Going Gray? No Way!

Guest blogger Maria: "Today" did a piece this morning on how women -- no matter how broke they are -- continue to dye their hair.

But it also featured a few women who have dared to go gray. (They call themselves the "Silver Sisters.")

I started going gray in my early thirties, and there is no way in hell I would ever stop coloring my hair -- at least for now. I fear that if I did, it would make me look 65 instead of 35! My husband wouldn't find me as attractive, I wouldn't be able to get as many jobs and I would just be prematurely aging myself.

Yet the women who've gone gray said they feel liberated and free -- and that they've never felt more at ease with themselves and who they are.

Do you dare to go gray ... or (like me) do you say no way?

next: The Ultimate in Lazy Parenting?!
Anonymous June 2, 2010, 4:37 PM

I’m 42 and started getting gray in my twenties (just at crown and by my ears) now it’s along the whole face so if I pull my hair back or wear up, you could see it. I started coloring my hair every 2 months, then every 6 weeks, and now it’s every 4 weeks but I refuses to be gray. Maybe in the mid to late fifties, I will go natural but not until then. I really think that gray hair ages you. For my age, I barely have any wrinkles so I don’t want to look older.

Kelly June 2, 2010, 7:59 PM

No way. I watched my mother-in-law let herself go completely gray in her 50s, and it aged her by 10 years. I’m in my 40s, and people tell me I look much younger. I’ll stick with my bottle-blond locks. Maybe I’ll reconsider the gray thing when I’m in my 70s. LOL

Peggy Gorman June 3, 2010, 3:22 AM

I will wait till my 60’s to stop dying my hair!I am a brunette and will stay that way!!

Danielle June 3, 2010, 5:41 AM

Just like a pixie cut you have to have the face for it. I saw a lady who had long grey hair and it was gorgeous!! I told her. It was a silvery grey and it was beautiful. Her face was lovely and the grey only added to her beauty.

Stacie June 3, 2010, 9:14 AM

I’m 29 (will turn 30 in July) and I will not dye my hair to ‘get rid’ of the few grey hairs that I’ve got. And no, I don’t pull them, either. I feel that it’s selfish to dye one’s hair—that’s money that comes out of the family budget that could go towards something that would benefit everyone else. In addition, all of those chemicals swirling down the drain certainly aren’t good for the environment. Why not just love yourself for who you are? That’s what you do for your partner and your kids. :)

Anonymous June 4, 2010, 4:09 AM

Well, I buy my hair dye and do it myself for under $9. I think I’m worth spending that huge amount on myself every couple of weeks. In fact, I’m coloring my hair today.

MinnesotaMommie July 10, 2010, 2:00 PM

I am 42 years old. I feel you should not let yourself go no matter what the age. If you do not want to color your hair, fine but make sure that you take the time to look your best. Gray hair does age you but you should make sure you are dress well and lose any necessary weight. Make sure you make up, clothes and hair are excellent at all time.