Eight Reasons Kyron Horman's Stepmom Might Be Guilty

Attorney Robin Sax: As momlogic reported this morning, Kaine Horman (Kyron Horman's father) filed for divorce from Terri Moulton Horman yesterday. He also served her with a restraining order.

My first reaction to the Kyron Horman disappearance was, "We don't have to automatically blame the stepmom without any evidence." In the case of a missing kid (inany case, actually), it is critical not to rush to judgment and cast blame until due diligence is gathered.

Terri Moulton Horman

There are two ways to approach a case. One is where we look at evidence to lead us to a perp, and the other is where we look at a perp and dig for evidence. It is always best practice to look at the evidence naturally, weighing the inner circles first and moving outward from there.

At this point in the investigation, I think suspicions about stepmom Terri Horman are more than warranted, as the evidence is stacking up in the court of opinion. While Terri is not officially a suspect or person of interest on any law enforcement lists (yet), I do believe she is very much a person of public interest.

Let us examine some of the known facts gathered in the last weeks:

1) Terri was the last person to be with Kyron before he disappeared almost a month ago.

2) Terri was the person who reported Kyron missing.

3) The police said that the community "need not be in fear for their kids' safety." (This is a strong indicator that the police don't believe a deranged predator is on the loose, and that, rather, they view Kyron's disappearance as an isolated incident -- i.e., he may have known the person who took him, and there may be a unique motivation for this specific crime.)

4) Soon after Kyron vanished, Terri allegedly wrote on her Facebook page that she was "hitting the gym." It should be noted that officials told the family to "continue their normal routine"; however, if her state of mind was truly grief-stricken, wouldn't you expect a post like "talking a walk..." or "trying to work out today" -- something softer than "hitting the gym," which just sounds so flippant and normal? Compare Terri's statement to the one made in the open letter Desiree Young (Kyron's biological mother) wrote to her son right after he went missing. Desiree -- who did not have custody of the boy, but saw him every weekend -- expressed to Kyron how much she missed him and just wanted to hug him. Now, please do not misunderstand me. I am a stepmom myself, so I know just how much love a stepmom can have for her kids. I'm not suggesting it has anything to do with the "step" part of Terri's mom-title. Just look at their different behaviors, and you'll see a significant difference in their reactions.

5) Terri has been grilled extensively by police, and her car has been taken in for evidence. This definitely raises eyebrows for me.

6) Investigators in the case determined that Terrimay not have been where she professed to be when Kyron vanished.Instead of being at Kyron's school, cell-phone records indicate that Terri was actually on Sauvie Island, which is located five miles from the boy's school. Law enforcement officials have been searching that area for about a week.

7) Right after Kyron went missing, Terri sent her biological older son, James, to be with his biological father. This seemed like an odd move. I am not making judgments on how people cope with the tragedy of a missing child, but that action would be convenient if Terri wanted to be rid of her responsibilities as a mom (sounds awful, but this happens). We must weigh this type of circumstantial evidence very carefully.

8) Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, hasn't come out in support of Terri. In contrast, and perhaps even disturbingly, he served her with a restraining order and divorce papers yesterday (as mentioned above). That is the ultimate isolating move in a relationship. If Kaine believed Terri was innocent, wouldn't they be standing strong together ...? This is the most damaging "evidence" of all (evidence of discord between the two people who, seemingly, should know each other best). If Kaine doesn't trust Terri at this moment and wants her out of his life -- what are we to think?

In summary, I hope you will carefully review the evidence -- as I always do -- before coming to conclusions. When this story first hit the airwaves, I cautioned people not to judge the stepmom without the facts. I now humbly ask you to weigh her actions based only on the current facts.

next: What Will You Do With Your '168 Hours'?
lyladuong July 19, 2010, 7:13 PM

If Terri the stepmom not guilty then she
would do everything in her power to find
little Kyron there is no need for her to
hire an attorney she should cooperate with
the authority talk talk talk to help find
Kyron . WHY ISN’T SHE TALKING ? She has that little daughter that she doesn’t get
to see and her other son

jennnn10 July 20, 2010, 3:05 PM

WHY IS NOBODY LOOKING AT BIO MOM????!!!!!

jennnn10 July 22, 2010, 5:41 PM

im telling you, its bio mom. just watch.

