Eight Reasons Kyron Horman's Stepmom Might Be Guilty

Attorney Robin Sax: As momlogic reported this morning, Kaine Horman (Kyron Horman's father) filed for divorce from Terri Moulton Horman yesterday. He also served her with a restraining order.

My first reaction to the Kyron Horman disappearance was, "We don't have to automatically blame the stepmom without any evidence." In the case of a missing kid (in any case, actually), it is critical not to rush to judgment and cast blame until due diligence is gathered.

Terri Moulton Horman

There are two ways to approach a case. One is where we look at evidence to lead us to a perp, and the other is where we look at a perp and dig for evidence. It is always best practice to look at the evidence naturally, weighing the inner circles first and moving outward from there.

At this point in the investigation, I think suspicions about stepmom Terri Horman are more than warranted, as the evidence is stacking up in the court of opinion. While Terri is not officially a suspect or person of interest on any law enforcement lists (yet), I do believe she is very much a person of public interest.

Let us examine some of the known facts gathered in the last weeks:

1) Terri was the last person to be with Kyron before he disappeared almost a month ago.

2) Terri was the person who reported Kyron missing.

3) The police said that the community "need not be in fear for their kids' safety." (This is a strong indicator that the police don't believe a deranged predator is on the loose, and that, rather, they view Kyron's disappearance as an isolated incident -- i.e., he may have known the person who took him, and there may be a unique motivation for this specific crime.)

4) Soon after Kyron vanished, Terri allegedly wrote on her Facebook page that she was "hitting the gym." It should be noted that officials told the family to "continue their normal routine"; however, if her state of mind was truly grief-stricken, wouldn't you expect a post like "talking a walk..." or "trying to work out today" -- something softer than "hitting the gym," which just sounds so flippant and normal? Compare Terri's statement to the one made in the open letter Desiree Young (Kyron's biological mother) wrote to her son right after he went missing. Desiree -- who did not have custody of the boy, but saw him every weekend -- expressed to Kyron how much she missed him and just wanted to hug him. Now, please do not misunderstand me. I am a stepmom myself, so I know just how much love a stepmom can have for her kids. I'm not suggesting it has anything to do with the "step" part of Terri's mom-title. Just look at their different behaviors, and you'll see a significant difference in their reactions.

5) Terri has been grilled extensively by police, and her car has been taken in for evidence. This definitely raises eyebrows for me.

6) Investigators in the case determined that Terri may not have been where she professed to be when Kyron vanished. Instead of being at Kyron's school, cell-phone records indicate that Terri was actually on Sauvie Island, which is located five miles from the boy's school. Law enforcement officials have been searching that area for about a week.

7) Right after Kyron went missing, Terri sent her biological older son, James, to be with his biological father. This seemed like an odd move. I am not making judgments on how people cope with the tragedy of a missing child, but that action would be convenient if Terri wanted to be rid of her responsibilities as a mom (sounds awful, but this happens). We must weigh this type of circumstantial evidence very carefully.

8) Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, hasn't come out in support of Terri. In contrast, and perhaps even disturbingly, he served her with a restraining order and divorce papers yesterday (as mentioned above). That is the ultimate isolating move in a relationship. If Kaine believed Terri was innocent, wouldn't they be standing strong together ...? This is the most damaging "evidence" of all (evidence of discord between the two people who, seemingly, should know each other best). If Kaine doesn't trust Terri at this moment and wants her out of his life -- what are we to think?

In summary, I hope you will carefully review the evidence -- as I always do -- before coming to conclusions. When this story first hit the airwaves, I cautioned people not to judge the stepmom without the facts. I now humbly ask you to weigh her actions based only on the current facts.

next: What Will You Do With Your '168 Hours'?
KYSue June 30, 2010, 9:03 PM

I don’t understand why the biological father did not attend the science fair with Kyron esp. since he works for Intel as an engineer. And he didn’t help Kyron on the project. Usually this would have been a male bonding experience for father and son. Something was not right in the Hormon household.

Hormanology June 30, 2010, 11:51 PM

Robin, on #8, here’s what happened: James lives with his father in Roseburg and has lived in Roseburg since Terri sent him there in January 2010. He was visiting his mother for the week—arrived at the Horman house the day after Kyron went missing. While at the Hormans, James was talking on the phone with his father on June 8, and told his father that Terri had taken a polygraph test, which infuriated her. Ron removed James from the situation after that.

barbara  July 1, 2010, 6:01 AM

monkey see monkey doo…..every time a child goes missing and its televised another one goes missing …baby cummings ,baby anthony and what about that little boy who was so handsome that the news showed a little and now theres no talk about him weres his mom were is he she was last seen at hotel with …come on every time its showed and babies arent found woohoo the scums think they did why cant we …sorry but lock them up throw the keys away they deserve nothing eye for an eye …you rape a baby cut off all body parts that a sex offender can use baby murderes murder them the same way torcher them like these babies get torchered its awful if you dont want a child dont spread ur legs or give it to some one who can love and care for it ..sick world very sick

Smiley July 1, 2010, 1:49 PM

I agree with “M”. Give the stepmom a break. Save all your comments for when it is proven that she is the guilty one. Com’on people the grief this family is going through. Have a little more compassion. If it is found that she did it…it will eventually come out; you can crucify her then; but for now, geez, give her a break; I’m sure you all wouldn’t want to be accuse if your child came up missing. Remember the little girl Riley, who’s father was incarcerated unjustly!

