Chris Brown Should Win an Emmy for His BET Award Show Performance

Kimberly Seals Allers: Of all of the performances at Sunday night's BET Awards -- good, bad or "What the bleep were they thinking?!" -- no one put on more of a show than Chris Brown. I'm not talking about his utterly genius dance tribute to Michael Jackson. (You would've easily thought that silhouette belonged to the Gloved One himself.) No, it was after the dancing that the show really started. Now, I watch the BET Awards for musical performances, not dramatic performances, so when Chris Brown broke into the worst dramatic rendition of "Please forgive me; look how sorry I am" -- complete with falling to the knees and over-the-top "I can't go on"-ness -- I had to double-check at one point to see if I had somehow accidentally switched over to the Daytime Emmy Awards, where you usually see such histrionics.

Chris Brown

At first, I thought, Is he crying over Michael Jackson's death one year later? I mean, we all love and miss MJ, but his own brother Jermaine was able to keep it together. Then I thought, Is he crying because "Man in the Mirror" is a self-reflective tune and he may not like the way he's looking in the mirror of late? Possibly. But the longer it went on, it seemed really clear that this was an artfully contrived attempt at made-for-TV forgiveness via falls to the floor, snot-wiping and major boohooing. Is this the new product placement -- emotional outpourings by fallen stars?

What really bothered me was that the performance was supposed to be about Michael Jackson, not Chris Brown. Chris Brown, somehow you took MJ's moment and used it for yourself! Not cool. But congrats to your publicity/crisis-management team. They have earned their high fees -- and whatever other checks you cut to pull off that spectacle. Look at your buzz now! Finally, you can push those pesky pictures of Rihanna's battered face down off page one of your Google results.

By the way, the L.A. Times has been conducting an online poll asking if Chris Brown was faking it at the BET Awards. At the time of this writing, 33 percent of respondents (or 2,913 voters) believed Chris was thinking only of Jackson and was choked up by his death. Twenty-seven percent (or 2,416 voters) said Chris was 100 percent faking a breakdown in order to get sympathy. Nineteen percent (or 1,648 voters) said Chris was 50 percent upset over Jackson and 50 percent freaked out because he was performing legitimately again.

As far as I'm concerned, Chris Brown was really crying (and still is) over that lightweight singer Trey Songz' stepping in and dominating his domain, taking over all of his swooning tweeny-bopper fans, while Brown has been cleaning highways for community service and trying to act contrite about beating up our Princess RiRi. Meanwhile, Trey has nary a Chris Brown-like dance move to be found -- and hasn't needed one. (Oh, and memo to BET: Please do not ever, ever again let a young'un like Trey Songz -- with his breath still smelling of Similac and a voice as weak as a newborn's neck -- sing a tribute to a musical genius and giant like Prince. Prince should have beaten Trey with a purple guitar for his off-key "tribute" performance.) But I digress.

The best thing Chris Brown said was when he came back out, acting (again!) very surprised to have beaten out Justin Bieber and Trey Songz for the AOL Fandemonium Award. "I let you all down before, but I won't do it again," he said. "I promise you." That's real, Chris. Thank you.

Listen, black people are extremely forgiving. (Ask O.J. and Michael Vick.) But we are not stupid. Don't let us down again on that one, either.

next: Forbes' Most Powerful Celeb Moms
MacKenzie June 29, 2010, 9:46 PM

Wow…. There are really alot of ignorant ppl!! I in no way condone violence against women, but I serve a God who gives second chances. For we all have fallen short to the glory of God in some way! We should not cast stones.. If we would take a look in the mirror ourselves we will find ourselves to be imperfect. I really believe this kid is trying and its not up to us to judge! We should forgive, let go and move on!! MJ died a year ago and I still cried by clips and videos.. True MJ fans would know that The Man in The Mirror was his theme after his death and it was actually played at the end of his funeral when his casket was taken out of the staples center!! Know what you are talking about before you speak!! Be Blessed!!

