BP Oil Spill: Placing the Blame

Elizabeth Lindell: A few years after I moved to California, a friend drove me to Santa Barbara for a walk on the beach. As we drove along the Pacific Coast Highway, she pointed out the oil rigs in the ocean.

pelican covered with oil

"Those are why I wanted you to bring old shoes," my friend said, referring to the oil.I was young, naive and mostly thought the oil rigs were ugly.

"If the drilling is safe, how is there oil on the beach?" I wondered aloud. My friend, who had lived in and loved Santa Barbara, generously tried not to patronize me and shrugged."That's a good question," she said.

It is easy to blame BP. It's even easier to demand that they fix the problem. The problem, though, is not just the oil that is devastating the ocean, but our demand for it -- and our demand for an entire way of life. We use the oil. It's supply and demand. We need to stop being so demanding, use what's available on land and stop stealing from the ocean because of our desire for more. There is no more.

BP made a massive mistake -- with horrific consequences -- but the blame is ours, and it is time to own that.

We have had time to change. Not enough people have been willing to change, however, even though the changes are simple, really: Make fewer trips to the grocery store. Eliminate unnecessary errands. Ride with friends. Use public transportation, bike or walk. Live in and support our neighborhoods. Drive efficient cars no bigger than we need. Stop chauffeuring our children to a different lesson several nights a week. Travel less, or closer to home.

Our world is in crisis for no other reason than our consumption. When we can begin to use no more than we need, we can begin to change our environment and future.

There was, in fact, an oil spill in Santa Barbara, in 1969, that many credit for igniting the environmental movement. In eleven days, 200,000 gallons of crude oil spilled from a disabled oil rig.

If you happen to be in Santa Barbara, take a walk on the beach. Look out at those oil rigs in the ocean, and as you wipe the residue off of your feet, ask yourself how we could have ever allowed them to be out there to begin with.

next: Will Ferrell's 'Elf' Will Become a Broadway Musical
singapore pet food March 1, 2011, 5:06 AM

Great publish, thank you so much for sharing. Do you have an RSS feed I can subscribe to?

StarCraft 2 Guide March 1, 2011, 5:15 AM

Thanks a lot for being the lecturer on this area. I actually enjoyed your own article quite definitely and most of all enjoyed the way you handled the areas I thought to be controversial. You are always incredibly kind to readers much like me and let me in my living. Thank you.

Aquarium kaufen March 5, 2011, 12:38 AM

My spouse and i actually just like the article with your current web site all in all!

vigrx pills March 5, 2011, 3:46 AM

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

Julee Lavesque March 5, 2011, 1:28 PM

I certainly did not realize that. Learnt a thing new nowadays! Thanks for that.

sky March 6, 2011, 8:09 AM

Hello, i cant find your twitter account on site, can you send, i want became ur follower in twitter

chicken pox statistics March 7, 2011, 7:53 PM

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

vimax March 8, 2011, 2:17 AM

Wow, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and actual effort to make a good post… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never appear to get something done.

Master Cleanses March 8, 2011, 7:27 PM

When I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any manner you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

Reisen Tuerkei March 9, 2011, 12:24 AM

I loved as much as you will receive carried out proper here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly once more since exactly the same nearly a lot usually inside case you shield this increase.

Joyce O. House March 9, 2011, 9:50 AM

Many thanks

nem alma cihazi March 9, 2011, 8:43 PM

dehumidifying device, and mobile air conditioning systems. house, pool and industrial-type dehumidifying devices.

vimax March 10, 2011, 11:32 AM

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

regeneracja bosch vp44 March 10, 2011, 5:23 PM

There are some fascinating time limits in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

LED TVs March 11, 2011, 8:31 AM

Thank you for making the honest strive to give an explanation for this. I think very robust approximately it and would like to be told more. If it’s OK, as you reach more intensive wisdom, could you thoughts adding more posts very similar to this one with additional info? It will be extraordinarily helpful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

Allen Destree March 11, 2011, 2:42 PM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

vimax March 11, 2011, 7:00 PM

Hrmm that was weird, my comment got eaten. Anyway I wanted to say that it’s nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the first place that told me the answer. Thanks.

cieaura March 11, 2011, 9:34 PM

Whoa you are to the “dot” we shall bookmark on Twitter in addition to Bebo thanks

vigrx March 12, 2011, 6:09 AM

Donte Tehney March 12, 2011, 12:49 PM

I like this article very much. I will definitely be back. Hope that I can read much more informative posts then. Will be sharing your wisdom with all of my friends!