IntelInside July 2, 2010, 6:02 PM

I found the most telling was 2 days before Father’s Day she announces “It will be the first Father’s day without him.” This is very much like the Casey Anthony case - which there was a Father’s Day issue. I knew right after I saw her pathetic fake mourning she did something. No doubt. She looked down to the ground while her husband would not really look at her. She wanted to have a life without Kyron. He suspected it. Then I thought “I bet she did this on Friday to have the weekend ALONE.” YEP, it was a Friday. Detectives are usually off duty and this is one woman who loves CSI! She knows to “act mournful” and to make sure no camera’s are around-most importantly…to ping your cell phone around to everywhere you won’t be…and make sure it is garbage day. My best bet is the landfill and he went into a dumpster. Bodies of water too risky. As far as the school-I bet anything she asked him to come back out to the truck and get something, or get something from his desk. All to make sure no one was paying attention. My only question is HOW did she do it? It was fast-whatever the method. The cops are only saying they feel he is alive to throw her off. I hope they go through the landfill. That is the hardest one to ever prove-she knows it. And WHY she made sure she said “hunt in the woods.” Goose chase at the Island while your at it!

IntelInside July 2, 2010, 6:12 PM

I am sure she comforted her husband she would do the Science Fair thing. Terri is so controlling if you read her Facebook activity-she had to go through every comment and hit “like.” Not just a few - every one of them. And also did this that Friday also. Not to mention posting “out of nowhere” the science photos when all other photos were of her daughter until that point. The husband did the right thing, and the hardest thing. He stepped out of her locus of CONTROL. She is a female Drew Peterson and when a kid is missing - we can rush to something.

Sheller July 3, 2010, 8:25 AM

Geocaching sites on Sauvie Island, was the family participating in those? Clothing optional beach on Sauvie Island, did the bodybuilder go there ever to get that all over tan?
Hope police check that beach location.

Anonymous July 4, 2010, 1:03 PM

Although she probably did it, make sure your facts are correct. Her biological son had moved in with his father BEFORE the incident and was visiting when this happened. Rather than put him through the chaos his father decided it was good for him to return home. Check the Willamette Week for the article and make sure you do your research before writing articles. Oh wait i guess that’s what “momlogic” allows.

Jordan July 4, 2010, 7:44 PM

The latest is a landscaper who said she attempted to hire him to kill her husband six or seven months ago.

JC July 5, 2010, 1:45 AM

Something is definitely up. You could tell from the media coverage from the beginning.

It’s a sad fact, but kids go missing fairly often. It’s not always a news story.

But when it is covered as heavily from the beginning, as this one was, you can almost bet there is a strange angle to it. It seems that Terri Horman is the reason.

pink July 9, 2010, 7:26 AM

Agrees 100% with Candy

Just a Mom July 9, 2010, 8:46 AM

No one is mentioning the fact that the dad let this woman in his kids life. The family life was so that this woman may have killed his son. Did he not see a problem? She is what she is but parents need to start stepping up and protecting their kids from others. Get over yourself and think of your children. I find it hard to believe that she didn’t show signs of dislike for the kid. Fry the dad along with her.

Concerned Cannuck July 9, 2010, 11:57 AM

This story is becoming weirder and weirder. Why would someone who was approached by a woman interested in having them kill her husband wait almost a year to report it to the police? And, if the police are so concerned about the welfare of the dad that they had to tell him of the allegations, why isn’t the stepmom under arrest? If they had the “proof” to approach the father, why don’t they have the “proof” to arrest her? This looks like a classic police ploy called “isolate the suspect.” Take away everything they have - their spouse, children, home, support network, family. And then pounce. If the person actually is guilty, looks good. But, if the person isn’t, you’ve just destroyed them and their family. I’ve been spending a lot of time playing devil’s advocate on this one — even if I knew I was innocent, I’m not sure I would be able to survive having a child missing, having my community accuse me of being involved, having my husband leave me, having my baby taken from me with no contact allowed, being accused of trying to hire someone to kill him, having my friends abandon me, being kicked out of my home, etc, etc. Especially if I had been experiencing postpartum depression (as alleged by the husband in The Oregonian). I hate to think what kind of damage will result if it turns out this woman didn’t do anything. What would that say about humanity?

