Would You Let Your Kid Swim in Crude Oil?

Summer is upon us -- but thanks to the BP oil spill, most people won't want to hit the Gulf Coast beaches. At least that's what you'd think, anyway ....

A shocking news video made earlier this week -- of a Florida beach literally covered with tar balls -- is disturbing enough. But then the camera pans out to reveal children frolicking in the waves. One little girl steps in a glob of oil, then screams at her mom, "Get the oil off!" The mom, unfazed, remarks to the roving reporter that she has prepared for this family beach trip by packing Goo Gone!

Goo Gone,for those not familiar with the product, is used for "removing greasy, sticky problems such as masking tape, paint and varnish, gum, glue, grease and tar." The product info claims it's safe to use "on nearly any surface."Does that include children?!

Would you let your kids swim at a beach that has oil washing up on shore?

Kristen June 25, 2010, 12:08 PM

Wow, this is disgusting. It’s like purposely throwing cigarettes down your kids throat or letting them ingest something toxic. Get your kids off the beaches. People are just stupid.

vicki June 25, 2010, 12:34 PM

unfortunately, this is the world we have created for ourselves. It is sad to see the state these natural playgrounds are in. If half the population realised the chemicals they expose their own children to with diapers, lotions, shampoos and household products, oil on your feet wouldnt deter you from going to the beach. Funny how we are all activists and perfect parents when tragedy strikes, but sure as the plastic keyboards you type on, we made this petroleum mess, and shoudnt just avoid the problems once they happen, but start making changes to prevent them.
stop judging these parents for allowing their kids to enjoy the earth we are blessed with, so that they can grow up understanding the impact of ravaging its beauty and how to strive for a better tomorrow.

Anonymous June 25, 2010, 6:36 PM

I think it’s funny how she plays dumb about the oil. “Is that what that is?” Durrrrrr… I’m from Pensacola and I would NEVER let my kids play in oil. Nevermind health issues. Could you imagine the kids getting it in their hair, eyes, mouth? What a nightmare. I’m all for letting the kids look at this disaster, but not play in it. There’s a reason we don’t want this stuff on animals and much less children!

JillS June 26, 2010, 6:54 PM

I think there are 2 things that need to be separated here: tar balls and the oil spill.

I wouldn’t go to a beach near the oil spill and I wouldn’t let me child swim in that water.

But I have lived in California, where there has been a ban on offshore drilling (thanks to an accident/spill in Santa Barabara) my entire life and we’ve ALWAYS had tar balls on the beach. That’s because tar deposits bubble up through the ocean floor, just like they do near the famous La Brea Tar Pits. Granted the quantity is generally low, but tar balls exist, are a mess on your heel (which is where you invariably catch one). They aren’t just a bi-product of the oil spill.

vicki June 27, 2010, 9:51 PM

while I am completely horrified at the entire situation, I do think people need to better educate themselves as to WHY the oil is a threat to wildlife and their habitats. It isnt that the oil is so toxic that they are all being poisoned to death by skin contact, its that it is coating their bodies, and affecting their oxygen levels or ability to find food. not to say we should have a glass of straight crude or anything, but it is far less dangerous to us as it is to the sea animals and birds. I think because everyone is so horrified and shocked, people feel more afraid of oil than we need to be. touching it doesnt make you guilty of condoning obviously careless drilling practices.
extraction, processing and burning oil are where most of the immediate danger comes to humans.
let the babies play. there are worse things you can step on in a public bathroom.

Anonymous June 29, 2010, 9:08 AM

I want to know how many people who are outraged at the BP oil spill have given up their cars/motorcylces/other gas guzzling vehicle of choice, and have stopped using plastics sourced from oil.

Nobody? Well, that’s the attitude that caused the spill in the first place.

valium December 1, 2010, 4:08 PM

I absolutely need to frequent this site much more often, information like this is hard to come by.

fall makeup 2013 trends December 22, 2010, 3:59 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

light sheer duet podlaskie  January 14, 2011, 3:28 AM

very very interesting, nice post.

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 12:48 PM

Hey, I found your website is especially fascinating. I loved your webblog a lot. Thanks once more for putting this online. I certainly loved every part of it.

Torty February 1, 2011, 6:11 PM

Simply you are the best!

Torty February 2, 2011, 1:27 AM

I wish this article would never end.

Torty February 3, 2011, 1:11 AM

Great post…awesome picture…congrats!

Torty February 3, 2011, 5:19 AM

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

wybielanie zębów warszawa February 7, 2011, 4:46 AM

Your website is cool!!

stomatolog Ziemiecice February 8, 2011, 9:12 AM

I am only writing to let you understand of the magnificent experience my friend’s daughter found going through your web page. She mastered a good number of details, with the inclusion of what it’s like to have a very effective teaching style to make other folks effortlessly understand specified hard to do issues. You undoubtedly surpassed our own desires. Thank you for rendering the essential, healthy, explanatory and even fun guidance on this topic to Gloria.

Lionel Charves February 11, 2011, 4:46 AM

Hello. Great job. I did not anticipate this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!

orkiestry weselne February 19, 2011, 2:12 AM

I never knew there are so many international readers here…

Rona Siglow February 20, 2011, 8:24 PM

Hello.This post was really fascinating, particularly because I was browsing for thoughts on this matter last Monday.

tablet phone plans mouse pad February 21, 2011, 12:51 AM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.