Preschooler Breastfeeds Her Doll in a Restaurant!

Momlogic's Momstrosity: It's a tried and true "hot button" issue: Breastfeeding in public. Every few months, a mom is chastised by authorities or bystanders for nursing her child on a bus, or at a sporting event, or, most recently, in a restaurant (the latter was called out by none other than reality-show star Kim Kardashian).

breastfeeding-doll-girl.jpg
I subscribe to the theory that a woman should be able to nurse anywhere, anytime. It's a woman's right ... and, I believe, a preschooler's right. One night when we were out to dinner, my 4-year-old daughter casually announced that she had to "milk her baby" -- and proceeded  to pull down her princess dress so her doll could "latch on." (Remarkably, my daughter simultaneously drank her juice. I must say, I was impressed by her ability to multitask!)

It certainly did get us some attention. A couple of diners giggled (some a bit uncomfortably), but a few gave me the stinkeye. What was I supposed to do?! Suggest to my faux-lactating preschooler that she hide herself with a nursing cover (or "blanket of shame," as one friend jokingly calls them)? Do they even make them in size 4T?

breastfeeding-in-a-restaurant.jpg

next: How to Handle a Mommy Hangover
BFMomma June 23, 2010, 2:27 PM

Good for her! My daughter is 2.5 and she does the same thing - although she hasn’t done it in a restaurant yet - and I know plenty of other Moms whose daughters pick it up when there’s a new baby around, just like changing dolly’s diapers and giving bottles and pushing dolly in the stroller. I think it’s great that they imitate Mommy taking care of the new baby - right down to BF in public! :)

Momma2Nico June 23, 2010, 2:39 PM

Always funny!

veronica June 23, 2010, 3:57 PM

love her!

Vanessa June 23, 2010, 4:23 PM

People who make a big deal out of this, no matter what your age, really need to grow up. Thankfully your daughter is free to do as she pleases because it’s natural.

Desiree Fawn June 23, 2010, 4:55 PM

Too cute ^_^

Lauren @ Hobo Mama June 23, 2010, 5:58 PM

That is officially adorable! That last line is cracking me up big time.

jen June 23, 2010, 7:41 PM

Very cute! As a mom who has breastfed, my daughter used to nurse her plastic baby birds! I thought it was so cute! It is natural. I do agree that some women could be more discreet but I never bat an eye lash when I see a woman breastfeeding…and especially a child! A friend of mine has a 3 yr old daughter who offered her baby brother milk on one side and when he wasn’t interested she offered juice on the other lol!

Jana June 23, 2010, 8:14 PM

Love it!! Good for you on the great example of teaching your daughter the natural way on how baby’s should be fed.

A.W. June 23, 2010, 8:21 PM

I think it is very cute when our little ones “breastfeed” their babies. It makes me feel like I am doing something right!

1 thing in your post bugs me. A Nursing Cover Up is NOT a blanket of SHAME! I use them with my kids & not because of any shame! I do it because it allows me to be in the same room as my male family & friends who are not comfortable with my breast being exposed! I do it out of respect to others! I understand that some kids will not allow covers, but do we really need to start a division among Breastfeeding Moms? Some of us like using cover ups. Why does it have to be that when we do we are not helping “the cause”? We should support each other no matter how we choose to nurse!

M.A.P June 23, 2010, 8:23 PM

I just adore this little girl!

Kara Jane June 23, 2010, 8:37 PM

I shudder to think how the ignorant masses would react if they saw my 2 1/2 year old SON nursing his Elmo doll! Hahaha!

Leigh June 23, 2010, 8:43 PM

We’re okay with them kissing their dolls, pushing them in strollers, dressing them (undressing them & leaving them naked 90% of the time lol), changing their diapers. I love that you were okay with your daughter pretending to nurse her baby doll :)

Our little ladies should grow up thinking it’s normal to bf, instead of normal to give their baby dolls orange juice & “red drink” in a bottle (http://amzn.to/dkLdej) lol

Sarah P. June 23, 2010, 8:51 PM

I love it when my daughter nurses her baby dolls! :) She’s been weaned for a year - she’s 3 1/2 - and still lays on my lap every once in a while and begins to fake-nurse and make kissy sounds against my breast. hehehe

Anonymous June 23, 2010, 8:57 PM

I have a great photo of my daughter “nursing” her doll. In fact, it’s hanging on the wall in my husband’s office where he works…right there on the June page of his photo calendar. :)

Katie Z June 23, 2010, 9:08 PM

My mom refused to buy me baby dolls because they all came with little toy bottles. Now I have a daughter and I know how important breastfeeding is. Your little girl is learning the most ancient womanly art from you. Be proud!

Nickie June 23, 2010, 9:29 PM

I just turned 18 in March and I am breastfeeding my 2 month old. I can only hope that she will carry the tradition. Even if it is only with a baby doll. Its so amazing. Although I was feeding my daughter Makaila Jo at Walmart on a bench in the baby section the other day and got a few nasty looks. It always makes me giggle. But that same day I had an elderly lady ask me why and I replied because I can. She says can’t you do it else where I said too hot in the car and too nasty in the bathroom. Her husband just continued to stair and I asked him if he would like some. They both looked very appuled and walked away! Haha

Nickie June 23, 2010, 9:31 PM

Wendy June 24, 2010, 3:43 AM

I think that’s wonderful. I have a picture of both my daughters nursing their babies on our family room floor. Neither has ever done it in public, but I wouldn’t bat an eye if they did. And if anyone were to make a comment they’d live to regret it!

*Nickie* I have to say good for you! At 18 I wouldn’t have had the courage to say anything like that, but now that I’m over 40 I’m more outspoken. Makes me wonder what you’ll be like in 25 years- watch out LOL!

inmar June 24, 2010, 4:00 AM

I got two boys and my oldest I bf for only 5 months because I just didn’t know how. But. With my second baby I was prepared and well inform. And I still nurse him, I feel so proud when I nurse that I really don’t care about the “looks” some ignorant people give me. I’ll continue until my son want to stop nursing.

Sophie June 24, 2010, 4:48 AM

I think that’s super sweet. My son used to grab my nursing pillow and breastfeed his Elmo.