Dee July 9, 2010, 1:49 PM

Doesn’t anybody find kyrons fathers actions odd as well. I wouldn’t want attention diverted from the actual search of my son by a public divorce. I get why he’s leaving her but now people are now too busy picking apart the details to look for the boy. It reminds me of Jaycee dugard. Her stepdad was the prime suspect up until they found her. Unfortunatly people were so busy with the parents personal lives that eventually they forgot to look for her. It just seems odd to me.
I also thought “stepmom did it” for a while but now I’m doubting it. If he wanted out of the marriage with no strings and both kids this would be perfect. I just hope that kyrons with a relative somewhere.

Em is Em July 9, 2010, 6:48 PM

OK so I recently had a discussion w/ my boyfriend and came up with a sort of crazy “what if..” and I want to see if I’m the only one thinking this.

So, Terri sent her son to live w/ his dad in Jan 2010, which was 6 months ago, and the landscaper said she propositioned him to kill Kaine 6-7 months ago also. She apparently told him Kaine “hurt” her. Has anybody thought of the possibility that Kaine is/was abusive to her son? She sent her own son away because of problems. Did Kaine abuse her? What about Kyron? Maybe the stepmom did take Kyron, but maybe she took him somewhere ‘safe’ and planned to join him with the baby sister? Maybe that’s why she only seemed (in some peoples’ opinions) slightly upset, because she knew he was protected? This is of course just a wild idea.

I know everybody hates the stepmom and just the fact that she is a “step” parent makes her guilty in so many peoples’ eyes (thank you Disney & other movie houses for that). But what if it’s not her at all? What if Kaine had something to do with it? Nobody knows for sure, and people pass/fail lie detector tests all the time.

I have a real problem with the way the dad’s story about the day Kyron went missing has started to sound more and more “perfect.” Per the statement released by him and the mother, he hugged and kissed Kyron goodbye that day, told him how proud he was about the project, promised to take him out for ice cream later, and then they were going to play Wii! As a parent, I know that most mornings, even special mornings where a kid has a big event happening, aren’t so picture perfect. There’s a rush to get breakfast eaten, make sure kids are dressed and have schoolwork, etc. Or maybe I’m just not as good a parent.

Did they release anything about WHY Kaine only worked a half day that day? Have they questioned the school about whether or not he was seen there at any point that day? Maybe it’s possible he went to pick up Kyron early.. and something happened? Just saying.

Anyway, I do not know if the stepmom is guilty or not, because I am not her. I do hope she isn’t, and I hope the child is safe. The more days pass, the less likely a positive outcome seems. But, stranger things have happened, so I will continue to hope for the best.

jennnn10 July 9, 2010, 8:43 PM

here are my thoughts…: first of all WHY is nobody looking at BIO MOM?????? WHY????
we can’t try and guess by their demeanor and reactios to this tragedy but are we expetts? NO.

I think that the marriage was troubled to begin with and am starting to look at the bio parents with suspicion. Further, there is a REASON they refuse to name terri as a suspect.

Where was bio mom that morning?? whats with dad leaving work early?? and why wasnt he at the science fair? its one of the three and im praying that kyron is alive and hidden somewhere. just mark my words.

karen July 11, 2010, 10:36 AM

According to various news reports the reason why kaine filed for a divorce from and a restraining order against terri is because law enforcement informed him that terri had tried to hire someone to murder back in dec or so. That plot just came to light

Mercy July 13, 2010, 3:41 PM

Kaine was at Intel until approx. 1:15 and came home 1:30-1:45. Terry came home from errands at 1:00. They both went to the bus stop at 3:30. Kaine, Desiree & her husband all took polygraphs and passed the first time. TH took 3. 2 she did not pass and the 3rd she walked out. I would not believe anything that TH or her friends say. It was said she helped at the school and more than two people who are continual volunteers said she was never there and no one knows her. Also it was Desirees weekend to have Kyron, 6/5 & 6/6.Also all of Th stories are conflicting for the 4 hours before she was home. Nothing is matching.If she cared for Kyron she would be doing all she could, no matter who said what. When you love, you truly love and not think of yourself.
Also her accusation of Kaine has already been investigated and LE said there is no affair on his part. These are made up stories to cover her own actions. Any person who would even try to hire another to kill their spouse, will do just about anything.

God is blessing you Kyron!

jennnn10 July 16, 2010, 1:19 PM

im starting to lose hope and there is no news except junk about her stupid sexting and the husband kicking her out…where is that sweet little boy???

jennnn10 July 17, 2010, 8:33 PM

It just occured to me that the reason shes not caving is because he’s not alive and she hopes it will just all go away. she certainly wouldnt stow him away somewhere and run off to collect him to be with her…im sick over this.and it doesnt look like they’re even looking anywhere else for him!