Bz July 23, 2010, 8:30 PM

Folks -

If there were evidence to arrest Terri - am quite sure it would have been done. What you all are doing is witch hunting. I have no clue whether or not she is guilty and neither do any of you.

Hitting a gym is not an indicator of guilt….have also read that her having “red hair” made her guilty too. GEEZ.

Does anyone here at all remember the case of Jaycee Dugard…. Well, her step father was guilty in everyone’s eyes too. If I have my facts straight - it seems that not only was she alive, but step dad was a really good guy who got witch hunted in the media, but the cops, neighbors and other people “who just knew” he was responsible.

There is a reason who there are trials by juries, and reasons why the part “without reasonable doubt” exists in criminal proceedings.

With the great “logic” given as the 8 reasons for wanting to string up the step mom, I really hope nobody here ever serves on any type of jury. You all seem to be lacking the common sense to serve.

Like I said - she may be guilty….and maybe she isn’t. Nobody here knows. One of you guys will provoke the person who will eventually “do street justice” on Terri…and her lawyer is advertising the fact that she is recieving tons of death threats. Then again - perhaps those death threats are coming from people here. I don’t know.

Just please think with a rational mind, ok?

jennnn10 July 28, 2010, 5:04 AM

i think its so pathetic and funny how she tries to hide behind the teensy tiny lawyer like shes not a giant ‘thing’ and we cant see her…like an elephant trying to hide behind a giraffe!!!

Monique July 29, 2010, 9:55 AM

So what do you guys think about Syler Newton?

jennnn10 July 29, 2010, 11:19 AM

just gonna say one more time ITS BIO MOM!!!
\
Terri horman is too dumb to defent herself and is doing whatever her lawyer says because shes too stupid to help herself and GOOD question: how is she paying this high powered attorney???

jennnn10 July 30, 2010, 2:39 PM

just watched the latest news conference with bio mom’s performance…why am i the only person that thinks this?

Anonymous August 17, 2010, 9:11 AM

Does the school has cameras?
every school should have cameras…I keep wondering that.

DANA August 22, 2010, 8:10 PM

I noticed how Terri held her head down on the first time she was shown in public, like she had something to hide. I think she may given Kyron to one of her friends that doesn’t live in the Portland area to keep for a while and didn’t think there would be so much ublicity about this. I agree with the mom that he is stashed somewhere. Does she have any ties with Seattle or do her friends have ties with people out of town. She could have persuaded them to keep Kyron by saying he was being abused at home and they thought they were doing Kyron a favor. I am praying very hard to answers in this case.

Donna November 14, 2010, 7:24 PM

I just read the story above and I thought her biological son had left before Kyron had gone missing. This leads me to believe is the 16 year old some how involved? Has he been interviewed.
Another theory is maybe her cell phone was in the sauvie area, but maybe she was in another area. Her friend could have been there. I feel if anything Terri could be taking up for her biological son. I hope this has been checked into…

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 7:25 PM

Interesting information. Thanks so much, have a good day!

valium December 1, 2010, 2:23 PM

Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share.

Etykietowanie December 4, 2010, 12:43 PM

Brilliant post. You know I just got back together with my ex and this blog just made me even happier.

Serwis obiadowy December 12, 2010, 11:28 AM

What a great blog. I spend days on the internet reading blogs, about tons of different subjects. I have to first of all give kudos to whoever created your website and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an amazing post. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only a few posses and frankly you have it. The combination of informative and quality content is definitely extremely rare with the large amount of blogs on the internet.

sleep apnea symptoms nhs December 12, 2010, 8:35 PM

Do you people have a facebook or twitter fan webpage? I looked for one on myspace but could not discover it, I’d really like to become a fan!

Kuchnie gastronomiczne December 15, 2010, 1:43 PM

Wow, interesting! Has anyone else come across the same thing compared to this? I am curious where to find more responses on this matter…

Insurance December 17, 2010, 12:45 PM

Hi mate, I bookmarked this awesome post. Can I post it on my website?

kasetony podświetlane December 21, 2010, 9:33 PM

Your joking, right?

kindle 3 g wireless December 22, 2010, 1:56 AM

Can you message me with any tips about how you made your website look this awesome, I’d appreciate it.