Preschooler Breastfeeds Her Doll in a Restaurant!

Momlogic's Momstrosity: It's a tried and true "hot button" issue: Breastfeeding in public. Every few months, a mom is chastised by authorities or bystanders for nursing her child on a bus, or at a sporting event, or, most recently, in a restaurant (the latter was called out by none other than reality-show star Kim Kardashian).

breastfeeding-doll-girl.jpg
I subscribe to the theory that a woman should be able to nurse anywhere, anytime. It's a woman's right ... and, I believe, a preschooler's right. One night when we were out to dinner, my 4-year-old daughter casually announced that she had to "milk her baby" -- and proceeded  to pull down her princess dress so her doll could "latch on." (Remarkably, my daughter simultaneously drank her juice. I must say, I was impressed by her ability to multitask!)

It certainly did get us some attention. A couple of diners giggled (some a bit uncomfortably), but a few gave me the stinkeye. What was I supposed to do?! Suggest to my faux-lactating preschooler that she hide herself with a nursing cover (or "blanket of shame," as one friend jokingly calls them)? Do they even make them in size 4T?

breastfeeding-in-a-restaurant.jpg

next: How to Handle a Mommy Hangover
Isabella June 24, 2010, 6:28 AM

love..love..love it.. my 3 yr does this all the time ~~ whoop for tomorrows generation of bf moms~~~

Heather June 24, 2010, 6:52 AM

My daughter, age 3, gives the dollies that sleep with her “mem” just before she goes to sleep at night. My son (20 months) brings me the dolls, and insists that I nurse them!

ann. June 24, 2010, 7:19 AM

I’m not sure how i feel about this…..
yes we should and need to teach our kids about things like this BUT i don’t think it’s ok to do out in public and i’m not to cool with her doing it at all.
i’m also not ok with little boys doing it…i know kids will be kids and they don’t know better but we teach them…we teach them that mommies do that not boys etc.
THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Amy June 24, 2010, 7:28 AM

I’m nursing my two-year-old as I type this. I think it’s adorable when kids nurse their babies. As far as mine are concerned (even though they got bottles of pumped milk while I was at work), it’s the only way babies are ever fed…..they never pretend to feed their dolls with bottles.

Brittney June 24, 2010, 7:40 AM

I have 2 daughters who both nurse there doll’s ..or stuffed animals , all the time . Also if they do play with a bottle they will inform you it is pumped mommy milk! They also enjoy having “water births” in the tub , and one will “deliver” the baby doll from the other one’s t shirt. We have also made them there own baby slings. I think it is amazing what they see everyday . I feel blessed that my kids have already grown accustomed to the ap ways of parenting. I hope it sticks with them as they grow older!

MJ June 24, 2010, 7:42 AM

lol, how am i not surprised that the one person on here who says they are not comfortable with breastfeeding in public is also uncomfortable with little boys doing it, hahaha, wow, you would think we were in 1955, kids are kids, little boys who have sisters play barbies, etc, etc, there is nothing wrong with a little boy nursing his doll.
i think this is awesome, i hope my daughter knows that bfing is the norm, there will be no play bottles for her, so it is either nurse or dolly gets no milk, ;)

clarissa price June 24, 2010, 8:10 AM

i think its awsome!!!!!! i think if more people seen it and it became more popular that breastfeeding would become more natual to all of us as a sosiity. shes not doin anything wrong shes acting out what she knows my daughter dose it all the time

mannequin June 24, 2010, 9:04 AM

Person number two. I just think it’s weird to allow that and I’ll tell you why.

Because there are too many sickos in the world. A child is not able to make an informed decision in this regard, nor is a child prepared to handle the gawks, stares and possibly even sicko stares.
Some things are better left at home.

And a little boy pretending to nurse? Come, come. Boys do not nurse. Surely he needs to be taught that?

e.b. June 24, 2010, 9:20 AM

Yes, I am sure that unless we teach them as toddlers that boys do not make milk from their breasts they will never, ever learn.

I think it’s fabulous.

MJ June 24, 2010, 9:20 AM

mannequin——-surely than we should not let our kids at the beach in bathing suits, too many sickos out there, pedophiles are attracted to fully clothed children also you know, lol.
sounds like it is you uncomfortable with it, trying to put the blame on someone else.
we can’t protect our children from the weird thoughts perverts have, the majority of people are not sick in the head, all we can do is physically protect them from sickos.
a boy play nursing his dolls is fine, why would it not be? kids are kids, trust me, they will figure out pretty early that they can’t really nurse, nothing wrong with imitating mommy, it is no different than a boy giving a baby bottle to a doll, some children do not know what bottles are.

Nicole June 24, 2010, 9:52 AM

I love this. My daughter does it too…she’s 4 and she’s been nursing her babies since her brother was born (3 years ago). I think it’s perfectly normal. Funny thing…sometimes my kids play that each other is the baby and pretend to nurse from each other! Which I have to problem with. Cute.

ann. June 24, 2010, 10:05 AM

mannequin——- i agree!!!!

MJ- i have no problem with breast feeding or doing in public as long as it’s covered…but this i do have a problem with.

Grandma Linda June 24, 2010, 11:05 AM

I breastfed my daughters, who are now 21 and 23 yrs. old. I had a couple of friends who asked me why I did that and I couldn’t believe it. My older daughter who now has two kids, also breastfed and I was so happy that she did. When she was little, she would “breastfed” her baby dolls and her daughter did the same thing. If my grandson was to do that, we would not worry, because I am sure he would not try to do that by the time he turns 18! I think it’s cute that this little girl and others do this. There are so many bad things that happen in this world. Why is anyone going to put down such precious behavior?

Anonymous June 24, 2010, 11:16 AM

Kind of gross

Mom2Be June 24, 2010, 11:17 AM

Since when is modesty equated to shame? I plan to BF and if I need to do it while in public I prefer to be covered. It’s because I prefer not to share my breasts with everyone (just my baby) and I am modest, not because I am ashamed.

Anonymous June 24, 2010, 11:18 AM

I bf but I still think this is weird. Just like I would think it was weird if my toddler was pretending to make out with a doll.

Grandma Linda June 24, 2010, 11:23 AM

It’s a shame that anyone would think breastfeeding, or a child pretending to breastfeed, is gross. Why do people think that our breasts exist? Before bottles, women breastfed, and it is the healthiest way for a baby to be fed. Those who choose not to breastfeed, don’t get chastised for that by the general public. Our children copy our behaviors. Isn’t that better than one copying someone who takes drugs or hits their spouse? There’s always someone ready to pass judgement on something so natural and beautiful.

Grandma Linda June 24, 2010, 11:27 AM

Anonymous, does your child watch you make out with your husband? Kissing your spouse and making out are two different things. I hope you don’t make out in front of your child. Therefore, your child will most likely not make out with a doll in public. I don’t think you will need to worry about that.

Rylee June 24, 2010, 12:15 PM

Love how you people are okay with your young daughters showing their private parts to complete strangers in the name of feeding a baby doll. But then again, you probably do it too, don’t you?

Have some decency for heaven sake.

MJ June 24, 2010, 12:19 PM

rylee, breasts are not genitals, lol, would you let a little boy go topless, because at that age, they have the same equipment on top.

how can you compare breastfeeding with making out, one is sexual, the other is not, get your mind out out of the gutter, the two cannot and should not be compared.