Elizabeth Edwards on Rielle Hunter, Sandra Bullock and Co-Parenting

In her first television interview since separating from husband John Edwards, Elizabeth Edwards addressed his affair and relationship with Rielle Hunter on "Today."

Here are some of the highlights:

• On John and her kids:"I have three living children for whom this is a father whom I want them to love, on whom they're going to have to rely, perhaps, if my disease takes a bad turn. It's really important to me that they see him in a positive light."
  • On rediscovering herself:"I'm not just a cuckolded wife. I think about Sandra Bullock -- who I don't know at all -- what an incredible year she's had. And yet, the stories you hear are not about all those great successes, but about the failure of her marriage. I thought, 'That's not who she is.' I don't know her, but I assume she wants to reclaim who she is in the same way I want to reclaim who I am."
  • On the possibility of not seeing her children grow up:"I don't let my head go to that place. You just have to keep what you want in view always. If I start thinking about, 'Well, what if it's not?' I think there might be a panic, because you think you're getting close to the end. I want to live at a normal cadence with my children."
  • On separating from John:"I've been married to John for nearly 33 years, been with him longer than that, and every time something monumental has happened in my life, and particularly the bad things, I've had him to lean on -- and that was no longer going to be the case. I can't go back to leaning on my parents. My father has died, my mother is not in a position to be leaned upon, and so I was going to be on my own in a way that I maybe haven't ever really been. And that was pretty terrifying, particularly faced with a disease, young children and a fairly uncertain future."
  • On the changes in John:"I think I did marry a marvelous man. I think he changed over time. I think it was sort of hard for me to see it or admit it for a very long time. But he changed. Maybe we all change over time. And he's no longer the person who I married. I still admire an enormous number of things about him. The things he cares about are things I think are important."
  • On their marriage:"[I thought], 'Did I waste my time in these years? Have I thrown this part of my life away, in a sense?' And I decided that I didn't, that maybe I didn't get the same things out of it I expected to, or that I thought I was at the time. But when I look back, there's really lots of blessings that I had. I've had the opportunity to have these great children. I've had wonderful friends. I've had experiences that really couldn't be replaced, and opportunities to talk about things that matter to me."
  • On Rielle Hunter's "Oprah" interview:"I didn't watch the whole thing. But I did watch some of it.At first, I didn't watch it. And then I thought, 'Well, that's silly.' I still think this person is so completely unlike me that it's hard to imagine the same person could marry me and be attracted to that woman as well."

12 Lessons We Learned from Rielle Hunter on "Oprah."

• On co-parenting:"I think it's going pretty well. He was the assistant coach of an all-star softball team, and I'd go to the games and cheer and then he comes and asks me some question about substituting, so we're still working pretty evenly with respect to the children."

next: 7 Tips for Traveling With Tweens and Teens
anonymous June 30, 2010, 1:23 PM

She’s a classy lady. I doubt I’d be as nice.

another anonymous July 1, 2010, 2:25 PM

Actually, if she is so classy why does she continue to put herself in front of the camera to talk about her private business? Why does she assume America needs to know? move onnnnnnn…

buy valium December 1, 2010, 3:25 PM

All I can say is keep it up. This blog is so necessary in a time when everyone just wants to talk about how many people someones cheated on their wife with. I mean, thanks for bringing intelligence back to the web, its been sorely missed. Great stuff. Please keep it coming!

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

diete forum December 27, 2010, 4:00 AM

I was been searching the WWW for such information and i wanted to thank u for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

Travis Faria December 29, 2010, 5:20 AM

I saw something about this subject on TV last night. Great post.

cura slabire January 2, 2011, 1:26 AM

I was beeing looking the Web for this information and i wanted to thank you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – 10x

dieta personalizata January 3, 2011, 5:48 PM

I was been scouring the google for this info and just wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Thanks

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 7:18 PM

There are actually a variety of particulars like that to take into consideration. That could be a nice level to deliver up. I offer the thoughts above as common inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up the place crucial thing shall be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around issues like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Both boys and girls really feel the influence of just a second?s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

HostNine Reviews January 10, 2011, 11:00 AM

Keep functioning ,terrific job!

cura slabire January 11, 2011, 9:13 AM

I was beeing after the Internet for this information and just wanted to thank you for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Thank you

test inteligenta January 19, 2011, 7:06 PM

I was beeing looking the google for such info and just wanted to say thanks to you for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

cheap mini blinds January 27, 2011, 4:00 PM

You made some valid points there. I did a web search on the area and found the majority people will have the same opinion with your weblog. Thanks again for sharing this online. I certainly loved every bit of it.

Hot teacher February 12, 2011, 1:20 PM

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show (teach) him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Bertram Bradt March 16, 2011, 9:07 PM

This page appears to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It gives a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to talk about is the most important thing.

dofollow article directories March 29, 2011, 12:58 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Rivka Grismore March 29, 2011, 4:08 PM

There is perceptibly a bunch to identify about this. I assume you made various good points in features also.

Quyen Schmille March 30, 2011, 7:22 AM

I’m still learning from you, but I’m trying to achieve my goals. I absolutely love reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the tips coming. I enjoyed it

iphone case March 30, 2011, 2:15 PM

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Great work!

Christene Remey March 30, 2011, 8:53 PM

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this website wants far more consideration. I’ll in all probability be once more to learn much more, thanks for that info.