- Jane Ubell-Meyer got nerve damage from a gel manicure that wasn't done properly, and now she wants to warn other women.
Could your gel manicure harm you? Here are some warning signs to look out for:
- The technician mixes glue and powder.
- The technician dips your finger in a chemical solution.
- Your salon uses bottles in unmarked containers.
- The products smell unusually strong or have a strange odor.
- Your skin is abraded or cut during the procedure.
- The instruments used on you are not sterilized.
- Your skin or nails hurt during or after the nail service.
- The gels do not soak off easily in solvents designed to remove acrylics.
- The salon is not clean.
- Licenses for the salon and individual operators are not visibly posted.
- You see swelling, redness or other signs of infection.