Preschooler Breastfeeds Her Doll in a Restaurant!

Momlogic's Momstrosity: It's a tried and true "hot button" issue: Breastfeeding in public. Every few months, a mom is chastised by authorities or bystanders for nursing her child on a bus, or at a sporting event, or, most recently, in a restaurant (the latter was called out by none other than reality-show star Kim Kardashian).

breastfeeding-doll-girl.jpg
I subscribe to the theory that a woman should be able to nurse anywhere, anytime. It's a woman's right ... and, I believe, a preschooler's right. One night when we were out to dinner, my 4-year-old daughter casually announced that she had to "milk her baby" -- and proceeded  to pull down her princess dress so her doll could "latch on." (Remarkably, my daughter simultaneously drank her juice. I must say, I was impressed by her ability to multitask!)

It certainly did get us some attention. A couple of diners giggled (some a bit uncomfortably), but a few gave me the stinkeye. What was I supposed to do?! Suggest to my faux-lactating preschooler that she hide herself with a nursing cover (or "blanket of shame," as one friend jokingly calls them)? Do they even make them in size 4T?

breastfeeding-in-a-restaurant.jpg

next: How to Handle a Mommy Hangover
Jamie  June 28, 2010, 8:42 PM

Well said A.W.! I agree 100% with everything you said. I used cover-ups with all four of my children when nursing in public or around family & friends… out of respect NOT shame.

Allie June 29, 2010, 3:42 AM

Oh man, the pedophile reasoning is utterly ridiculous. Do you REALLY think that because your child may pull down the side of her shirt and then cover it with a doll’s head a person may kidnap your kid? How about whem she decides to throw her dress over her head being silly? Or when she goes to the beach in her bathingsuit and when it gets stretched from the water it may slip down a bit? If she spills a drink on her shirt at the playground, do you dash to the privacy of the car to change her or do you just throw on a new shirt right there? Do you always change your baby’s diaper in a very protected, closed environment, or have you on occasion changed it on the floor at a friend’s house, or at a Mommy & Me group outing? Because a pedophile may be there watching…

Alison June 29, 2010, 3:46 AM

I think this is too cute! And for those who think we have made great strides with nursing in public, one can only look at these comments and see that we have so much further to go. Toddlers who pretend to nurse are more likely going to be adults who choose to nurse or support their partner in nursing. This sort of play is nothing but healthy and positive.

Little boys who play dress-up don’t think when they are adults that they are supposed to wear feather boas and sparkly shoes every day to work. Little boys who play nurse will also realize that isn’t something they can do, but will also realize that it isn’t something that is dirty, sexual, or offensive.

Allison  June 29, 2010, 4:19 AM

Adorable! As her mom, you are doing a great job by showing your daughter this is natural and right. My 2 year old daughter is the same, she will take a stuffed animal and my nursing cover and feed her baby, very sweet.

Tony June 29, 2010, 5:25 AM

I don’t believe you stupid broads thinking its ok for this 4 year old girl breast feeding her baby doll.
This shows how stupid women are. One that 4 year old should of been taught NOT to do that. Her baby dolls should be LEFT AT HOME.
The reason young girls are having babies is there program by their mother to be a mother. If women had any common sense they would not have a mistake. Yes babies are nothing more than a mistake.
If my daughter ever did that God would not be able to help her when I got finish with her.
Women learn to use your body to service your man and have fun. Get spaded so you can’t have any mistakes.

Pamela June 29, 2010, 5:59 AM

Love it! I also like the fact that her doll has similar blue/green marker on her face like my daughters!!

ann. June 29, 2010, 6:40 AM

@ALLIE and everyone else——-I don’t like how everyone is saying the whole pedifile thing is stupid——-there are wayyyy to many sickos out there and you don’t know how their mind works s you never know if they would be into something like that.

also ALLIE it’s not ok for little girls to be lifting up their dresses.

yes little boys play dress up and hopefully they know and are taught that girls do that and when they get older they can’t do that kind of thing etc….(except if they are gay which i have n problem with-but that’s a different topic lol)but it’s just not ok to have a little baby boy pretend to breast feed

MJ June 29, 2010, 7:06 AM

no, the pedophile thing is stupid, if you wanted to protect them from what pedophiles are thinking, you would have to lock them away, and never let them swim, etc,etc.
my brother in law works in a jail, and he has told me they do many,many psych tests on pedophiles, and they get fully aroused by fully clothed kids, sick, but true.
you still have not given a reason why a little boy should not play nurse, if you want people to actually respect your argument, you need to have more of a reason than ”just because”

Jaime June 29, 2010, 7:16 AM

Bless this little girl’s heart! She’s learning at a very young age that this is a natural part of life and thank God she’s comfortable with it already cause Heaven knows society will try their hardest to wreck that one when she gets older and has children of her own.

Krista June 29, 2010, 10:01 AM
ann. June 29, 2010, 11:05 AM

MJ——i don’t have to give a reason.MY PERSONAL OPINION is it’s wrong.i don’t agree with it and i don’t think it’s right period.

MJ June 29, 2010, 11:59 AM

hey i am not saying your personal opinion is wrong, i am saying people usually respect people’s opinions if they have reasons for backing it up, not just ”because”
it was the best piece of parenting advice i ever got from my mom, always give an explanation and it applies here also, people tend to ”get it” more when they understand the reasons behind why a person feel the way they do, otherwise they write them off for being ”prudes” or what not.

anonymous June 29, 2010, 4:18 PM

Do you think it could possibly be “cry” for attention? Does your daughter think you spend all your time with the baby and not enough with her so that she finds it necessary to imitate you?

MJ June 29, 2010, 5:57 PM

anymous, i hope you are kidding, lol, most little girls play mommy, this makes no sense

Anonymous June 29, 2010, 6:27 PM

@anonymous, as far as I can see the author has only one child.

anonymous June 29, 2010, 7:53 PM

I think this is setting Woman’s Rights back by about 20 years. I have to agree with the person who said this might be why so many teens are having babies. I plan on teaching my daughter that she has choices.

ann. June 29, 2010, 9:10 PM

I agree girls should and need to grow up knowing they have choices in life and have the right to make those choices.

MJ June 30, 2010, 3:43 AM

how the hell is this setting women’s rights back?? lol, normalizing nursing is helping the cause move forward, women have been told for so many years there bodies were not strong enough for a baby to live off a lone by male dominated formula companies, now we know that is a lie and that we have been fooled all this time.
of course women have choices, what the heck does that have to do with anything?

MJ June 30, 2010, 4:04 AM

a good article on why breastfeeding is a feminist issue :D
unless, anonymous, that is what you meant, but i think you meant the opposite, sorry if i misunderstood

kb June 30, 2010, 9:02 AM

Sorry folks. Each to his own, right? The right to do something in public doesn’t mean you have the right to force everyone else to give you the nod of approval. If this is about equal rights, those breastfeeding in public have a right to do it, and those who are uncomfortable have a RIGHT TO FEEL HOW THEY FEEL EVERY BIT AS MUCH. You don’t want them to judge you, but you are all being judgemental of their reaction. Sometimes people are only open minded on their own choices.

Your freedom gives you the right to choose your own behavior but not the right to decide how everyone else reacts to your choice.