yoshe  June 29, 2010, 10:01 PM

Now everyone know’s that the media likes to create drama. Chris Brown was off the hook and that’s all to it. Yes he cried but who is to say that he was not emotional. Please…give it a rest already. Both Rhianna and Chris will be just fine. When are people going to let it go. No one is making it okay for him to do what he did but it’s not okay for her either. He was great and no matter how negative the media is you can not take away the fact that Chris is talented and a amazing artist and he rocked the hell out of Michael Jackson.. Be strong Chris and don’t listen to the negative bull and keep it moving.. you still have many fans out there who believe in you and Rhianna has her fans too. Learn from your mistake and keep it moving.. good luck

Mab June 29, 2010, 10:21 PM

Did you actually say black people are very forgiving? Really…Wow! So I guess you missed that contract, raise and standing ovation Charlie Sheen received after this umpteenth brush with the law. By the way Charlie’s not giving an apology, he’s already been forgiven without it. SMDH Nope won’t be coming back here!

Terri June 30, 2010, 7:27 AM

If it hadn’t been Rihanna, if Chris Brown had beat some random woman that nobody knows, then no one would care and he would’ve appeared at the BET awards last year. I wish people would stop acting like they are against abuse when really they are against abuse towards gorgeous celebrities.

LovChris June 30, 2010, 8:43 AM

God forgave Chris and so did I. We love you, Chris. Your performance was a real tribute to Micheal and his family. You made them proud also your fans. Do not worry about what people say or think because you can not please everyone. There are people out their who likes to keep drama going and thats how they get their kicks. You made TV worth looking at that night. We hope to see and hear more of you. Your performance was the best ever in a long longtime. We miss you so much. Stay positive and keep doing your thing. Your talents is amazing!

MJ&&CBFan(: June 30, 2010, 8:52 AM

It’s amazing how some people can judge Chris on his mistake with Rihanna but think that they are perfect. I’m not saying that hitting a woman is right but there have been stories saying she had something to do with it. She has to stop playing the victim card and move on, because Chris has. Another thing, if Chris brown didn’t cry would half of you still be complaining about his performance?

Ambass June 30, 2010, 12:10 PM

Reporting article to Acts of Policy of United States of America.

Ahmed Abdulganiyu July 1, 2010, 8:51 AM

I luv chris brown as my best musician.

HOPE July 1, 2010, 12:36 PM

IM SICK OF ALL THE STICK GIVEN TO CHRIS BROWN IN AN ATTEMPT FOR YOU JOURNALIST TO GET SOME “FAME” FOR YOURSELVES. LEAVE THE MAN ALONE HE HAS PAID FOR HIS MISTAKES, WHY IS RHIANNA ALLOWED TO THROW THE FIRST PUNCH WITHOUT ANY REPERCUSSION, IS IT BECAUSE SHE WASN’T STRONG ENOUGH TO BATTER CHRIS.. GIVE THE MAN A BREAK.. GOD BLESS YOU CHRIS BROWN YOU ARE REDEEMED..

okayokay July 1, 2010, 7:46 PM

I wouldn’t say that Chris made a mistake. I would say he made a very bad choice. When things were heating up, he could have made a different choice that could have kept things safer for all those involved. With that said, we all have made some negative choices, and we have had to pay for them. The main thing is if one learns from those bad choices. Hopefully Chris has learned. The public is surely teaching him a hard lesson. I don’t have an option to forgive him, because #1-I’m not God and #2-He didn’t do anything to me personally. I think those involved, should be the one whose forgiveness he deserves. Rihanna has forgiven and moved on. The public should do the same.

A July 27, 2010, 9:36 PM

JAY ZVBEAT THAT YOUNG GIRL IN THE FACE SO WHAT ARE YOULL GOIN TO SAY ABOUT THAT LOOK ON U TUBE