I could have put on ANY type of bathing suit so close to my delivery! I don’t thinks she’s a bad mom or that she doesn’t care about her baby. That is just flat out insanity! I bounced back very quickly after my first child too…….it was the last three that I had every other year (along with eating everything in sight) that has come back to bite me in the rear! It’s time we women start supporting each other instead of tearing each other apart because of our own insecurities. Enjoy your new little blessing & I wish you and your family all the best!

Mary Ellen June 8, 2010, 5:26 AM

I think she looks fantastic. Good for her!

Astrid June 8, 2010, 5:38 PM

I weighed 140 lb when I got pregnant. Went into delivery with 144. Because I lost some weight during my first trimester due to morning sickness. came back home with a healthy 11lb baby.

Sue in NY June 9, 2010, 4:39 AM

To anonymous (the obese nurse…just clarifying in case there is more than one anonymous) you said that it’s BS that Bethenny was in the hospital for 6 days after her C-section. How do you know it’s BS? OK, being a nurse I am sure you know that the “average” stay for a C-sect is 2-3 days. Heck, any MOM knows that one! You don’t have to be an RN to know that one. You also don’t have to be an RN to realize that there can be complications and not every delivery goes smoothly. There are a number of reasons as to why the stay was 6 days as opposed to 2-3. She could have had her tubes tied (although unlikely but still, it’s possible); she could have developed an infection which required IV antibiotics; she may have had what celebs call a “C-TUCK” planned, which is a planned C section and immediate tummy tuck after the delivery. I doubt that this C-section falls into that category because Bryn was a premmie, but a lot of celebs have that tummy tuck after delivery! I am not saying she did because I didn’t see her medical records….neither did you Anonymous. Unless, of course, you did and you are reporting the facts which would be highly unethical and illegal. SO, which is it? The phrase “catch 22” came to mind! So for you to say that the 6 day stay is BS is well…..BS!

Allison June 9, 2010, 1:40 PM

I think she has her facts a little wrong about c-sections: for most c-sections, you are in the hosptial for four days, and you can only not eat for about one day, not three. With a new baby breastfeeding, they would never let you not eat for three days. She was probably in the hospital for almost a week b/c her baby was premature, not b/c of a c/s.

liushangting June 10, 2010, 2:04 AM

very good!
Handmade suits with favorable price
Free Testing suit chance
www.specialtailor.com

Anonymous July 19, 2010, 8:54 AM

I think Bethenny had extra time in the hospital because I don’t think the C-section was planned. Her water broke early, I think she tried to deliver vaginally, but it didn’t work out, so then she had a c-section. Because of her water breaking and the time it takes to induce labor, she may well have been in the hospital for an extra 2 1/2-3 days, which is why her hospital stay was 6 days.

Kendra July 23, 2010, 8:21 AM

Ok ladies brace yourselves. I gained an astonishing 75 pounds during my 1st pregnancy and 65 pounds during my second. Yes you read that right 75 & 65! Before pregnancy I was a tiny 110 pounds. I did not overeat and indulge as many people on here seem to blame massive weigh gain on. In fact I was quite sick the entire time I was pregnant, so sick in fact I had to be put on medication to control the sickness. I did however suffer from complications. I have type 1 diabetes and for all of the judgemental
un-educated women out there I did not suffer from diabetes due to obesity and laziness, I was diagnosed at the age of 8 due to organ failure. I also suffered from pre-eclampsia which later developed into eclampsia. I according to my OB retained more water weight during my pregnancies than any patient she had ever treated. I’m sure many who have read this far would assume due to that amount of weight gain that I had huge babies. Not true, both of my babies were diagnosed with intra uterine growth retardation and were born at just barely 5 pounds and they were both 5 weeks early. So the amount of weight you gain during pregnancy really has nothing to do with how large your child will be at birth. I had c sections both times and I was in the hospital for 6 days with both babies so that is not unheard of. I may have been kept for a longer period due to my complications however a womans stay in the hospital after giving birth is not always the same. As far as shedding the pounds after giving birth, after my first pregnancy I was 30 pounds heavier than pre baby and I had resigned my self to the fact that I would always be that heavy, however after giving birth to my second baby all of the weight quickly slipped off and I’am now smaller now than ever. I think its wonderful when a mother can loose that baby weight and return to the once healthy weight she was before, that is assuming her weight before baby was healthy. My weight just dropped off I didn’t exercise (I never have) and I didn’t diet. I think its just awful when mothers judge each other for losing the baby weight, I have friends that judge me for being so skinny. All I can do is thank my genes. I mean gosh people why are woman so set on tearing each other down? Its just ridiculous!

Manolita July 26, 2010, 1:10 PM

My sister-in-law, who was a runner and dancer, weighed 92 pounds before her pregnancy and 120 lbs on the day she delivered her 9-lb baby. Her secret: no sugar, no junk food, no beverages other than water and lowfat milk, 10 servings of fruit and veggies, good quality protein at every meal: fish, turkey, fish, beans. American women do gain too much weight with pregnancies. My mother weighed 120 lbs after her 8th child

Chase October 18, 2010, 10:34 AM

Glad to see that this site works well on my Blackberry Bold, everything I want to do is functional. Thanks for keeping it up to date with the latest.

ImmimiAnabe October 22, 2010, 9:20 AM

Hello everyone!

I would like to know your best tips to lose a weights. I tried many things and even started a website and reviewing diet programs. Give me some ideas and tips!

You can also read my latest post: diet solution program review

Good Hair Colors For Pale Skin November 25, 2010, 1:18 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:32 PM

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon…