Chris Brown Should Win an Emmy for His BET Award Show Performance

Kimberly Seals Allers: Of all of the performances at Sunday night's BET Awards -- good, bad or "What the bleep were they thinking?!" -- no one put on more of a show than Chris Brown. I'm not talking about his utterly genius dance tribute to Michael Jackson. (You would've easily thought that silhouette belonged to the Gloved One himself.) No, it was after the dancing that the show really started. Now, I watch the BET Awards for musical performances, not dramatic performances, so when Chris Brown broke into the worst dramatic rendition of "Please forgive me; look how sorry I am" -- complete with falling to the knees and over-the-top "I can't go on"-ness -- I had to double-check at one point to see if I had somehow accidentally switched over to the Daytime Emmy Awards, where you usually see such histrionics.

Chris Brown

At first, I thought, Is he crying over Michael Jackson's death one year later? I mean, we all love and miss MJ, but his own brother Jermaine was able to keep it together. Then I thought, Is he crying because "Man in the Mirror" is a self-reflective tune and he may not like the way he's looking in the mirror of late? Possibly. But the longer it went on, it seemed really clear that this was an artfully contrived attempt at made-for-TV forgiveness via falls to the floor, snot-wiping and major boohooing. Is this the new product placement -- emotional outpourings by fallen stars?

What really bothered me was that the performance was supposed to be about Michael Jackson, not Chris Brown. Chris Brown, somehow you took MJ's moment and used it for yourself! Not cool. But congrats to your publicity/crisis-management team. They have earned their high fees -- and whatever other checks you cut to pull off that spectacle. Look at your buzz now! Finally, you can push those pesky pictures of Rihanna's battered face down off page one of your Google results.

By the way, the L.A. Times has been conducting an online poll asking if Chris Brown was faking it at the BET Awards. At the time of this writing, 33 percent of respondents (or 2,913 voters) believed Chris was thinking only of Jackson and was choked up by his death. Twenty-seven percent (or 2,416 voters) said Chris was 100 percent faking a breakdown in order to get sympathy. Nineteen percent (or 1,648 voters) said Chris was 50 percent upset over Jackson and 50 percent freaked out because he was performing legitimately again.

As far as I'm concerned, Chris Brown was really crying (and still is) over that lightweight singer Trey Songz' stepping in and dominating his domain, taking over all of his swooning tweeny-bopper fans, while Brown has been cleaning highways for community service and trying to act contrite about beating up our Princess RiRi. Meanwhile, Trey has nary a Chris Brown-like dance move to be found -- and hasn't needed one. (Oh, and memo to BET: Please do not ever, ever again let a young'un like Trey Songz -- with his breath still smelling of Similac and a voice as weak as a newborn's neck -- sing a tribute to a musical genius and giant like Prince. Prince should have beaten Trey with a purple guitar for his off-key "tribute" performance.) But I digress.

The best thing Chris Brown said was when he came back out, acting (again!) very surprised to have beaten out Justin Bieber and Trey Songz for the AOL Fandemonium Award. "I let you all down before, but I won't do it again," he said. "I promise you." That's real, Chris. Thank you.

Listen, black people are extremely forgiving. (Ask O.J. and Michael Vick.) But we are not stupid. Don't let us down again on that one, either.

next: Forbes' Most Powerful Celeb Moms
eshaneua June 29, 2010, 11:30 AM

AND SEAN PENN ACTUALLY WON AN OSCAR FOR HIS PERFORMANCE IN MILK!!! HE WAS A WOMAN BEATER TOO, YOU KNOW! OR HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE FACT THAT HE BEAT THE BRAKES OFF MADONNA ON A REGULAR BASIS?

eshaneua June 29, 2010, 11:32 AM

Branish Reese June 29, 2010, 11:38 AM

Are you serious? Come on! We all know that Chris deserves second chance. I mean hes only human. Give him a flippin break! You talk as if youve never made a mistake before. You act as if he committed murder. For once, just let the man be!

lexi June 29, 2010, 11:40 AM

I guess everyone gets paid for what they do otherwise they probably wouldn’t do their jobs, or we wouldn’t be reading this article. Well this is “my free opinion” about Chris Brown’s performance the other night. How simple minded and hateful must the media be to think that Chris Brown would disrespect the Jackson family like this. I do not believe that this was a pre-meditated outcome. It is my whole hearted belief that this was sincere. I also believe that this wasn’t totally about Michael Jackson; i believe that it started that way and with emotions behind Michael Jackson’s death led to deeper emotions that Chris Brown was dealing with over the past year. I also feel that everyone should keep their negative opinions about if was fake to themselves becasue this is not only disrespectful to him but to the legendary king of pop and his family.

Me June 29, 2010, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, these people dont care about disrespecting MJ. They did everything they could to make his life a living hell and twisted every good thing he did. They were relentless! Sound familiar? I guess they ARE making Chris the new MJ. If he even breathes, he’s wrong for doing it. The faux outrage over the incident is a ruse…to detract from the fact that they are racists. If they weren’t, they would also eternally condemn the older,famous repeat-offenders in their own race…but they don’t.

Just met June 29, 2010, 11:50 AM

Btw, this is a MOM site and you write some crap like this? HAHA! No wonder today’s kids are less intelligent and screwed up.

P.King June 29, 2010, 12:02 PM

My My we are so quick to judge…….As I watched Chris Brown the first thing I stated was he has redeemed himself. Yes what he did to Ms.Rihanna was wrong but who are we to judge, we do not have the right to sit high and look low. So be it fake or real I say to Chris Brown just be true to yourself for you know in your heart the real answer to the madness.

Fave June 29, 2010, 12:06 PM

Judge not lest we be judged. Take all the polls you want, but only God and Chris know what’s in his heart. That’s my opinion and there are sooooo many unrevealed and overlooked domestic abusers who get by and/or get a pass. It’s about TOTAL healing - and I choose to uplift my brother and pray he gets the wisdom and maturity he NEEDS to accompany his talent — rather than dissect his sincerity.

That’s my .02

MS LINDA June 29, 2010, 12:10 PM

you must be one of the charmed ones because you sound like the biggest clown in town seann beat madonna tommie beat pam and charlie beat and still is beating and shot a woman and charlie wives faces were worst then rhinna so is charlie better then chris chris had one fight with his x girlfreind who is behind this for you to put this on the internet because yes freedom of speech but this is foolish who is behind this believe me you is no role model how you is going to tell your sons or dau. if they do something they do not get another chance becaue you’l children don’t fight your children kills so moms what’s up with this you should be moms in the mirror

Anonymous June 29, 2010, 12:12 PM

what kaind of mom are you???????????????????????

SandeePB June 29, 2010, 12:16 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself, Kimberly Seals Allers. YOU ARE POISON AND EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD. THIS CAN’T BE A MOM SITE. I WOULD NEVER SPEAK SO HORRIBLY ABOUT A YOUNG MAN WHO IS TRYING SO HARD TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS. CHRIS BROWN IS A MUCH BETTER PERSON THAN YOU!

WestG June 29, 2010, 12:18 PM

Your a joke, please stop harassing others. Maybe you should put your life in the spot light on a stage of thousands and we can all write articles on it.

Tolerationno June 29, 2010, 12:22 PM

Other celebs have done further worse and you choose to write about a young man (who has made a mistake and Rhianna herself has forgiven him) with a promising future in front of him… smh.. you should consider removing this.

Justin Talley June 29, 2010, 12:24 PM

If this isnt some of the DUMBEST stuff ive read all day. You must do not have a heart. Yes I dont support domestic violence but everyone deserves a second chance. Look at yourself as the “woman in the mirror” and you wont find a woman that can judge others because your imperfect just like everyone else. And you can take your racist comments somewhere else to. Im surprised people read your garbage.

Emma June 29, 2010, 12:24 PM

I think the whole thing was so fake and over the top as well. I thought he was more honest when he said “to my fans, I’ve let you down once but i won’t do it again i promise”. You can tell he meant that but the whole crying and all over the place it was too much.

Truth June 29, 2010, 12:27 PM

Kimberly you must be perfect in every aspect of your life to judge his emotional breakdown so harshly. He was punished by the courts, his career suffered, he lost endorsements, endured public humiliation, and was not able to participate at all last year to honor the late and great King of Pop. Rihanna has forgiven him and moved on with her life. He should be allowed to move on too. Yes black people are forgiving just like God asked everyone to be. You meantioned O. J. and Micheal Vick but left off white people and slavery since we are bringing up the past. I suggest you get off your high horse and ask God for a little forgiveness yourself and be willing to show mercy because if this article is a reflection of how you judges others you are going to need it. The person he actually hurt let it go and so should you. I bet your entire house is made of glass but you seem to own some pretty big rocks.

AmberW June 29, 2010, 12:32 PM

You being a mother and writing this article oh my, I can’t wait to see how well your children grow up; because under the care of someone who is twisted like you, it will be very interesting indeed.

HappyIAmNOTYou June 29, 2010, 12:32 PM

LOGIC FAIL

Just Me June 29, 2010, 12:35 PM

You people who take Chris Brown’s side is ridiculous! Chris brown deserves the worst, this stupid woman beater. Rihanna is the best and she didn’t deserve what Chris Brown did to her. Now he might of been serious about Micheal Jackson but i dont believe it. Anybody who lays their hands on woman should be put away for life NOT Red Carpet treatment like some of you give him. I mean Common now, WAKE UP to reality people.

Amber June 29, 2010, 12:35 PM

You have got to be ridiculous to try to patronize someone for trying to recover from a mistake. How dare you even post a entire article to criticize someone who chocked up during a song that is all about correcting self image. I hope God doesn’t give up on YOU like you’re giving up on someone else! Smh! Bless YOU ALL!